• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger Club

elyse

Please tell me you're joking! For the love of . . . . !!! Please!

why would i be joking? i wasn't claiming it's the best burger in new york. but it is very delicious and everyone i know likes them. the meat is good and they're only $2. don't knock it till you try it. not destination food, but if you happen to be in the neighborhood... a mere five or six blocks from peter lugers.

sorry, thought this was a more general thread about good burgers in new york and didn't fully realize the steingarten-esque nature of the quest.

You're absolutely right; I shouldn't knock until I try it. O.K. I'll tell you what. Why don't we combine a pilgrimage to Luger's with a visit to Snacky's. Whataya say?

I was inspired by this article: NYT article on Hamburgers To try the burger at JUdson grill last night. Very good high end burger ($15). Large, very flavorful (and well salted) charcoal grilled patty (10oz.) served on a brioche bun. I am not too keen on the bun, but it was one of the best burgers I have had in a while. See the picture in the NYT article (in the "slide show")

It is available at the bar M-F.

I was inspired by this article: NYT article on Hamburgers

This burger sounds pretty good--I'm going to put it on my personal "must-try" list :smile:

elyse: frustration alert. The referenced NY Times article refers to the Parker Meridian place as the "Burger Joint." :unsure:

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

One of my favorite burgers is at an unlikely location -- McSorley's Old Ale House in Greenwich Village. Its an extremely simple burger, just a ground beef patty on a bun. But its like a 1/4lb, maybe close to 1/3, and its delicious. And its the ideal side dish to six to ten half-pints of ale and a cheese plate. Plus its only like four bucks or something.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

elyse:  frustration alert.  The referenced NY Times article refers to the Parker Meridian place as the "Burger Joint."  :unsure:

Jamie

I didn't have the heart to tell her; she was soooo adamant about it.

Change that to IS, and you've got it right. NYT is a pack of idiots.

why would i be joking? i wasn't claiming it's the best burger in new york. but it is very delicious and everyone i know likes them. the meat is good and they're only $2. don't knock it till you try it. not destination food, but if you happen to be in the neighborhood... a mere five or six blocks from peter lugers.

sorry, thought this was a more general thread about good burgers in new york and didn't fully realize the steingarten-esque nature of the quest.

Sorry, bpearis, it does sound lovely and affordable and all, but it's just not what we're going for in the BC. We're doing the burger as a burger, not as a concoction. I mean, I might want to try a charcoal cheddar burger smothered in onions with a molten chocolate center, but it's just not right for here. (That is actually sounding tempting to me right now.)

Sorry, bpearis, it does sound lovely and affordable and all, but it's just not what we're going for in the BC. We're doing the burger as a burger, not as a concoction. I mean, I might want to try a charcoal cheddar burger smothered in onions with a molten chocolate center, but it's just not right for here. (That is actually sounding tempting to me right now.)

That lets me off the hook.

Here are the suggestions so far:

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro :raz:

Judson Grill?

Mc Sorley's

Any others?

Where else do we want?

Island Burger?

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole?

Where else? Any yeas? Any nays?

Edited by elyse (log)

In which way?

Prime Burger, the old place mentioned in Richman's article, sounds interesting.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro :raz:

Judson Grill?

Mc Sorley's

Any others?

Where else do we want?

Island Burger?

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole?

Where else? Any yeas? Any nays?

I think PM was always on the list in the guise of Burger Joint.

In which way?

I caved on the suggestion made by bpearis after bpearis suggested that I was acting like the taste police.

You are fighting the good fight for us all Jamie.

This makes me want to take a burger road trip - hmmm.

Thanks for the report.

Joe

We needed to do this road trip on the cheap, so uniting purposes seemed like a good idea :smile:

Next stop on the Burger Club road tour was lunch today at Cold Harbor Restaurant on Route 360 (Mechanicsville Turnpike) in Mechanicsville, VA. We chose this place because it was the only local option we could find near our hosts' house (Applebee's and Cracker Barrel not being options for me personally... :unsure: )

Not much to recommend here, especially after eating at The Beverley yesterday. Generic standard-sized food-service seeded bun that, unforgivably, was bigger than the slice-of-processed-cheesed burger itself. Asked for the toppings on the side, but the bun came smeared with mayo anyway. A chiffonade of iceberg lettuce (I left it off) and a nice ripe tomato slice (I put it on) accompanied, along with fries of no particular note.

Onward and, hopefully, upward!

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

Smith & Wollensky's

Cafe Luxemburg

Tavern on Jane

Chumley's

Blue Smoke

Mchale's

Luger's

White Manna

Landmark Tavern

Burger Joint

PJ Clarke's

Fairway's

Old Town Bar

Corner Bistro  :raz:

Judson Grill?

Mc Sorley's

Any others?

Where else do we want?

Island Burger? 

Parker Meridian

Jackson Hole? 

Where else?  Any yeas?  Any nays?

I think PM was always on the list in the guise of Burger Joint.

Then you are much mistaken.

One of my favorite burgers is at an unlikely location -- McSorley's Old Ale House in Greenwich Village. Its an extremely simple burger, just a ground beef patty on a bun. But its like a 1/4lb, maybe close to 1/3, and its delicious. And its the ideal side dish to six to ten half-pints of ale and a cheese plate. Plus its only like four bucks or something.

Ah, McSorely's. The "official" tavern of my alma mater, Cooper Union. (the last day of fall semester was called McSorely's Day.

I can still smell the oder of beer, sawdust, and mustard when I think about it. We hardly ever ordered hamburgers there; usually went for cheese plates or ham and cheese sandwiches when we were students (1970-74). And back then two mugs were 50 cents or a buck.

A couple years later it became a weekend handout for NJ teenagers and lost some of its appeal. Weekdays at lunchtime are still good.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

In which way?

I caved on the suggestion made by bpearis after bpearis suggested that I was acting like the taste police.

If you're the taste police, I'm the taste Gestapo.

Another place that has been mentioned more than once: City Hall.

BTW, we cooked our own home made burgers this weekend on an old hibachi fired with wood up in the mountains. Put Molly's to shame, but there is nothing left to share with the club.

I would nay on MSorely's and Old Town, not because they're not good, but because they're not better than Mollys. I think I reported on Old Town a hundred or two posts back.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

Another place that has been mentioned more than once: City Hall.

BTW, we cooked our own home made burgers this weekend on an old hibachi fired with wood up in the mountains.  Put Molly's to shame, but there is nothing left to share with the club.

I would nay on MSorely's and Old Town, not because they're not good, but because they're not better than Mollys.  I think I reported on Old Town a hundred or two posts back.

--mh

So you've had the burgers at Mc Sorley's? Ok... debate.

You did report on Old Town. First Monday of every month, was it?

Who says what to Old Town? Let's keep everything on the list, so I don't have to keep reading the entire thread looking for that one place that I think I forgot. What else am I forgetting?

P.S. Mark, I am sorely disapointed that I missed your burger. Glad you enjoyed it.

Edited by elyse (log)

I looked at the site, and saw that $$ = 21 - x dollars, so is out for me.  But it's on my list to call about.  Anyone else who is willing to research is welcomed to it! :biggrin:

Don't forget, we're $20 in the black. That should bring your cost down to $19!