• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

OK, I finally have to ask: as someone who has not been to Costco, what is the deal with their rotisserie chicken ? I always thought it’s the “1€ IKEA hot dog”: something that is “ok-ish”, but not really good, yet - due to it’s rock-bottom price - somewhat unavoidable when you shop there. But many people reference it. Is it something you are actually looking forward to, because [insert reason here] ? This is really curiosity, no judgement involved …

Here in my neck of the woods, the not-on-sale price for a whole, uncooked chicken at the supermarket is typically $12-$14 (CDN). On sale, it drops down to maybe $7 or $8. Cost of a rotisserie chicken at the same supermarket would be comparable. The rotisserie bird at Costco sells for $7.99 up here, rather than $4.99 (as in the US), but it's a similar bargain in local terms. To my taste it's over-salted, but cooked properly (so it's tender and juicy) while the supermarket rotisserie birds are almost invariably dry.

So when I buy one it's a combination of the low price, the convenience and the fact that it's properly cooked. The over-seasoning isn't as obvious after the bird cools, and it's relatively straightforward to correct for in any case. It's not something I buy a lot, but I appreciate it for what it is. Now that we're in the country, and getting home from a shopping trip takes most of an hour, it's nice to bring home something that makes for a quick meal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

蚂蚁上树 (mǎ yǐ shǎng shù) / 小蛮椒 (xiǎo mán jiāo),  Ants Climbing Trees* / Small Barbarian Peppers.

mayishanshu.thumb.jpg.c7a5992c3d6391188591766b2747bf2d.jpg

干椒酸笋红薯苗 (gān jiāo suān sǔn hóng shǔ miáo) Dried Chilli, Pickled Bamboo, Sweet Potato Shoots.

sweetpotatoshoots.thumb.jpg.11cad5e9baec76c3027d91856e084a54.jpg

*“Ants Climbing Trees” is a classic Sichuan dish comprising mung bean starch noodles (glass noodles) with minced pork. The grains of pork are the ants which appear to be climbing the branches of the tree (the noodles). Some sort of green vegetable is incorporated to be the tree’s leaves; here this rôle is taken by green chillies. In case that isn’t hot enough this one was supplemented by Small Barbarian Peppers. These are fiery red chilli peppers, so called as they, like all chilli peppers, were introduced from the central Americas where be barbarians! Sweet potatoes are on the barbarous side, too.

two.thumb.jpg.4f7f754386ea32eeaa3d84e773c65c42.jpg

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

It was hot like this next to the window in our kitchen (which is right next to where I tend to work)...

IMG_9613.thumb.jpeg.ad66509c903feadc0f13a5d812110a87.jpeg

But I'd done all the hot cooking early in the day.

IMG_9616.thumb.jpeg.317c4296d72384400109cf695d44b83c.jpeg

To make a salade composée. Composéed of macaroni salad, boiled new potatoes, avocado, tomatoes, carrot, celery, radish, little gems, house-made tzatziki, and poached wild Gulf shrimp. 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

9 hours ago, chromedome said:

Here in my neck of the woods, the not-on-sale price for a whole, uncooked chicken at the supermarket is typically $12-$14 (CDN). On sale, it drops down to maybe $7 or $8. Cost of a rotisserie chicken at the same supermarket would be comparable. The rotisserie bird at Costco sells for $7.99 up here, rather than $4.99 (as in the US), but it's a similar bargain in local terms. To my taste it's over-salted, but cooked properly (so it's tender and juicy) while the supermarket rotisserie birds are almost invariably dry.

So when I buy one it's a combination of the low price, the convenience and the fact that it's properly cooked. The over-seasoning isn't as obvious after the bird cools, and it's relatively straightforward to correct for in any case. It's not something I buy a lot, but I appreciate it for what it is. Now that we're in the country, and getting home from a shopping trip takes most of an hour, it's nice to bring home something that makes for a quick meal.

That is my logic. I spend at least an hour and a couple of hundred dollars at Costco, so bringing home the already cooked chickie is a habit that I've adopted.

2 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

That is my logic. I spend at least an hour and a couple of hundred dollars at Costco, so bringing home the already cooked chickie is a habit that I've adopted.

LOL I usually get from the front door to the checkout in 5-10 minutes, unless the aisles are too blocked to move at my normal pace. I try to avoid being at Costco during those times of day. :)

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

31 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Shrimp_chayote_202307-1.thumb.jpg.ef9c4690f06bc814b17988f0bc40466d.jpg

Chipotle shrimp with tomatoes, chicken broth, garlic, black pepper, cinnamon, Mexican oregano, and cilantro.

Shrimp_chayote_202307-2.thumb.jpg.773c45f965bbfbfbe7bc1ce64f3f04c3.jpg

Chayote with white onion, chile Poblano rajas, jalapeno, and cilantro.

Did you enjoy the shrimp dish as a soup? Anything to mop up liquid? And are we talkin chipotles en adobo in the little caan. What a great ingredient. 

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Did you enjoy the shrimp dish as a soup? Anything to mop up liquid? And are we talkin chipotles en adobo in the little caan. What a great ingredient. 

Yes, the soupy shrimp turned out very nicely. Lots of flavor, not too spicy. Family approved.

