• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

I'm especially sorry that I missed the Chocolate Bar. If anyone wants to form a splinter group of Burger Club called Chocolate Club, I am so there. :smile:

man, only a month old, and already we're forming

radical splinter groups.

The first rule of Chocolate Club is don't call us a radical splinter group. :raz:

:laugh:

Pizza Club is next on my list.

I was thinking about going out for a salad for lunch today, but after seeing those pictures I'm going to have to find a burger!  Maybe All-State Cafe (my favorite on the UWS) or Fairway (never tried it, but will report back here if I do). 

Do y'all mind if I join the Burger Club, or has this elite squad already closed ranks?

When/where is the next meeting?

We'd be happy to have you join out shifty...er, shifting group. The more, the merrier!

We haven't decided on our next meeting yet, but I know we're waiting on a suggestion from one of London Burger Club members who will be in town in a few weeks. We'd like to plan a meeting when she can join us. I think the last tentaive suggestion was for Tuesday Nov. 25.

But maybe we'll meet again before then? Elyse? Anyone?

I thought y'all were heading over to a Staten Island Wendy's to see if they have those automatic change-chute thingies.

Gustatory illiterati in an illuminati land.

Everyone is welcomed to join.  You just have to respond when I ask for a count and also for a final count the day before.  The next meeting will be in about two weeks, and I'll announce the place in about a week or less.

K?

I thought y'all were heading over to a Staten Island Wendy's to see if they have those automatic change-chute thingies.

Okay. Next meeting will be at Wendy's in Staten Island. Tuesday the 28th, which is tomorrow, 1:00.

(Psst! Don't tell hillbill we're not going there. I'm trying to get him off my back).

Okay.  Next meeting will be at Wendy's in Staten Island.  Tuesday the 28th, which is tomorrow, 1:00.

(Psst!  Don't tell hillbill we're not going there.  I'm trying to get him off my back).

Which bus goes there? I'm NOT taking the ferry...

:raz:

Sherri A. Jackson

Okay.  Next meeting will be at Wendy's in Staten Island.  Tuesday the 28th, which is tomorrow, 1:00.

(Psst!  Don't tell hillbill we're not going there.  I'm trying to get him off my back).

To make it easier here's the list of the Staten Island locations.

BTW, that accident, like a 100 year storm, was a 100 year accident. It was the first and only fatal accident in the ferry's 98 year municipal history. So it should be safe again until about the year 2100 or so. :blink:

8 Wendy's Restaurants found that matched your search criteria.

1661 HYLAN BLVD., STATEN ISLAND, NY 10305  (718) 979-8178 Click here for map

SHOW PLACE CENTER, 141 E.SERVICE ROAD, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10314  (718) 761-5638 Click here for map

2655 RICHMOND AVENUE, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10314  (718) 982-6161 Click here for map

250 ARDEN AVENUE, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10312  (718) 966-0463 Click here for map

26 RICHMOND HILL ROAD, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10314  (718) 761-3950 Click here for map

1761 FOREST AVE., STATEN ISLAND, NY 10303  (718) 981-2102 Click here for map

2710 HYLAN BOULEVARD, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10306  (718) 668-9203 Click here for map

6420 AMBOY ROAD, STATEN ISLAND, NY 10309

You like All-State?

I do. Have you ever been?

I'm no expert on NYC burgers, but I think the ones at All-State have a lot of flavor. They also come with grilled onions on request, and I'm a big fan of a sloppy bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions. Hope this doesn't offend any burger club purists. I also am a fan of All-State because it's one of the few places on the UWS that hasn't been completely yuppified, and is populated by a friendly group of regulars. I'm not sure their burger could compete with some of the places you've targeted for BC, but I'll be interested to find out.

I live a few blocks away, yet for years I never noticed All-State tucked away in a basement near West End on 72nd St. Oddly enough, it was a born and raised upper East sider at work who told me about it. When I told him I thought that J.G. Mellons (two blocks from this guy's apartment) had my favorite burger in NY and that I was jealous he lived so close by, he laughed and said that he had for years been crossing the Park to my neighborhood for his favorite burger at All-State.

OK, it's noon. Time for a quick burger strike.

Edited by Felonius (log)

Oh, and if the Pizza Club is going to be a serious undertaking, the Staten Island pizzerias will have to be on the agenda so you'll have to figure a way to get here! :wub:

And once the Sri Lankan Club get going, well what's supposedly the best Sri Lankan in the tri-state area is a few blocks from my home, and as for the Polish Club, we've got a Polish place that's in contention, and as part of the rounds of the Mexican Club, there's a taqueria that suppposedly ranks right up there too. Not to mention the Italian Ices Club. How could it complete its research without a visit to Ralph's Famous Italian Ices to see how it ranks?

(I've heard rumors of good non-Wendy's burgers out here too, but I'm not sure if I believe 'em anymore after vicariously and surreptitiously joining the Burger Club.)

Edited by hillbill (log)

E = B x C ^ 2 was placed on another wall, but wasn't photographed.

I haven't been to All State in years. That block of 72nd street is like a neighborhood to itself. Different now without Royale Bakery. Essen deli/buther still there. Lots of other restaurants open and close frequently, or jump from one side of the street to the other.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

I live a few blocks away, yet for years I never noticed All-State tucked away in a basement near West End on 72nd St.

I knew this place sounded familiar, just couldn't put my finger on where it was. I pass it all too frequently.

Different now without Royale Bakery.

:sad: I loved that place. I bought my challahs there every week.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

BC decided that every event needs its own version of American Gothic posted. Whether or not anyone listens to us is up for discussion.

In light of this decision and the American Gothic picture from the Pig Pickin', maybe we can get the mods to start an "egullet as American Gothic" forum. :laugh:

I knew I should have patented this idea. :hmmm:

I think it's an excellent concept for a special thread full of pictures recreating famous paintings with a food theme. How bout a last supper?

Gotta get me to burger club one of these days.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I think it's an excellent concept for a special thread full of pictures recreating famous paintings with a food theme. How bout a last supper?

So, who's gonna volunteer for the picture which is the current focus of the literary smackdown? Not me!

Sherri A. Jackson

So, who's gonna volunteer for the picture which is the current focus of the literary smackdown? Not me!

Aw, come on. It's tastefully done.

-- A.B.

Al dente's coming to Burger Club?

Remind me to actually do my hair.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

K

:wub:

I don't know if I'll ever have a trip up to NYC that coincides with burger club, but if so, you'll have plenty of warning.

-- A.B.

K

:wub:

I don't know if I'll ever have a trip up to NYC that coincides with burger club, but if so, you'll have plenty of warning.

Oh--my guess is that we could probably arrange a Burger Club meeting to coincide with your visit. Elyse? Sherri? Am I right, or am I right?

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Oh--my guess is that we could probably arrange a Burger Club meeting to coincide with your visit.  Elyse?  Sherri?  Am I right, or am I right?

K

Of course! We'll always be willing to accomodate our out-of-town eGulls. :smile:

Sherri A. Jackson