• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Independence Day/4th of July Holiday (U.S.)

BeeZee

Many businesses are throwing in the towel with the actual holiday falling on a Tuesday, and choosing to close on Monday, giving many people a long weekend. Any summertime cooking/entertaining plans?

After our month of lovely weather, of course we're now dealing with uncertain weather and possible thunderstorms, so planning is difficult.

My husband and I are having some friends over on Sunday evening, and I've planned for things that don't rely on use of the grill outdoors if the weather doesn't cooperate. Tuna steaks + chimichurri sauce, corn/tomato/avocado salad, simple pilaf or cous cous. Guests are bringing desserts. Chilling some Gruner Veltliner and Rose.

• Like 7

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

The had a slab of big, meaty spareribs swimming in the sous vide since yesterday morning. I’m about to take them out, throw them in the smoker, and betake myself to the farmers market for fresh veggies to go with. Planning a strawberry icebox pie. Kids coming over for dinner.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

24 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Local bakery Café Ficelle posted these cute burger macarons on their social media and say they’re available through July 4. 

IMG_2230.thumb.jpeg.e522470257e0d06acfdad3aa3b444224.jpeg
Not burger flavor, just chocolate.  I'll see if I can get one to try tomorrow.

Those are adorable! Hopefully the cheese, lettuce and tomato are not fondant, maybe white chocolate?

• Like 1

Independence Day lunch:  SV pork tenderloin, cured overnight with a very slight sugar/Tenderquick mix; rinsed; SV'd (140F) with liquid smoke and smoked paprika.   Really tender, nice subtle ham flavor.

Parmesan/tomato/olive/caper salad

Jiffy corn muffins.

Avery Trippel and 1554 beers.

Strawberry white chocolate bark (Amazon brand).

Now nap.

Then more Celebrations later.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 2

2 hours ago, lemniscate said:

Independence Day lunch:  SV pork tenderloin, cured overnight with a very slight sugar/Tenderquick mix; rinsed; SV'd (140F) with liquid smoke and smoked paprika.   Really tender, nice subtle ham flavor.

Parmesan/tomato/olive/caper salad

Jiffy corn muffins.

Avery Trippel and 1554 beers.

Strawberry white chocolate bark (Amazon brand).

Now nap.

Then more Celebrations later.

I'll have to try pork tenderloin done that way.

We went to a group bbq/fireworks party by a school near my in-laws. Two families brought their RVs (which was good, because some folks' asthma was acting up due to wildfire smoke/fireworks smoke/humidity). There were hot dogs, hamburgers, pulled pork, mac & cheese, pasta salad, a potato salad that was lemon/mint/etc (my SIL makes it and it's lovely), fruit, pie, etc. Since the school lot was packed with people set up to watch the fireworks, there were multiple ice cream trucks competing. My son had a huge oreo milkshake and I got a chocolate ice cream sandwich. :)

• Like 3

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

7 minutes ago, Allura said:

We went to a group bbq/fireworks party by a school near my in-laws. Two families brought their RVs (which was good, because some folks' asthma was acting up due to wildfire smoke/fireworks smoke/humidity). There were hot dogs, hamburgers, pulled pork, mac & cheese, pasta salad, a potato salad that was lemon/mint/etc (my SIL makes it and it's lovely), fruit, pie, etc. Since the school lot was packed with people set up to watch the fireworks, there were multiple ice cream trucks competing. My son had a huge oreo milkshake and I got a chocolate ice cream sandwich. :)

Sounds like a great day.  I am fixated on that potato salad.  Does it use oil or mayo?

I made a good potato salad last weekend. Small new redskin potatoes (the largest ones needed to be quartered, most just halved, some tiny ones whole). Drained and added a mustard viniagrette made with white wine vinegar, grainy mustard, olive oil, herbs, while they were still hot. Added some cooked, crisp bacon before serving.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com