• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portable induction burners

jedovaty

Hi:

Are there any portable induction burners that make very little noise?  I borrowed a family member's Rosewill 1800 watt and aside from the UI being a total mess, it made so much fan noise I cut short the testing and gave it back to him with prejudice.   I've read reviews on several and the noise isn't really mentioned.  The goal here is to play around with one and see if I like induction burners before committing to a full cooktop in the kitchen.  🤫

The one I have (Paragon) makes enough noise that I appreciate the quiet when I turn it off but it's not bad enough that it puts me off using it.  Unfortunately it isn't readily available anymore so no help to you. 

You might check around and see what sort of loaner programs are available in your area.  My local library has a program to lend them out, along with a compatible pan and a magnet. 

Several of the utilities in my area (Southern California Edison, PG&E) also have loaner programs.

• Like 4

Interesting, okay, I'll check the library, that's a great idea!  Will check SDGE to see if they have any programs, I'd be really surprised given it's such a horrid utility company.

I just read the NYT wirecutter review and they say all the portable ones have loud fans :(  I may just have to put up with it.

• Like 1

I have two lower-end units - a Salton and a Kuraidori - and the fan runs pretty constantly on both, once they've been on for a couple of minutes (and for a while after they're shut off, if they're really hot). Unless you're in a position to try a few head-to-head and see which one is subjectively quieter for you personally (because we all have frequencies we hear better than others*) then it's basically 6:5 and pick 'em. As you say, you might have to just put up with it.

(*In my case my hearing has been in rapid decline for the past couple of years, but I find the HVAC in a large store deafening even when people with better hearing barely notice it at all. Go figure.)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My Ikea one turns on the fan after a while, but I don't find it too loud. It was a good price here. It seems to do less cycling of the power than my previous one did. My main complaint is that it has a safety interlock when you first plug it in and I have to hit random buttons for random amounts of time until it releases. Maybe someday I'll figure out the magic combination. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1. Sometimes the cookware can be making noise.

2. Sometimes the large magnetic induction coil can be making noise.

3. In general, induction cooktops use a brushless motor driven fan, which is noiseless. The noise mostly is from air turbulence caused by not having enough circulation space. By lifting the cooktop about 1/2" sometimes helps a lot.

dcarch

• Like 1

I use a portable induction cooker regularly. As do all my friends and neighbours. Over the years, I've had three. Never had anything I'd describe as noisy.

This is my current one.

3e80c9bb4775e4ac.thumb.png.c435e29873a72cad41f13fcde5f23985.png

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

On 10/30/2023 at 6:55 AM, liuzhou said:

I use a portable induction cooker regularly. As do all my friends and neighbours. Over the years, I've had three. Never had anything I'd describe as noisy.

This is my current one.

3e80c9bb4775e4ac.thumb.png.c435e29873a72cad41f13fcde5f23985.png

Online micro credentials provide a convenient pathway for learners to gain specialized skills and knowledge, enhancing their career prospects. These digital badges or nano-degrees cater to a diverse audience, allowing professionals to upskill and adapt to industry demands on their own terms.

Hi, I have been looking at a portable induction cooktop. I could use it inside or outside, and I want a 1 or 2-burner 110v model. I've looked all over stores and Internet, no shortage of them. The reviews on many are just ghastly. I was just looking to see if someone on here uses one and how they like it. We are full-time and cook most of our meals. Thanks

25 minutes ago, bokeg said:

was just looking to see if someone on here uses one and how they like it. We are full-time and cook most of our meals.

My advice is to avoid the rock bottom units.  Get something with a strong case, good fan and many power levels.  Commercial or quasi-Commercial.  I have and recommend the Vollrath Mirage Pro.  It has 100 power settings and an adjustment knob. 

6 hours ago, bokeg said:

Hi, I have been looking at a portable induction cooktop. I could use it inside or outside, and I want a 1 or 2-burner 110v model. I've looked all over stores and Internet, no shortage of them. The reviews on many are just ghastly. I was just looking to see if someone on here uses one and how they like it. We are full-time and cook most of our meals. Thanks

Sorry, but as noted under my name, I am in China. The power here is 240V as in most of Asia and Europe. Also, any specific models I could recommend would probably not be available to you.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, bokeg said:

The realistic answer is "it depends on how you cook, and what your expectations are."

Laurentius' advice is perfectly sound, as far as it goes, but you may not feel a need to invest in something that burly (here in Canada it would cost well north of $1000, which is just right out of the question for me personally; as you can guess I'm not the target market for the Control Freak either). My two are a low-end Salton, the dirt-cheap kind that are sold at Walmart, and a slightly higher-function unit sold under the Kuraidori brand name and many others.

Do they offer the same power? No. Precision? Also no. Range of potential power settings? Fugeddaboudit. But...for my cooking they're fine, and I can buy 20 or so of them for the cost of a high-end unit. So really the starting point is defining what your needs are, and then working backward from there to negotiate between your needs/wants and the price those things command. There are a lot of features that are nice to have, but not if the price premium blows your budget.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

6 hours ago, bokeg said:

I have a Paragon and it's not available any longer so I'm no help with specific brand recommendations.   

In an earlier topic on induction ranges, you might check out some of the posts, like this one by @btbyrd and others to give you an idea of things to look for. 

For example, I agree that having more than 10 levels is a big positive, especially if you want to maintain a nice simmer and I also agree that an actual physical knob would be preferable to a touchpad, unfortunately, neither feature is often seen in portable units, especially modestly prices ones. 

The $106 Duxtop burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's the Wirecutter top pick has pretty decent reviews and could be one to consider.  You might also note in their review that they don't highly recommend 2-burner models because the wattage gets split between the 2 burners so you can get both at 50% power or 80%/20% but can't ever run both at 100% power. 

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

You might also note in their review that they don't highly recommend 2-burner models because the wattage gets split between the 2 burners so you can get both at 50% power or 80%/20% but can't ever run both at 100% power. 

But keep in mind that if you have two 1800W 120V burners, you won't be able to run them at 100% on the same circuit or you'll trip the breaker.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I have a Paragon and it's not available any longer so I'm no help with specific brand recommendations.   

In an earlier topic on induction ranges, you might check out some of the posts, like this one by @btbyrd and others to give you an idea of things to look for. 

For example, I agree that having more than 10 levels is a big positive, especially if you want to maintain a nice simmer and I also agree that an actual physical knob would be preferable to a touchpad, unfortunately, neither feature is often seen in portable units, especially modestly prices ones. 

The $106 Duxtop burner (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) that's the Wirecutter top pick has pretty decent reviews and could be one to consider.  You might also note in their review that they don't highly recommend 2-burner models because the wattage gets split between the 2 burners so you can get both at 50% power or 80%/20% but can't ever run both at 100% power. 

I have the cheaper version of that Duxtop (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

I use it almost exclusively for Hot Pot.  To keep water at near boil in a 12" Le Creuset braiser it must be on one of the top three levels, but it has only one little coil in the middle so it's use is better for smaller pans.  I think that is the knock on all of the cheap ones though is that the element isn't very large.

Edited by Deephaven (log)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Bought a couple of those for a friend - they really are top drawer!

7 hours ago, palo said:

Being one of the friends, I would have to agree 😀

p

Actually it’s the Duxtop this friend got - but I love my paragons!

• Like 1