Yes, rice to mop up the liquid. Whoops, I forgot so thanks for the reminder.

And yes, canned chipotle in adobo. I had an open can that needed using up.

Congrats, you are three for three. 😃

• Haha 1

@C. sapidus I always keep those chipotles portioned out in the freezer, Great to slip inna dish. Either flattened in a zip bag - break off chunk, or in kittle squares of foil. Always a zippy add for beans.

• Thanks 1

Thrifty's had my favourite roast on special this week. I love this Sterling Silver Top Sirloin roast.
Had the butcher cut me a roast just over 3lbs and I cut it in half and froze one half and the other half I presalted yesterday morning and this morning I rubbed it with garlic and lots of black pepper and will leave it in the fridge to air dry before roasting on high heat tonight.
The roast will only take about 25 minutes in the oven for rare and we will have sides of mashed potatoes, peas and Yorkshire puddings. Yorkshires will bake while the roast rest. We will be eating in no more than an hour after I get home from work.
SterlingSilverRoastJuly8th2023.thumb.jpg.6eb5a8aa09ab08de6eeed2c84499acca.jpg
Ready for the oven.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 6

35 oC and humid - very little drive to cook or eat. Well, after the aperitif the was a little drive to eat …

Cupboard dinner: Giant beans in tomato sauce, fresh sheep & goat feta, pickled octopus (much to little ones delight), shrimps in lemon/rosemary oil, fuet, two types of olives and some improvised hummus with dried tomatoes. Plus some quickly made meatballs (from leftover Mett from breakfast) and some salmon cubes that have undergone the sarde in saor treatment …

IMG_0059.thumb.jpeg.028a8c82ad3a69877290fb84ad6f428d.jpeg

Served with some toasted bread, tomato and olive oil plus some salted crisps. No complaints !

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

3 minutes ago, Duvel said:

35 oC and humid - very little drive to cook or eat. Well, after the aperitif the was a little drive to eat …

Cupboard dinner: Giant beans in tomato sauce, fresh sheep & goat feta, pickled octopus (much to little ones delight), shrimps in lemon/rosemary oil, fuet, two types of olives and some improvised hummus with dried tomatoes. Plus some quickly made meatballs (from leftover Mett from breakfast) and some salmon cubes that have undergone the sarde in saor treatment …

IMG_0059.thumb.jpeg.028a8c82ad3a69877290fb84ad6f428d.jpeg

Served with some toasted bread, tomato and olive oil plus some salted crisps. No complaints !

Big fan of gigante beans here. The octopus - did you prep and pickle and if so how? Asian markets here always have those little guys. My sis does them on the BBQ qith a brush of honey & soy. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

Big fan of gigante beans here. The octopus - did you prep and pickle and if so how? Asian markets here always have those little guys. My sis does them on the BBQ qith a brush of honey & soy. 

No, it actually comes straight from a can, Spanish brand 🤗

• Like 1

Lazy meal of tuna casserole with leftover spaghetti and warrigal greens. The warrigal greens are like spinach (also called New Zealand spinach) but really need to be blanched. I have a large patch of volunteers growing in what should be lawn.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7c535705327f12698e73688640c3910.jpeg

• Like 7

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

5 minutes ago, haresfur said:

Lazy meal of tuna casserole with leftover spaghetti and warrigal greens. The warrigal greens are like spinach (also called New Zealand spinach) but really need to be blanched. I have a large patch of volunteers growing in what should be lawn.

image.thumb.jpeg.f7c535705327f12698e73688640c3910.jpeg

Love NZ spinach!  So by casserole it was baked with maybe a crunchy topping? Different countries, different terms.

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Love NZ spinach!  So by casserole it was baked with maybe a crunchy topping? Different countries, different terms.

I prefer real spinach but this is much easier to grow. Picking the leaves off the vines is a bit tedious. Topping is sunflower seeds and a sprinkle of paprika. I toasted the seeds this time but they tasted a bit burnt. Of course I used a can of Campbells mushroom soup. What would you call this?

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

1 hour ago, haresfur said:

Topping is sunflower seeds and a sprinkle of paprika. I toasted the seeds this time but they tasted a bit burnt. Of course I used a can of Campbells mushroom soup. What would you call this?

Oh! Yes that crud is typical . The go-to for a cream sauce in US Mid West. I think I'd have enjoyed your version.

• Like 2

IMG_6449.thumb.jpeg.20df498caf356b1283aa705543bbff9e.jpeg

Pork butt rubbed and ready for the smoker. Younger (adult) son requested for his birthday. 

IMG_6450.thumb.jpeg.885f5d9b9c6f7c44b759a7bf10e31857.jpeg

Chicken thighs rubbed, smoked, and ready to be finished in the oven. Two guests were Muslim so we needed an alternative to pork. 

IMG_6451.thumb.jpeg.32b6f7e266079f3893b6a283e4cbe254.jpeg

Front row L to R: Homemade coleslaw, pulled pork with sauce, BBQ sauce, pulled pork without sauce. canned beans (with pork), smoked and roasted chicken, cucumber salad.

Back row:  Chips, potato salad, potato rolls, corn, baked beans (without pork).

Store-bought cheesecake for dessert

Edited by C. sapidus
Expound (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 9