• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas Preparations 2023

Kim Shook

7 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Buckeyes are the State Tree of Ohio....similar to horse chestnuts, if that helps.  When the outer layer is removed it looks like photo #1.

The candies look like photo #2, though I smooth over the hole with back of a spoon.

So the candies are buckeyes, from state tree of Ohio and similar to horse chestnuts, that are shelled and dipped in chocolate?

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

So the candies are buckeyes, from state tree of Ohio and similar to horse chestnuts, that are shelled and dipped in chocolate?

No, the candies are peanut butter and chocolate.  

Here's recipe given to me in 1973 at Christmas from an older woman who grew up on WVA and OH border.  

1 1/2 # powdered sugar
1/2 # butter
16 oz creamy peanut butter
12 oz bag semi sweet chocolate chips
little bit of wax
Opt: walnut in halves/quarters

Mix sugar, butter and peanut butter.  Make into balls.  Put in fridge at least 2 hours. 
Melt chocolate and wax gently.  
Use toothpick to dip balls, leaving 'buckeye' spot bare.  Or dip completely and cover toothpick hole with nut meat.  After dipping put on waxed or parchment paper. 
  • Thanks 2

I mentioned that I ordered some goose foie gras for Christmas dinner. It arrived a couple of days ago and is in the freezer.

_20231211154808.thumb.jpg.c98fa30197e89525da21a6b5a7cbb64c.jpg

Strangely, it was accompanied by these condiment and seasoning packages.

cindiments.thumb.jpg.e6aab5b25e514953e6f09fb7a7a981f7.jpg

The sea salt and pepper mix I understand (although I have plenty (and better) of both already). The black pepper sauce will go straight into the trash - it is revolting but the Chinese are convinced we foreigners use this muck on everything we eat. The blueberry jam (honey) is a total mystery. Who eats foie gras with blueberry jam (honeyed or not)? Anyone? In the centre is a tiny catering pack of butter. Why?

• Haha 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

14 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I mentioned that I ordered some goose foie gras for Christmas dinner. It arrived a couple of days ago and is in the freezer.

_20231211154808.thumb.jpg.c98fa30197e89525da21a6b5a7cbb64c.jpg

Strangely, it was accompanied by these condiment and seasoning packages.

cindiments.thumb.jpg.e6aab5b25e514953e6f09fb7a7a981f7.jpg

The sea salt and pepper mix I understand (although I have plenty (and better) of both already). The black pepper sauce will go straight into the trash - it is revolting but the Chinese are convinced we foreigners use this muck on everything we eat. The blueberry jam (honey) is a total mystery. Who eats foie gras with blueberry jam (honeyed or not)? Anyone? In the centre is a tiny catering pack of butter. Why?

Perhaps they are giving you some clues to a potential sauce.

A blueberry gastrique would work quite nicely with seared Foie.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I made the sweet potato layer of the souffle for Christmas Eve dinner to put in the freezer:

IMG_5048.JPG.ce7f0673de395387f3cf227927d14491.JPG

and cheese potatoes:

IMG_5049.jpg.c1af01deeaa83173e5fc3cee5f6c0816.jpg

You are so ahead of the game.  I'm still not sure what day Christmas is....🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I am decidedly NOT ahead of the game.  Rather, I'm behind the 8 ball 😜! I have NO presents wrapped.  I have multiple rooms that still need decorations set out.  I'm going up to my dad's on Thursday to have a little visit and drop off all the gifts for folks up there (northern VA) and I'm not even finished shopping for that yet.  I've got SO many things yet to cook ahead of time and I don't have my timeline done yet (doing a day by day and hour by hour timeline helps with my holiday anxiety).  So, yeah, I'm freaking out.  

56 minutes ago, TdeV said:

I hope we get to see the soufflé, @Kim Shook !

If I remember to take the picture, you certainly will.  It is topped with a sweet pecan topping.  Mr. Kim and Jessica are fans of sweet potatoes any way they come.  I, on the other hand, only like them if they can be mistaken for dessert 😁.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It's on Monday this year.  Exactly 2 weeks from today - yikes!

Advent seems so short this year. The 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve are the SAME DANG DAY!

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I am decidedly NOT ahead of the game.  Rather, I'm behind the 8 ball 😜! I have NO presents wrapped.  I have multiple rooms that still need decorations set out.  I'm going up to my dad's on Thursday to have a little visit and drop off all the gifts for folks up there (northern VA) and I'm not even finished shopping for that yet.  I've got SO many things yet to cook ahead of time and I don't have my timeline done yet (doing a day by day and hour by hour timeline helps with my holiday anxiety).  So, yeah, I'm freaking out.  

If I remember to take the picture, you certainly will.  It is topped with a sweet pecan topping.  Mr. Kim and Jessica are fans of sweet potatoes any way they come.  I, on the other hand, only like them if they can be mistaken for dessert 😁.

Don't panic!  It will get done and what doesn't is OK.  I've done away with so much Christmas stress....money for Ronnie's kids and grandkids.  Ronnie and I don't give each other  gifts...my mom and step dad and us don't and for the first time ever we're not exchanging with my sil and bil.  So much easier.  Maybe I'll get that magic feeling of Christmas back....

I still have no idea what Christmas plans are.  Good thing I'm a fly by the seat of my pants kinda gal with some things lol.

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

It's on Monday this year.  Exactly 2 weeks from today - yikes!

Advent seems so short this year. The 4th Sunday of Advent and Christmas Eve are the SAME DANG DAY!

Ok.  Maybe I am stressed a bit now....feels like there should be one more week in there.

🤣

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TicTac said:

Perhaps they are giving you some clues to a potential sauce.

A blueberry gastrique would work quite nicely with seared Foie.

It may well work, but my French mother would turn in her grave at such an insult to her heritage! I will be having it with pain de la campagne and a fig jam as nature intended and as we have always eaten it at Christmas. I very much doubt she ate a single blueberry in her long life! 😉

Edited by liuzhou (log)

I’ve misplaced my Christmas decorations, must have been during the house reconstruction after the tree fell thru it. I’ve searched one attic and have to look in another but it’s only me so I’m not concerned if I decorate or not. I’m not having anyone for dinner, will probably go out with friends and I love the lack of stress.  I was going to make my ex-husband’s family eggnog but probably not.  It’s full of booze and the recipe makes 12 bottles and I don’t have the room in the fridge.  The kids get money and the grandkids got a group gift they wanted.  Do have lights up outside and bought two poinsettias and a wreath.  Not being Grinchy but I’m totally relaxed about Xmas this year.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It may well work, but my French mother would turn in her grave at such an insult to her heritage! I will be having it with pain de la campagne and a fig jam as nature intended and as we have always eaten it at Christmas. I very much doubt she ate a single blueberry in her long life! 😉

Can't blame her for not having blueberries locally.  Nothing wrong with a fig gastrique....  I would say better than just jam as the vinegar component will help to balance the richness of the Foie.  But I would not want you to insult your mother's cookery! ;)

Cheeses ✔

Crackers of Choice ✔

Mince Pies (traditional) ✔

Mince Pies (whisky) ✔

Foie Gras ✔

Fig Jam ✔

Caviar ✔
Smoked Sturgeon ✔

Champagne ✔

Irish Whisky ✔

Cream ✔

Sucking Pig ✖ (will order on the day)

figjam.thumb.jpg.ad4c62495f84958f82f9c0ce26eca1e0.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Cheeses ✔

Crackers of Choice ✔

Mince Pies (whisky) ✔

Foie Gras ✔

Fig Jam ✔

Caviar ✔
Smoked Sturgeon ✔

Champagne ✔

Irish Whisky ✔

Cream ✔

Perhaps I will tell the family that is expecting turkey et al, that I have to make an emergency trip to China!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Cheeses ✔

Crackers of Choice ✔

Mince Pies (whisky) ✔

Foie Gras ✔

Fig Jam ✔

Caviar ✔
Smoked Sturgeon ✔

Champagne ✔

Irish Whisky ✔

Cream ✔

How many guests are you planning on having? Do you have room for two more?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

How many guests are you planning on having? Do you have room for two more?

That lot is just for me. No one else here celebrates Christmas. Actually I don't really either. It's just another day here.

But I guess I could squeeze in a couple of guests!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I am still experiencing some type of bug that is making me feel 30 years older than I am and going through a box of Kleenex a day. I'm operating on the "work an hour, rest an hour" principle. Most of the decorating is done and today I made rum balls. Got our new stove yesterday and have not had the energy to check it out thoroughly. I do know that it boils water, having gone through almost as much tea and Neo Citron as kleenex the last few days.

IMG_9896.jpg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2
  • Sad 4

13 hours ago, liuzhou said:

That lot is just for me. No one else here celebrates Christmas. Actually I don't really either. It's just another day here.

But I guess I could squeeze in a couple of guests!

I am having the most --or top ten of the most--stressful holiday times ever.  I want to just escape.  No one would suspect if I come to your house...I'm fine just sleeping on the floor. 

but I need wine...lots and lots of it.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2