• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

sherri, you can check the mta site in the morning for delays and reroutes. I've found it to be sort of reliable.

Bacon brim?  Do we have to bring up the meat dress again? :biggrin:

why, does all meat make you look sexy, or just bacon?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

sherri, you can check the mta site in the morning for delays and reroutes. I've found it to be sort of reliable.

Weeble and Bob, this week. Suzanne's sig line.

OT, but I'm really curious as to how the bacon chocolate chip cookies tasted.  :blink: Were they salty? Sweet? Had bits of bacon in them, or was bacon grease just used in place of butter?

They had tiny bits of crumbled bacon in them. The texture was the crispy slightly greasy feel of an all butter chocolate chip cookie, but the taste had a salty edge to it. Actually, I wonder if he just added the bacon fat or if he substituted some of the butter. I think it should sub, but don't think he did. Also, I wonder if making them with half shortening would affect the texture. Now, I like lightly salty sweet chocolate chip cookies. The giveaway cookies at the Whippany Diner in NJ have that, yum, and these get that from the bacon. Also, there was a hint of the bacon's smoke coming through.

Please be aware, though, that every time a new episode of Weebl and Bob comes out, I change my sig line to link to the new one.  So the one in question is http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/tv.html.

Just another reason I love eGullet: where I first met weebl and bob.  :wub:

bacon makes me look sexy

that's why I eat bacon

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Weeble and Bob, this week. Suzanne's sig line.

ah yes, i see. i've only checked weeb and bob a few times since i saw it on suzanne's sig.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

OT, but I'm really curious as to how the bacon chocolate chip cookies tasted.  :blink: Were they salty? Sweet? Had bits of bacon in them, or was bacon grease just used in place of butter?

Ling, I'vew been trying to do this for 24 hours. It's Fink's place, and it's in NJ forums.

Rachel, I think Fink said he substituted a tablespoon of fat for butter.

Edited by elyse (log)

HWOE might consent to accompany me.

But there's a problem: he asked, "Do I have to eat a burger?" :unsure:

"Well," I beefed, "that's the whole point."

"But what if I don't want to eat a burger?" he whined, um, riposted.

"Maybe you can order something else, but you'll have to at least taste mine and evaluate the taste."

So: whaddya say, guys? Would that be acceptable? Or do I have to experience another HWOE-free afternoon? (Which might not be an entirely bad thing, since we see each other 24/7 otherwise :raz: )

I tried my second Piper's Kilt burger (Picaman's pick; located on Broadway, between 207th and 208th st.). Again, it was a very good pub style bacon cheeseburger for $6.75. As an added perk they will include all you can drink (beer/"champagne"/brunch drinks) if you get the $12.95 brunch package (between 12-3PM).

Picaman,

How does the Piper's Kilt compare to Molly's? Do you think we should add it to the club's list of places to visit?

I also had a hamburger on Saturday at Brasserie Perrier in Philadelphia (16th and Walnut). This was an enormous (allegedly 10oz., but I suspect it was larger) cheeseburger with sauteed onions and ham on a brioche bun for $12. Very good, but not quite in the same league as the JUdson Grill hamburger.

Robert

Picaman,

How does the Piper's Kilt compare to Molly's?  Do you think we should add it to the club's list of places to visit?

Of course I'm a bit prejudiced 'cause it's in my 'hood :smile: but I'd personally rate the Piper's Kilt burger above Molly's and a bit below McHale's. Course it's all subject to subjectivity.

Gee, I didn't know about the brunch deal :rolleyes::laugh:

I think Piper's Kilt might make a nice future Burger Club expedition. In addition, the #12 bus stops at the front door, so we could make a post-Club Arthur Avenue field trip if people were interested; ~20 minutes away on the bus.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Yesterday my wife and I had burgers at Big Nick's "Burger Joint" on Broadway, one of the places on the list. We ordered two plain 8 oz. burgers: one rare, and the other medium rare. Cost: $4.25 each. The burger was tasty thanks to the nice natural charred flavor and juiciness. However, the meat quality was mediocre. I would say that the meat at Molly's was better, even if it was less juicy.

As an aside I was wondering about the pickle. Don't you put sliced pickle on the burger? Why the pickle spears? In any event, I haven't had a good crisp dill pickle at any burger place. I think I'll bring my own next time.

I'd like to withdraw my earlier recommendation for Jackson Hole. Went to the one which I thought was better than the others on Friday and was sorely disappointed.

The burger was way too greasy (my bottom bun was soaked through) and completely lacking in flavor. The bun was borderline stale, and even if it were fresh, it still would've been less than appealing.

Sherri A. Jackson

As an aside I was wondering about the pickle.  Don't you put sliced pickle on the burger?  Why the pickle spears?  In any event, I haven't had a good crisp dill pickle at any burger place.  I think I'll bring my own next time.

Yes! I'm annoyed with pickle spears too (in place of sliced pickles).

And it seems as though most pickle spears served are a sad version of sour pickles. Not even close to anything worth eating. Gimme a garlicky dill spear and I'd bee happy. Gimme garlicky dill slices and I'll be really happy!

Sherri A. Jackson

HWOE might consent to accompany me. 

But there's a problem: he asked, "Do I have to eat a burger?"  :unsure: 

"Well," I beefed, "that's the whole point." 

"But what if I don't want to eat a burger?" he whined, um, riposted. 

"Maybe you can order something else, but you'll have to at least taste mine and evaluate the taste."

So: whaddya say, guys? Would that be acceptable?  Or do I have to experience another HWOE-free afternoon?  (Which might not be an entirely bad thing, since we see each other 24/7 otherwise  :raz: )

:hmmm: We'll talk tomorrow.

Reminds me of the Woody Allen movie line about tuna-mint-chip cookies.

Which, where, huh?

Picaman,

How does the Piper's Kilt compare to Molly's?  Do you think we should add it to the club's list of places to visit?

You know, I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to find the last compilation of places to visit, quote it, and add your newest to the bottom of the list. I'm sure I'm letting some fall through the cracks.