• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Potatoes

The only potatoes we can easily buy are white potatoes. A few vendors in the mercado sell what seem to be a variant of russets. The white potatoes make mashed potatoes gummy and gluey (but they are good for boiling), so we search out the russets. . My problem is that when I buy white potatoes I sometimes discover that the entire potato has small brown streaks just under the skin into the middle of the potato. I suppose these are edible but I find them creepy and unattractive, so I'm not willing to try to cook them. Other potatoes bought at the same time do not have this problem. So the question is--what causes this? Is it improper handling at some point in the supply chain, or do they come out of the ground like that? And how can I tell good from bad in the store?

All you gardeners out there, do you have a similar problem? I've never seen this in any other variety.

Thanks--

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

Do you have a picture of what you are referring to as white potatoes and also of the streak.

Your description sounds different from the white potatoes I buy here. They are starchy and so my preference and good for mashing, boiling and making chips in the British sense. Fries for lack of a better word.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I was told by our vegetable vendor that it is caused by too much moisture at some point in the potatoe's development. That's why people here don't like to buy the potatoes that have grown during the rainy season.

It's impossible here to get any type of Russet potato and the white potatoes that we get do not make good mashed potatoes or fries. We do get a yellow potato that is similar to the Yukon Gold and most people use those for the mashed potatoes and fries.

Like you, I've only found the brown streaks and the hollow centers in the white potatoes.

• Like 1

@Nancy in Pátzcuaro  and @Tropicalsenior

if you get any potatoes in the future w the steaks 

would you take a pic or two of the potatoes whole 

then sliced to see the issue you are mentioning ?

just out of interest .

Iv found that the issue w waxy potatoes 

( red bliss , and other white potatoes )

for mashed potatoes , is that over beating them , esp. w an eclectic hand or stand up mixer 

you get the ; glue effect '

if youve steamed the waxy potatoes  

(  more potato flavor stays in the potatoes that way , thus not making potato stock by boiling )

I not find an iPot , pressure steaming works mindlessly 

then mash them w a hand masher , butter , hot milk as usual 

and you get a decent mash .   the key is too steam them enough so that there are no hard chunks 

the hand masher does not create as much glue.  just don't over mash.

try it and see.

they will be tasty , not glue-ey 

but for sure they will not be the same as russets ,  but quite nice .

as for the ' gold ' potatoes , I dont see any benefit for them

they are just marketed for the color 

' butter like '  but no butter flavor what so ever .

but I have not tries to steam them , then had mash them and compare to red bliss .

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

hand masher does not create as much glue.  just don't over mash.

I tried every way from Sunday and still wound up with glue. I just gave up and went to packaged mashed potatoes. They do have excellent ones here.

I have mostly found the streaks and Hollow centers in the larger potatoes that I buy so most of the time I tend to buy medium or small potatoes. It may be some while before I see another black one.

• Like 2

@Tropicalsenior

maybe the ref bliss grown in not so tropical areas have less starch 

than then turns to glue w over working.

but you have tried , 

nd try posttest you get locally 

are the ones you then work with..

and its true 

some brands of infant flake potatoes re much more versatile than they use to be 

Jacque Pepin  uses them for thickening .  soups etc

and now I do myself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Part of the problem may be storage of the tubers.  For healing and longer term storage, different temperatures are important, as is air movement.  Basically, potatoes should be stored at 40-45F,95% humidity, and 10-20cfm airflow. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Laurentius said:

40-45F,

40° is a bit too cold. 45° is just about the minimum. I was working pantry in one restaurant and a bag of russets accidentally got put into the walk-in that was set at 42° as a rule. When they were cooked for hash browns they turned to mush.

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

40° is a bit too cold.

Not according to the potato farmers I know.  At least for fresh market spuds.  My county grows 95% of the red fresh market potatoes in my state.

You can go as low as 38F for fresh market and seed.  45F is only the minimum if you want sugar conversion/recondition; if you get this wrong, your fries and chips end up too dark.  I suspect your restaurant's pantry and walk-in were not controlled for humidity.

When they're fist dug, if you want them to heal, 60-65F is recommended, but the shed coming down to storage temp usually takes long enough to do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Jacque Pepin  uses them for thickening .  soups etc

and now I do myself.

Thanks.  Never thought of that one....

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

one trick I've used when I get stuck using waxy potatoes, ala whites, for mashing....

quarter/half, boil as usual

use a ricer - rice the potatoes into a bowl, then do the milk/butter/salt/whatever and hand stir them into "mashed" consistency.

minimum gluten development.

I actually like to use it even for russets - about a week ago DW asked "How is it your mashed potatoes don't have lumps?"

plus, I don't have to peel the potatoes.  "rice" the chunks, skin on, have a fork ready to pull out the skins - which will be stuck to the ricer plate . .

I've bent up / wrecked cheap ricers - CuisiPro (3?-4? size disks - use the biggest holes for potato) has been the best, and is seriously indestructible....

Edited by AlaMoi (log)
  • Like 3

Could the streaks be the result of a virus - like this?

