• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

nice 

why are their two prices for most pf the listings ?

25 / 38 

Starter v Main, I would have thought. Very common.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

nice 

why are their two prices for most pf the listings ?

25 / 38 

Yeah, a big or a small portion of the spargel.  3 spears vs. 5 or 6 plus more of the potatoes or whatever.

I generally get a small portion, along with a side of salmon or their fried chicken. I can’t eat 6 of those giant spears, and Sig Eater doesn’t go for the spargel too much.

• Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Boneless pork loin seems to always be on sale: $1.99/b. Picked up one with more visible fat for char siu, left 3 slices and a small roast (for the freezer.

Slabs marinating for char siu, and did up the 3 with Panko crumbs and mushroom gravy. Potato slices in the air fryer from previous baked taters.

BreadedPorkMushroomgravy0766.jpg.fbfb78b376cff8acc6b690f660890188.jpg

Wishing we could have good fresh seafood, but alas, frozen will have to suffice. Bouillabaisse for supper last night.

Bouillabaisse0779.jpg.6fcadd2349ea159197cf0ee6eb9666b8.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

21 minutes ago, Dejah said:

Boneless pork loin seems to always be on sale: $1.99/b. Picked up one with more visible fat for char siu, left 3 slices and a small roast (for the freezer.

Slabs marinating for char siu, and did up the 3 with Panko crumbs and mushroom gravy. Potato slices in the air fryer from previous baked taters.

BreadedPorkMushroomgravy0766.jpg.fbfb78b376cff8acc6b690f660890188.jpg

Wishing we could have good fresh seafood, but alas, frozen will have to suffice. Bouillabaisse for supper last night.

Bouillabaisse0779.jpg.6fcadd2349ea159197cf0ee6eb9666b8.jpg

If you can't meet the boats at the dock or catch/gather your own, we prefer frozen. The advances in flash/deep freezing the past ten years or so...or have a trusted fish monger, frozen is preferred. We plan to make similar tomorrow night. From the freezer. 

We have kayaks to gather mussels, a boat for fishing, friends that dive for scallops. A secret location with thousands of sea urchin just 5 feet down.

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Duvel said:

Just perfect ! I know what’s definitely on my menu for this long weekend 🤗

Damn enablers here. Especially @weinoo. But we know that already 😏

So, just headed out to get some fresh local asparagus. Fields start right behind the next two streets; the next booth to sell the produce - however - is almost 2 km away …

Classic setup: Spargel, new potatoes (boiled with caraway), boiled egg, Speck, Schinken, Lachsschinken

E0366E19-4A9A-4AC1-AE79-35FBB82A52C3.thumb.jpeg.74114d716d365e95d4fde00b7d11aace.jpeg

Oh … and Hollandaise 🤗

0E0307DE-FDAC-42A5-8D53-61B58B24533F.thumb.jpeg.c0528d4edbd3c877bddd778448b436b8.jpeg

Plus an “everyday” white from the next vineyard to my home, also about 2 km from here … quite good.

DDAAE588-B35D-4FDD-92F9-ADCD188FA10D.thumb.jpeg.2a303b6605d3cbdd10ee939b059fa385.jpeg

Rest of the family does not share my enthusiasm for Spargel and got Macarons - tubular pasta with a meat-tomato sauce, gratinated with cheese. Catalan comfort food.

E1B10993-708C-4494-9C13-CD9D4E8E0C4A.thumb.jpeg.73afc27c44c81cac55329d0823b2cf40.jpeg

Little do they know we’ll all have Spargel again on this long weekend 🥳

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Shelby said:
5 hours ago, weinoo said:

I'll come up and eat her share.  You guys can call me insignificant eater.

Even better … come straight to the source. Just had the guest room* cleaned today 🤗

750EDA2F-EEE9-4968-9097-143EDEC63EF0.thumb.jpeg.afcb1e3e82693f98984353e71450e671.jpeg

—-

* just to be clear - that’s not the whole guest room 😜

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

The rest is in the, uh, basement??

No, it’s actually the entire top floor. Took the picture from the stairs, as I was so happy the new cleaning thingie found the dead corner on its own 🥳

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

No, it’s actually the entire top floor. Took the picture from the stairs, as I was so happy the new cleaning thingie found the dead corner on its own 🥳

Ah perspectove - must be considered.  Maybe discussed before but on the white asparagus is it just a more delicate flavor? How would you side by sde it to green. Also if we got green a thick as the white I see it would be quite fibrous. Imagine the blanching affects that issue. 

19 minutes ago, heidih said:

Ah perspectove - must be considered.  Maybe discussed before but on the white asparagus is it just a more delicate flavor? How would you side by sde it to green. Also if we got green a thick as the white I see it would be quite fibrous. Imagine the blanching affects that issue. 

Well … if it is fresh (like cut in the morning fresh) it is very delicate with a milder flavor than the green phenotype (which is basically the same plant, just grown under / above the earth). You need to peel it (with a special peeler that cuts just a very thin outer layer away, which is reserved for stock). Then blanch in water with some sugar/salt/lemon slice for 5-8 min - very tender. I also usually eat a spear or two raw while I am at it, cooks treat 😋

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Well … if it is fresh (like cut in the morning fresh) it is very delicate with a milder flavor than the green phenotype (which is basically the same plant, just grown under / above the earth). You need to peel it (with a special peeler that cuts just a very thin outer layer away, which is reserved for stock). Then blanch in water with some sugar/salt/lemon slice for 5-8 min - very tender. I also usually eat a spear or two raw while I am at it, cooks treat 😋

Tender - and I find spargel to be a juicier asparagus than green, though the way I cook green it's pretty tender as well.  In my opinion, all asparagus ought be peeled.

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I am flashing back to Steel Magnolias when the ladies are shocked and in unison say "Oh Shelby!"  But if you like it I am all for it. Dictating taste ticks me off. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, heidih said:

I am flashing back to Steel Magnolias when the ladies are shocked and in unison say "Oh Shelby!"  But if you like it I am all for it. Dictating taste ticks me off. 

LOL one of my favorite movies.

I like it--it's just NOT real asparagus.  It's like.....spaghetti o's....those aren't real pasta lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

LOL one of my favorite movies.

I like it--it's just NOT real asparagus.  It's like.....spaghetti o's....those aren't real pasta lol.  

Or canned mushrooms. They are just a different fungi!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2936.thumb.jpeg.d9f5eda8131394446192a2cca83f25d6.jpeg

Aloo gobi from a local Indian restaurant (delivered). Spicy but good and there is enough left for another meal. I also enjoyed some methi roti with it.  

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog