• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Nay to Old Town. Just okay for a burger, not even up to Molly's, IMNSHO. I mean, a good enough lump of meat, but otherwise boring.

But do put City Hall on the list as a possibility. Caveat: it's only open for lunch M-F. Maybe the downtown BC contingent can do a weekday tasting? JosephB? alacarte? I'm in. :biggrin:

alanamoana: I think somebody mentioned "rare" a few pages back; Blondie, maybe? It was not a positive report.

Can someone please post an executive summary so us poor souls who have been vacationing from eglutton don't have to look through umpteen pages of drivel and Elyse ranting about all the rules??? [what's rule #2 again?] Like, how'd the first one go, is there a date set up for the next? I assume it'll be at everyone's favorite, CB? And Elyse roools!

Nay to Old Town.  Just okay for a burger, not even up to Molly's, IMNSHO.  I mean, a good enough lump of meat, but otherwise boring.

But do put City Hall on the list as a possibility.  Caveat: it's only open for lunch M-F.  Maybe the downtown BC contingent can do a weekday tasting?  JosephB?  alacarte?  I'm in.  :biggrin:

alanamoana: I think somebody mentioned "rare" a few pages back; Blondie, maybe? It was not a positive report.

You're on Suzanne. Just wait for me to get back from Europe - Nov. 6.

Can someone please post an executive summary so us poor souls who have been vacationing from eglutton don't have to look through umpteen pages of drivel and Elyse ranting about all the rules???  [what's rule #2 again?] Like, how'd the first one go, is there a date set up for the next?  I assume it'll be at everyone's favorite, CB?  And Elyse roools!

Okay, lessee: we had 12 or 13 at Molly's, including :shock: Fat Guy, some relatively new members, and a couple of hangers-on who are welcome to join us anytime. We could barely see our burgers (dim lights), but had a very enlightening discussion. The burger ended up rating just under 70 out of 100. The evaluation is HERE. The form has since been changed.

We're looking at Saturday 10/25 for the next official meeting, at a site yet to be determined.

Welcome back. We missed you. :biggrin:

I looked at the site, and saw that $$ = 21 - x dollars, so is out for me.  But it's on my list to call about.  Anyone else who is willing to research is welcomed to it! :biggrin:

Don't forget, we're $20 in the black. That should bring your cost down to $19!

:hmmm:

Can someone please post an executive summary so us poor souls who have been vacationing from eglutton don't have to look through umpteen pages of drivel and Elyse ranting about all the rules???  [what's rule #2 again?] Like, how'd the first one go, is there a date set up for the next?  I assume it'll be at everyone's favorite, CB?  And Elyse roools!

glenn, if you want to read our actual comments, it's a bit down on page 12.

I think rule #2 is that Burger Joint is on Broadway and 77th. :angry:

Is that rools, or drools?

:biggrin:

Alright, alright, I may be somewhat puritanical with my burgers, but I can also verge on the twisted. Last night I went to Fink's BBQ with Rachel and Jason after the farmer's market, and he offered us a sample of... get ready for it... bacon chocolate chip cookies. Holy Jesus, were they good. If you can get there, go. No kidding, GO.

Twenty Bleeping pages about What ????? Could we just create another category and have this as a sub-group like France and just rename this thread as Elyse's-carnivorous-Fan Club :raz::laugh:

If this proposition does pass egullet's board of election/Selection (Hey If Arnold can become Gv'nor, my Prop. can also pass through too no ? ) I'll promise to vote for W

[Now ducking for cover and preparing to escape to AMS for rijstaffel :cool: ]

anil

OKAY! Next Burger Club meeting will be this coming Saturday (NOT today) the 25th, 1:00 pm, at Jane Street Tavern. It's on the corner of Jane and 8th Avenue. That's like... two or three streets below 14th Street. It's on the west side of the street. 212-675-2526. Please tell me if you're in so I can make the reservation and make sure they'll have enough burgers.

Lurkers are also welcome and encouraged as I have said before. BUT if you come, please feel free to come over and say hello. Maybe we'll have room for you too. AND if you feel like writing about your findings on another website, please write about it, and us with the dignity, respect, and friendliness that we are showing you.

Enough said.

Edited by elyse (log)

Oh, hooray, I'm in! I have an audition that day, but it's earlier...what better way to celebrate a good - I hope - audition than with a BIG JUICY BURGER, right? :biggrin:

See y'all there.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Hey elyse, you got it right this time, like not picking a date when I'm away, accomodating my work schedule and only making me walk 3 blocks. Who cares if the burgers suck (which they don't), I'll be there with the usual stipulation, I have the right to bail at the last moment.

I'm in. Once again, I'll bring the paraphenalia (gram scale, thermometers, etc. :wink: ) and forms for those who wish to use them. Is that mandatory? Probably not, but it actually makes it fun (all right, call me a sicko, or call me an SSB-wannabe).

Picaman: I discovered that while I could saved the form in Word, when I opened it I got gobbledegook. Can you pm me with how to save an Adobe file so that I can print it out? TIA. And I'll bet Kirk made a gorgeous Hedwig!

Hey elyse, you got it right this time, like not picking a date when I'm away, accomodating my work schedule and only making me walk 3 blocks.  Who cares if the burgers suck (which they don't), I'll be there with the usual stipulation, I have the right to bail at the last moment.

We aim to please. :wink:

If you bail, please let me know like at least an hour before so we don't wait for you? Or you can call the restaurant.

xoxox

I'm in.  Once again, I'll bring the paraphenalia (gram scale, thermometers, etc.  :wink: ) and forms for those who wish to use them.  Is that mandatory?  Probably not, but it actually makes it fun (all right, call me a sicko, or call me an SSB-wannabe).

Fearless Fass to the rescue! Forms...eh... they're not imperative.

bacon makes me look sexy. Tee hee!

In.

And while you're at it, you guys can teach me all about the differences from one hamburger to the next. Maybe at the end of this run I can get that "differentiation of palate", but right now I don't. In all honesty, a hamburger is a hamburger. I haven't learned to differentiate hamburger A from hamburger B, although I know to differentiate a big fat juicy hamburger (if you define "a hamburger" as "non-BK/McD hamburgers") from the crap served at BK and McD's. :biggrin: Make sense? Can't trash all fast food burgers since not all fast food sandwiches are created equal. (Sassy's and In-And-Out are two wonderful examples of replacements to BK and McD's.)

Soba

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)