No, because the brown streaks in my potatoes were long and thin, about thread-sized. In the center the flesh is slightly discolored but there aren't any large blobs like in your photo.

By the way, it's really hard to photograph this problem because the streaks are so thin and the center is only slightly darker than the rest of the flesh. FWIW, I'm leaning toward either poor growing conditions (too much water, as was suggested) or improper storage treatment. I do know that keeping potatoes in the fridge will change the starch/sugar balance.

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

@rotuts, you said:

"some brands of infant flake potatoes re much more versatile than they use to be

"Jacques Pepin  uses them for thickening .  soups etc

"and now I do myself."

-----

What is a good brand of instant flake potatoes to use for thickening?

• Like 1

@TdeV

I don't have a particular brand in min.

I look to seen what Market Basket has 

I heck for sodium content , then pick tased on that.

I dont use it very often , so I dont buy a large box.

if you get a larger amount via a box , be careful that you completely seal it between use.

pantry moths nd other small creatures love the stuff.

why O initially meant was that in general instant potatoes 

are better now days than in the past.

I think Ive gotten Idahoen in the past.

Idaho potatoes in the past were more flavorful than other 

as volcanic ash from Washington State had improved the soil.

Market Basket sells Idaho potatoes , generic , their own brand 

and those taste the same to me as Ore-Idas., a commercial Idaho potato.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Ore-Idas

I also like these very much but I couldn't remember the name. Even the smaller packages, I divide into portions, and yes, you do have to seal the packages in plastic bags or airproof plastic boxes. I store mine in the refrigerator because those little buggers will get into anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I too was going to suggest dehydrated potatoes - either flakes or slices. I do believe that they are the best of commercially dehydrated veg. The flakes, as mentioned are great for thickening soups but I also use them, often when camping, when I know that what I have planned for dinner (eg. sausages and grilled veg) is something that my husband would liked to have with mashed potatoes. I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes but I doctor the flakes up a bit with sour cream, sometimes a bit of cheese and I cam make just one portion for him and he's a "happy camper." Again while camping, I rehydrate the slices for passable breakfast potatoes or grill them quickly as a side. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

I too was going to suggest dehydrated potatoes - either flakes or slices. I do believe that they are the best of commercially dehydrated veg. The flakes, as mentioned are great for thickening soups but I also use them, often when camping, when I know that what I have planned for dinner (eg. sausages and grilled veg) is something that my husband would liked to have with mashed potatoes. I'm not a huge fan of mashed potatoes but I doctor the flakes up a bit with sour cream, sometimes a bit of cheese and I cam make just one portion for him and he's a "happy camper." Again while camping, I rehydrate the slices for passable breakfast potatoes or grill them quickly as a side. 

This entire thread has been most useful to me.  I've never bought a potato which wasn't in some more traditional potato format really and now can see how useful the dehydrated forms might be, particularly for mashed potatoes...which are not a favorite of mine.  I always thought that buying boxed potatoes was a cop out and now I see how wrong and judgemental I was being.  Thank you all.  

• Like 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Instant mashed potatoes (Ore-Ida or Betty Crocker) are my country go-to on first night rotis-chicken night.  Fast gravy from canned chicken broth + rotis drippings.    Warm comfort after a long car ride.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

22 minutes ago, Darienne said:

always thought that buying boxed potatoes was a cop out

When my husband was alive we always had Thanksgiving dinner for about 30 people. I wasn't about to fight with these lousy potatoes that we get trying to make mashed potatoes so I always bought a big box of Ore-Ida. A lot of people remarked that they were so glad that I was still using real potatoes instead of that phony stuff. I never said a word.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, Darienne said:

This entire thread has been most useful to me.  I've never bought a potato which wasn't in some more traditional potato format really and now can see how useful the dehydrated forms might be, particularly for mashed potatoes...which are not a favorite of mine.  I always thought that buying boxed potatoes was a cop out and now I see how wrong and judgemental I was being.  Thank you all.  

I usually keep a box on hand for odd uses. Not typically to make up a portion of mashed per the instructions, though I'll do that occasionally.

My hands are growing clumsier due to arthritis and occasionally I splash more milk into my mashed than I'd intended, and the flakes are a good way to restore the correct consistency. Instant mashed plus a cup of chicken or veg broth (or Better Than Bouillon, in a pinch) makes a quick potato soup on cold days. I scatter a light sprinkling of the flakes between the layers of my scalloped potatoes, to help thicken them, and potato flakes make an unusual but effective "breading" for fish (a nice alternative if you're serving/are a celiac sufferer).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I usually keep a box on hand for odd uses. Not typically to make up a portion of mashed per the instructions, though I'll do that occasionally.

Sorry about the hands.  I know whereof you speak.

Seeing as we are both Canadians and shopping at basically the same stores, could  you please tell me of at least one acceptable brand of boxed potato that I can have Ed buy for us.  And where in the store might Ed find such an item?  Thanks in advance.  And please.

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.