• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Update: The consensus is that it is millet. Certainly looks like it.

Is it common to mix other grains with rice?  I don't know if I've seen that before, other than in parts of Indonesia where they will have a few different types of rice, layered in a cone - but they're not intermixed with each other.

9 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Is it common to mix other grains with rice?  I don't know if I've seen that before, other than in parts of Indonesia where they will have a few different types of rice, layered in a cone - but they're not intermixed with each other.

What is common is something called 二米饭 (èr mǐ fàn) which means 'two rices'. This refers to 米饭 (mǐ fàn) - rice and 碎玉米 (suì yù mǐ)  - crushed corn mixed together. That's what I thought they had sent me but on closer investigation it seemed they had run out of corn and substituted 小米 (xiǎo mǐ) - millet. Most unusual except in congee where mixed grains are very common.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Husband's 66th birthday was yesterday. We are leaving for Mexico in a couple of days and just returned from a week of camping so opted to just go to a favourite local spot. It's been around for years and the food is consistently good. I had the fire grilled Caesar with blackened Ahi tuna. Perfect, as usual. My husband had the beer battered cod fish and chips which he has almost every time we go there.

Tuna_9153.jpg

FC_9152.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 1

I have three favourite seasons and they are Garlic Season, Tomato Season and Corn Season.
There are a few local farm stands in the Cowichan Valley and in the Victoria area.
The Flatlander's Farm with farm stand is five minutes from our place.
FarmStandGarlicJuly19th20233.thumb.jpg.810ca835cca46ed63ff100e014de9c1d.jpg
I stopped by the Farm to buy garlic today. 
Russian Red garlic that is the most perfect garlic I have  ever seen. 
FarmStandGarlicJuly19th2023.thumb.jpg.46432052ca5693942f0b21f3cdb43859.jpg
Also bought fresh picked green beans, a zucchini and fresh eggs.
I have a rack of lamb that I'm going to grill tonight and I'm thinking the green beans will be one of the sides. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:
I stopped by the Farm to buy garlic today. 
Russian Red garlic that is the most perfect garlic I have  ever seen. 

Beautiful (hardneck) garlic...how long does it last for you, and how do you cure it to make sure it lasts?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

7 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Beautiful (hardneck) garlic...how long does it last for you, and how do you cure it to make sure it lasts?

I don't know about this garlic, specifically, but mine lasts a LOT longer than normal when I keep it in the wine fridge.  It's got the temp and humidity just like an old school root cellar.

13 minutes ago, weinoo said:

It has already been cured.  We will probably use up this batch of garlic in 4 to 6 weeks. So I will just keep it in a basket lightly covered. 

I'll buy more between now and September , enough I hope to get through to late January/February.    A friend, who is a chef,

said that she actually freezes heads of garlic.  That the cloves separate and peel easily right out of the freezer so I might try freezing a few to

see how that works.    

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I bought a braid of Giant Russian Red a couple of years ago and used it all winter, finally using the last in March or April. Loved the stuff. It kept well.

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I don't know about this garlic, specifically, but mine lasts a LOT longer than normal when I keep it in the wine fridge.  It's got the temp and humidity just like an old school root cellar.

Makes sense - but where do I then put the wine?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Keema_spinach_202307.thumb.jpg.dd34a0a4f94c6d623b602dd331d33446.jpg

Spinach and coconut milk keema , served with cumin and turmeric rice. I used a smaller amount of coconut cream rather than coconut milk, and a larger amount of chilies (jalapeno and Scotch bonnet). The keema turned out more flavorful and not as soupy, which I prefer. I do love keema

IMG_6468.thumb.jpg.35b8aa42f8dc9ffc0178f07b017520b4.jpg

Aromatics, spices, and herbs. Not pictured: ground turkey, frozen spinach, and a lemon.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

@MaryIsobel Happy Birthday to your husband.  

RackofLambJuly19th2023.thumb.jpg.21e4df20aa052a459c79a2b64a3d3897.jpg

I grilled a rack of lamb for dinner tonight.

Used the melon baller to cut out potatoes to make Parisienne potatoes and we had rutabaga and steamed green beans as sides.
I also made Moe his favourite mint sauce with mint from our garden.
It is a simple fresh mint sauce with mint, red wine vinegar, a little honey, salt, pepper and a little garlic.

RackofLambJuly19th20231.thumb.jpg.ccd9e3e6d707985e50c4b474c4631c2d.jpg

This tastes better than in looks with the mint sauce. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 7

Last night I made a recipe from the current Cook's Country magazine: Spicy Chile-Honey Glazed Eggplant with Burrata and Greens.  My nephew hates eggplant so he grilled a pork tenderloin to eat with the salad (minus the eggplant).  He shared the pork with his sister and my husband got a little bit too.  My niece usually likes eggplant but disliked this recipe because she said it was too spicy.  My husband, sister, and I thought it was a tasty meal.  It's hard to please everyone in this house!

spicyeggplant.thumb.jpg.003ed4130f29ca3d298de6d87527f504.jpg 

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

全家福海鲜铁板炒饭 (quán jiā fú hǎi xiān tiě bǎn chǎo fàn), Family portrait seafood iron plate* fried rice (with extra shrimp).

Contained the augmented shrimp plus scallops and squid. No egg. No c⊘rn.

* Iron plate cooking is the origin of both the Japanese word teppanyaki and the technique.

rice.thumb.jpg.06906be394934b839eae8d7c9fab9d42.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You must have the patience of a saint. I'm afraid I would find myself standing in the middle of the floor screaming, "if I cook it you will eat".

Exactly. An alternative reaction, and probably better for everyone's health would be to turn very chilly and suggest said ingrate make themself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. On the bright side, more leftovers for me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

Exactly. An alternative reaction, and probably better for everyone's health would be to turn very chilly and suggest said ingrate make themself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. On the bright side, more leftovers for me.

I misspoke. On second thought I think it's better to pour on the sympathy and say "Oh, I'm so sorry you don't like Coq au Vin. Can I make you a PB&J? We have some really good peanut butter!" After all I don't want my guests to think I'm not able to pivot.

• Haha 3

Bit of a rough week at work, so food needs to be simple and satisfying:

Linguine (No. 7 from De Cecco) and Italian pork meatballs simmered in a onion/butter/tomato sauce. Basil, Parmigiano, black pepper.

IMG_0168.thumb.jpeg.b87bc2059694754fddb19101d0261451.jpeg

Plus 1 (ok, maybe 2) Duvel 🤭

IMG_0167.thumb.jpeg.7f3e79e3b87aaf9882a68de0cb54c1fc.jpeg

TGIF tomorrow !

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

3 hours ago, Katie Meadow said:

@liamsaunt honestly answered the question recently here  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/164739-dinner-2023/?do=findComment&comment=2394042

11 minutes ago, heidih said:

honestly answered the question recently

I did indeed read that and I'm just saying that she has much more patience than I would have. And the amazing thing is that each plate is a feast for the eyes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I did indeed read that and I'm just saying that she has much more patience than I would have. And the amazing thing is that each plate is a feast for the eyes.

I feel that somehow as a cook - and we all are, that’s why we are here - you have the urge to please your audience. Sometimes more, sometimes less. But at the end you always go to great lengths to make your eaters happy: with multiple dishes, multiple courses, that one special dish, that difficult to get ingredient…

• Like 7