• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

18 hours ago, Tempest63 said:

I had no firm plans for an evening meal tonight so went rummaging through the freezer this morning and found a portion of Ragu I made a few weeks ago.

I also found the leftovers from a roasted leg of lamb. I trimmed off all the fat and finely chopped up the lamb, I added the chopped lamb to an onion, carrot, celery and garlic soffritto. Added 500ml of lamb stock and some fresh rosemary then simmered it for about 25 minutes until the fluid had reduced. It then went in the fridge overnight.
Today I split the meat between two Pyrex dishes, about 500g in each dish. I added 80g of frozen peas to each and mixed in. 
I boiled up 1kg of floury potatoes in salted water with half a teaspoon of turmeric added to the water to give a yellow colour to the chopped potatoes. Mashed them up with goats milk, butter and Parmesan. Split it equally over the two dishes and now have a couple of after work shepherds pies. One for this week and one put away for next week.

Tonights dinner will be a venison pot roast that also came out of the freezer after being cooked up about three weeks ago. It got cooked for a Sunday dinner but wasn’t eaten on the day.

Turmeric added to the boiling water for your roasted potatoes gives a nice golden colour to the finished spuds.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

My sister and her hubby were here yesterday afternoon/evening and took me out for an early supper at Osteria Bianchi a local place that is very good. It was a perfect weather day so we sat outside. The only photo I took was of my sis, her husband and wine. Everyone thinks my sister and I are the same person or twins, so it is almost like seeing me, except that I just got my haircut so hers is considerably longer than mine. Ha! I always love that since she's 9 years my junior. Anyway, I got so involved in enjoying the weather and wine that I forgot to take pix of food. We shared many things and had a couple of specials not on the menu--Little Gem Caesar salad, an eggplant pizza, a rolled lasagna noodle thing and the corn/mushroom pasta. And olive oil cake. My fridge is full of leftovers, so I'll be feasting all week. 

image.thumb.png.12cedb4427010a4b49b3ff6632ea6beb.png

• Like 7

Deb

Liberty, MO

2 hours ago, Tempest63 said:

Turmeric added to the boiling water for your roasted potatoes gives a nice golden colour to the finished spuds.

I don't think I knew this. I have a houseful of people coming next weekend. I may try this trick for some meal -- maybe prep it this week. I'm not sure whether there are any turmeric-haters in this crowd, so I'd just try a small batch. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

21 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I don't think I knew this. I have a houseful of people coming next weekend. I may try this trick for some meal -- maybe prep it this week. I'm not sure whether there are any turmeric-haters in this crowd, so I'd just try a small batch. 

Half a teaspoon to one teaspoon to a pan of potatoes adds no flavour but gives it a good colour. 
My youngest daughter once commented she could never get roasted potatoes the same colour as mine so I told her how I cheated and she uses it all the time and has passed it on to her friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1