• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Captions for the pictures above:

1. We mark our territory.

2. The weigh-in

3. Taking baby's temperature (and those fabulous fries!)

4. Bun looks better than it was; good pickle chips, though

5. NYC Burger Gothic

6. Mmmmm, chocolate

Thanks, forkAndPen for helping Sherribabee! :smile:

had a great time again with y'all. although i liked the molly's burger better than ToJ's, this one had its good qualities too. and any deficiencies were more than compensated for by the 1) company and 2) AMAZINGLY good spicy hot chocolate across the street :wub:

Edited by pnapoli (log)

5. NYC Burger Gothic

Can you please identify who is in this photo for those of us who weren't in attendance?

Merci beaucoup. :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Have you signed up for the PIE potluck?

Oh ho! I see how you work around here. Getting me obsessed with one thread wasn't good enough. Fine, I'll hop on over to pie land. Curse you Burger Pie lady...Curse you! :biggrin:

K.

I know this was burger club, but those fries look really good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

Burger Club pictures from Sherribabee  - should work this time.  Enjoy! :biggrin: 
  • The burger on the designer scale wrapped in plastic is pretty funny. It looks like it belongs in a chic art gallery. (Is that a postal scale? It's too small to be a people scale, unless that's a really big burger.)
  • What is the ominous black thingy being inserted into the burger in the next picture?
  • Hamburger Gothic is a classsic (of course!)
  • I don't see E=bc² on the wall
  • The crayons do not look like they're artisanal
  • I wanna see pics of the rest of the nefarious burger gang
  • What are the three rules of the burger club again?
  • May I have extra salt on my fries?

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Point by point responses:

• The scale is my Salton kitchen scale. I think I talked about it on this weighty thread.
  • "the ominous black thingy" is a digital instant-read thermometer. Hey, we're serious about our research. :biggrin:
  • BC decided that every event needs its own version of American Gothic posted. Whether or not anyone listens to us is up for discussion.
  • "E=bc² " is elsewhere, right?
  • Sometimes mass-produced taste just fine. I'm no expert.
  • The membership is shifty, I mean shifting, so it's not always the same at each meeting.
  • Refer back to Rule 1.
  • You bet. Salt on fries is good. And those fries were great!

Burger Club pictures from Sherribabee  - should work this time.  Enjoy!   :biggrin: 

• The burger on the designer scale wrapped in plastic is pretty funny. It looks like it belongs in a chic art gallery. (Is that a postal scale? It's too small to be a people scale, unless that's a really big burger.)
  • What is the ominous black thingy being inserted into the burger in the next picture?

That ominous black thingie was one of the 27 thermometers Suzanne F brought with her. :raz: That was also her designer scale (which you can see ForkandPen holding in Burger Gothic.

The fries were delicious. I'll be making a special trip back just for those! "I'd like and order of fries with some fries on the side, please. And some fries for dessert." And then a trip across the street for that spicey hot chocolate.

I made brownies last night (the standard Baker's Chocolate recipe) and threw in a little cinnamon and cayenne to see if they'd mimic the flavor of that hot chocolate. Pretty close!

I wanted to get a few pics of people shoving the burgers into their mouths, with globs of ketchup on their chins, etc. but I was too engaged in the lively conversation to remember to snap pics. I'll remember next time. Although, everyone seemed to want to 'approve' the pics beforehand, so I doubt any really good ones will ever get posted here. Unless, as VP of Monkeywrenching, I decide to give myself veto power over the approval process.

Sherri A. Jackson

I made brownies last night (the standard Baker's Chocolate recipe) and threw in a little cinnamon and cayenne to see if they'd mimic the flavor of that hot chocolate.  Pretty close!

Haven't been to the chocolate bar, but I'll bet that the spicy hot chocolate is Jacques Torres Wicked Hot chocolate. Its flavor comes from allspice, cinnamon, ancho chilis, and chipolte chilis

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

I made brownies last night (the standard Baker's Chocolate recipe) and threw in a little cinnamon and cayenne to see if they'd mimic the flavor of that hot chocolate.  Pretty close!.

I found a description of this magic elixir on the Chocolate Bar's website:

Wicked Hot Chocolate

A spicy hot chocolate concocotion of allspice, cinnamon, ground sweet ancho chili peppers, and smoked ground chipolt chili peppers--the perfect kick...

I see from mjc's post that it basically is Torres'. They sell the mix on the website and at the shop (along with Torres and Garrison chocolates). It's pricy, but it's made with real chocolate not cocoa powder. When I moved back to the boonies after living above the Chocolate Bar for several months, it was the next best thing to being there.

