• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Uh, what time again? Or just direct me to the page # the info is buried on. How many are going?

I think I asked somewhere if anyone tried Pop Burger, Roy whassisname's new place in the meatpacking district. Was there ever any discussion on this?, or again, just direct me to the page # this is buried on. lazy glenn.

I'm in for two.

I'll bring along copies of the eval form (slightly updated per Suzanne F's suggestions.) Have we informally agreed that people can use them if it helps them to evaluate, or choose not to use them at all?

Also, I think we've agreed not to officially tally everyone's scores and to just let the individual reviews form a consensus. As always, I'm happy to help however I can with any of this.

It sounds to me that, as self-appointed recording secretary, I'm dis- :laugh: appointing myself.

:rolleyes:

Jamie

Edited by picaman (log)

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

OKAY!  Next Burger Club meeting will be Saturday the 25th [TOMORROW], 1:00 pm, at Jane Street Tavern.  It's on the corner of Jane and 8th Avenue.  That's like... two or three streets below 14th Street.  It's on the west side of the street.  212-675-2526. 

Here's the info for tomorrow. I'm bringing my camera. Still gotta find a suitable hat for elyse. :raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

So how many Burger Clubs are going on now?  :smile:

Vancouver's having the first meet on Wednesday...yippee!

well, there's the original in NYC.

there's yours in vancouver and beyond.

there's the UK.

there's sorta one in toronto and area, but i think they're thinking there's not enough places to check.

i think NYC and vancouver are the only ones that have actually scheduled meetings, although i haven't checked UK and toronto in a few days.

and of course, NYC is the only one that has actually had a meeting.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

OKAY!  Next Burger Club meeting will be Saturday the 25th [TOMORROW], 1:00 pm, at Jane Street Tavern.  It's on the corner of Jane and 8th Avenue.  That's like... two or three streets below 14th Street.  It's on the west side of the street.  212-675-2526. 

Here's the info for tomorrow. I'm bringing my camera. Still gotta find a suitable hat for elyse. :raz:

I will bring my camera again too - and hopefully this time plenty of pictures will be taken.

See you all tomorrow :smile:

london is up and running, we have our first meeting on tuesday week.

i am also hoping there will be a burger club when i am in new york in november so i could be our first exchange student :-)

btw, could you pm me the evaluation form please? i thinkit might help us refine our thoughts.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

i am also hoping there will be a burger club when i am in new york in november so i could be our first exchange student :-)

I'll be in London on March 16 (and perhaps the 15th as well). So if there's a burger club meeting then, we could do the exchange student program both ways! :biggrin:

Sherri A. Jackson

well, there's the original in NYC.

there's yours in vancouver and beyond.

there's the UK.

there's sorta one in toronto and area, but i think they're thinking there's not enough places to check.

wasn't there a thread on one in toronto area?

remember reading about it somewhere, but a quick glance led to nada.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Once again...

OKAY!  Next Burger Club meeting will be Saturday (tomorrow) the 25th, 1:00 pm, at Jane Street Tavern.  It's on the corner of Jane and 8th Avenue.  That's like... two or three streets below 14th Street.  It's on the west side of the street.  212-675-2526.  Please tell me if you're in so I can make the reservation and make sure they'll have enough burgers.

Lurkers are also welcome and encouraged as I have said before.  BUT if you come, please feel free to come over and say hello.  Maybe we'll have room for you too.  AND if you feel like writing about your findings on another website, please write about it, and us with the dignity, respect, and friendliness that we are showing you.

Enough said.

london is up and running, we have our first meeting on tuesday week.

btw, could you pm me the evaluation form please? i thinkit might help us refine our thoughts.

I am so proud of you!

Burger Club the week of Thanksgiving, guys. Put it in your books!

Confirmed 15 for tomorrow. Please, if anyone's going to cancel (which I hope you won't do) write it here or PM me before 11:30, OR call the restaurant and leave a message for me. Many thanks!

For those who are picky about names, or get confused easily :wink: the name of the place is actually Tavern on Jane. And yes, it is at 8th avenue and Jane street, so don't y'all go running up Hudson looking for it. :biggrin:

I'll have the NEW! IMPROVED!! forms, pencils, thermometers, and the scale.

See you soon.

I'm sorry I most likely won't be able to make it, but then again I thought that last time and was able to pull it together at the last minute. Can somebody PM me a cell-phone contact so I can check in with the group in the event that my availability changes? Thanks.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I've got the 411 from Picaman so I'm all set -- I'll do my very best to make it if at all possible. Love ya!

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That was fun. Great group of people! Y'all continue to prove my hypothesis that food people one meets online are way cooler than, well, opera people one meets online. :smile:

Oh...right...there was food, wasn't there? I thought it was a pretty tasty burger, all things considered. VERY beefy. I ordered medium rare but got rare - an unusual experience right there. Texture was a tad mushy, bun was standard mass-produced but nice & soft. There was too much cheddar on mine, I ended up with a glop of BRIGHT yellow cheese on the plate. Nicely juicy & greasy though. And the fries were terrific.

now I need a nap.

K, who gets the "geek" award for the first post-Club posting of the day.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Well, FG, you missed a good time but not a great burger. The fries, however, were stupendous! Fresh russets, fried twice in corn oil, crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

This burger probably rated below Molly's overall, mostly because of inconsistencies. Although the lighting was better. :biggrin:

Geez, was this today? Sorry guys, I actually meant to try for this one. I guess I missed the company, if not the burger. :wink:

Not that it was the issue with me this time (since I just plain tuned out eGullet for the most part this week, and have also been having car trouble) but you guys have a bad track record for dates. 1.) same day as Pig Pickin' 2.) same day as important World Series Game

What's next? The saturday after Thanksgiving when tons of people are away? :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I think it'll be the Tuesday of Thanksgiving week. That or Friday, as I have to travel to Bloomfield to drop off pies and pao de queijo for customers at the market (which is closing this week). Anyway, it'll be then because Tarka will be in from England! Now that I think about it, we might have one before Tarka comes in, but definitely one when she's here. :smile:

I thought the burger was great. Mine was, anyway. I will say though, that my first one was waaay overdone. I sent it back. My second one was perfect in every way. I got char, I got blood. Who could ask for anything more?

The bun was mass produced, but again, anything other than the meat is incidental to me. It got high marks with me because it didn't suck, and I don't care much about it in the first place. It let the meat come through, and that's what I care about.

Fabulous fries too.

Edited by elyse (log)