• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: eGullet Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2023

Kerry Beal

4 minutes ago, curls said:

So, if we take care of our own breakfasts, are the costs covered or do we need to cut some other items as well? Definitely don't want you to be stuck funding the event!

I'm fine with omitting breakfast but it was nice to plan the day's events over breakfast. I would also be ok with paying a bit more if that will allow us to have breakfast at Tomric.

Haven't got my stuff with me here at home - but we are down more than $1300 US compared to budget. Now with less people - our budget for breakfast and lunch will be less for sure - we were originally thinking catered sandwich type stuff for lunch - but can swap over to DIY. It's really hard to predict when I try to compare the costs for previous workshops and now with the increase in the cost of everything I'm hard pressed to get a handle on it. 

17 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Haven't got my stuff with me here at home - but we are down more than $1300 US compared to budget. Now with less people - our budget for breakfast and lunch will be less for sure - we were originally thinking catered sandwich type stuff for lunch - but can swap over to DIY. It's really hard to predict when I try to compare the costs for previous workshops and now with the increase in the cost of everything I'm hard pressed to get a handle on it. 

With 19 attendees, that is about another $70 per person.  Yes, given the way that costs have gone up, I'm not surprised that the costs for this workshop will be higher. Hopefully others will reply. Perhaps cutting back on the included meals and some additional funds from  each participant will put this back on track. Please let me know if I can help.

• Like 1

I think the hotel provides breakfast, so that would be a natural place to cut. On the other hand, I was hoping for a few pastries from Rodney:).  

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

37 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Rodney has volunteered (make that was voluntold) he would be doing breakfasts! So that problem solved. 

This is the best possible news!

Patty

Time flies - we are two weeks out from the workshop! I'm shifting into serious planning mode for the Friday evening show and tell - I'm not going to jinx us by saying anything about the weather, but the plan is drinks (red/white/rose and seltzers, both hard and ...soft?) and enough goodies to make a meal and then some (think pizzas, charcuterie, veggie  and cheese trays, and assorted other treats and nibbles), all enjoyed al fresco on my patio. To help me plan quantities, please let me know if you won't be joining us so I don't overdo it, either culinarily or budgetarily.

I will just offer a recommendation that you plan to bring a sweater or jacket - a 65-degree evening in Buffalo is practically swimming weather for us natives, but those of you from warmer climes might want to make sure you've got what you need for your own personal climate control.

• Like 1

Patty

6 minutes ago, curls said:

@patris that all sounds wonderful.  I'm definitely planning to be there. What time are you planning to start the Friday show & tell?

Assuming the day at Tomric wraps up between 5:00 and 5:30, I'm thinking something like 5:30 or 6 pm until 8 or 8:30 - probably start no later than 6, though. Tomric is about halfway between the hotel and my house, so it's a 10-15 minute drive.

I should also recommend carpooling if possible. There's plenty of street parking, but it's a pretty small neighborhood.

• Thanks 1

Patty

If I were to bring cocoa butter - is anyone interested in purchasing for $20 US a kg? It will be the little beads. Let me know quantities you are interested in and I will have it weighed out and ready for it's new home.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

If I were to bring cocoa butter - is anyone interested in purchasing for $20 US a kg? It will be the little beads. Let me know quantities you are interested in and I will have it weighed out and ready for it's new home.

I'm interested. What is the expiration date?

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I don’t know I haven’t got it yet

Ok. Will check my inventory and PM you my cocoa butter quantity.

Thanks, great timing, I was starting to run low on cocoa butter and that is a great price.

I may have an issue - put in the order today with the pricing he gave me for a 10 kg box a couple of weeks ago - now he's telling me he only has 4 kg bags at a much higher price. I'll see what comes of it.

12 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Bhavani is not going to be able to join us this time - but wonders if anyone wants to play with a melanger for the weekend?

There you go, tempting me again! I resisted the siren call of the melanger last time. Yes, I was hoping that there would be at least one there to play with. Are you planning to include hazelnuts and/or almonds in the workshop ingredients? If not, I’ll be sure to bring  some.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, curls said:

There you go, tempting me again! I resisted the siren call of the melanger last time. Yes, I was hoping that there would be at least one there to play with. Are you planning to include hazelnuts and/or almonds in the workshop ingredients? If not, I’ll be sure to bring  some.

I went out and bought some peeled hazelnuts today - I also have some ground ones I can bring along. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I may have an issue - put in the order today with the pricing he gave me for a 10 kg box a couple of weeks ago - now he's telling me he only has 4 kg bags at a much higher price. I'll see what comes of it.

I’d be interested in some. Don’t need a lot, but I’d be in for up to a kilo, assuming it’s not going out of date soon.

We have a bunch of our participants who will be teaching us how to make our own ccb, pipable fillings, decorating molds, sponge toffee, nougat and other fun stuff.  The day will be full.

• Like 2

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Remember to bring some of your product for Show and Tell on Friday night. If you don't have anything ready, don't worry about it.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

1 minute ago, Chocolot said:

We have a bunch of our participants who will be teaching us how to make our own ccb, pipable fillings, decorating molds, sponge toffee, nougat and other fun stuff.  The day will be full.

Awesome, sounds fun. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2023 at 10:15 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Bhavani is not going to be able to join us this time - but wonders if anyone wants to play with a melanger for the weekend?

Actually Bhavani and likely his engineer are going to be coming on Thursday and driving back to NJ on Friday. Unfortunately they don't have one of their new winnowers to show us - but I've seen the prototype when we were in Italy in 2020 and it's works so much better than other winnowers. But they do have lots of melangers they can bring along with the new stones that have the metal bushings.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Actually Bhavani and likely his engineer are going to be coming on Thursday and driving back to NJ on Friday. Unfortunately they don't have one of their new winnowers to show us - but I've seen the prototype when we were in Italy in 2020 and it's works so much better than other winnowers. But they do have lots of melangers they can bring along with the new stones that have the metal bushings.

I'm really enjoying the new stainless steel model that Kerry described.  It cleans off the sides of the bowl to an impressive degree.  I have not had one particle splash out of the bowl during use, and the melanger managed to grind up even the sticky hard caramel I was mixing with ground almonds (the stickiness was my fault--since then the very helpful @Alleguede has explained how to make hard-crack caramel the right way).  In addition, customer service is great; the tech guy even called a few days later to see how things were going.  Those who already own the previous model should bring their willpower to the workshop as I suspect it will be hard to resist this new version.

Edited by Jim D. (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1