• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White chocolate issues

jauhe

I've been experimenting with white chocolate bonbons and I'm running into a couple issues:

1. Airbrushed colors look great on white chocolate, where they'd be much more muted on milk or dark. But if I airbrush a mold, then make white chocolate shells, the color winds up tinting the chocolate that I dump out while making the shells. So it's hard to re-use that chocolate, since it's light pink after using red color, for example. Any suggestions?
  2. I've been using Callebaut W2 with some fruit ganache ideas from Greweling's book, but the taste seems off. I'm not sure if it's the vanilla notes not combining well with fruit, or just the fact that it's very overwhelmingly sweet. Are there other white chocolates that would work better for this?

39 minutes ago, jauhe said:

I've been experimenting with white chocolate bonbons and I'm running into a couple issues:

1. Airbrushed colors look great on white chocolate, where they'd be much more muted on milk or dark. But if I airbrush a mold, then make white chocolate shells, the color winds up tinting the chocolate that I dump out while making the shells. So it's hard to re-use that chocolate, since it's light pink after using red color, for example. Any suggestions?
  2. I've been using Callebaut W2 with some fruit ganache ideas from Greweling's book, but the taste seems off. I'm not sure if it's the vanilla notes not combining well with fruit, or just the fact that it's very overwhelmingly sweet. Are there other white chocolates that would work better for this?

I don't know of any solution to problem #1.

You might try Cacao Barry's Zephyr white chocolate; it's less sweet.  Or if money were no object, Valrhona's Opalys, even less sweet.  But all whites are sweeter than most people would like.  The more acidic the fruit filling is, the less sweet the shell will seem--think lemon, lime, unsweetened passion fruit, kalamansi, yuzu.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jauhe said:

Airbrushed colors look great on white chocolate, where they'd be much more muted on milk or dark. But if I airbrush a mold, then make white chocolate shells, the color winds up tinting the chocolate that I dump out while making the shells. So it's hard to re-use that chocolate, since it's light pink after using red color, for example. Any suggestions?

If you're making more red ones, not a problem.  So what if it's slightly pink under a layer of red CB?

Otherwise, use up tinted white chocolate in ganaches of similar color.  Pink goes into raspberry or cranberry, yellow goes into lemon or passion fruit.

• Like 2