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

I'm especially sorry that I missed the Chocolate Bar. If anyone wants to form a splinter group of Burger Club called Chocolate Club, I am so there. :smile:

man, only a month old, and already we're forming

radical splinter groups.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Burger Club pictures from Sherribabee  - should work this time.  Enjoy!   :biggrin: 

That ominous black thingie was one of the 27 thermometers Suzanne F brought with her. :raz: That was also her designer scale (which you can see ForkandPen holding in Burger Gothic.

The fries were delicious. I'll be making a special trip back just for those! "I'd like and order of fries with some fries on the side, please. And some fries for dessert." And then a trip across the street for that spicey hot chocolate.

I made brownies last night (the standard Baker's Chocolate recipe) and threw in a little cinnamon and cayenne to see if they'd mimic the flavor of that hot chocolate. Pretty close!

I wanted to get a few pics of people shoving the burgers into their mouths, with globs of ketchup on their chins, etc. but I was too engaged in the lively conversation to remember to snap pics. I'll remember next time. Although, everyone seemed to want to 'approve' the pics beforehand, so I doubt any really good ones will ever get posted here. Unless, as VP of Monkeywrenching, I decide to give myself veto power over the approval process.

Funny, the scale in the American Gothic pic didn't register because it's transparent.

Speaking of which, what's on Ms. American Gothic's fork? I was assuming it's a pickle slice, but now everything's in doubt.

I wanted to see pics of the attending shifty, er shifting members. I find the explanation of why there are no other nefarious bc member pics rather shifty. Something clandestine must have going down and I bet that the crayons were somehow involved.

BC decided that every event needs its own version of American Gothic posted. Whether or not anyone listens to us is up for discussion.

In light of this decision and the American Gothic picture from the Pig Pickin', maybe we can get the mods to start an "egullet as American Gothic" forum. :laugh:

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

Speaking of which, what's on Ms. American Gothic's fork?  I was assuming it's a pickle slice, but now everything's in doubt.

I wanted to see pics of the attending shifty, er shifting members.  I find the explanation of why there are no other nefarious bc member pics rather shifty.  Something clandestine must have going down and I bet that the crayons were somehow involved.

She's holding a thermometer.

Who you callin' shifty?

Sherri A. Jackson

Speaking of which, what's on Ms. American Gothic's fork?  I was assuming it's a pickle slice, but now everything's in doubt.

I wanted to see pics of the attending shifty, er shifting members.  I find the explanation of why there are no other nefarious bc member pics rather shifty.  Something clandestine must have going down and I bet that the crayons were somehow involved.

She's holding a thermometer.

Who you callin' shifty?

Point by point responses:
  • The membership is shifty, I mean shifting, so it's not always the same at each meeting.

It's a thermometer held by me.

That makes more sense because it would have been an awfully pale pickle (on a fork.)

I'm especially sorry that I missed the Chocolate Bar. If anyone wants to form a splinter group of Burger Club called Chocolate Club, I am so there. :smile:

man, only a month old, and already we're forming

radical splinter groups.

The first rule of Chocolate Club is don't call us a radical splinter group. :raz:

I was thinking about going out for a salad for lunch today, but after seeing those pictures I'm going to have to find a burger! Maybe All-State Cafe (my favorite on the UWS) or Fairway (never tried it, but will report back here if I do).

Do y'all mind if I join the Burger Club, or has this elite squad already closed ranks?

When/where is the next meeting?

Everyone is welcomed to join. You just have to respond when I ask for a count and also for a final count the day before. The next meeting will be in about two weeks, and I'll announce the place in about a week or less.

You like All-State?

I was thinking about going out for a salad for lunch today, but after seeing those pictures I'm going to have to find a burger!  Maybe All-State Cafe (my favorite on the UWS) or Fairway (never tried it, but will report back here if I do). 

Do y'all mind if I join the Burger Club, or has this elite squad already closed ranks?

Under approval of burger head elyse - you are welcome to join burger club!! First task is to go out and eat a burger for lunch (you were going to do that anyway :smile: ).

Not exactly sure when the next meeting is - i think we talked about the Tuesday before thanksgiving but that might be the one after the next one. Oh well when a day is set it will be posted.

I was thinking about going out for a salad for lunch today, but after seeing those pictures I'm going to have to find a burger!  Maybe All-State Cafe (my favorite on the UWS) or Fairway (never tried it, but will report back here if I do). 

We'd be happy to have you join out shifty...er, shifting group. The more, the merrier!

We haven't decided on our next meeting yet, but I know we're waiting on a suggestion from one of London Burger Club members who will be in town in a few weeks. We'd like to plan a meeting when she can join us. I think the last tentaive suggestion was for Tuesday Nov. 25.

But maybe we'll meet again before then? Elyse? Anyone?

Sherri A. Jackson