• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

the ancho or dried poblano.

I believe that the dried red ancho

chili is the one most commonly used in commercial chili powders. You're not wrong in thinking that it shows up in a lot of chorizo recipes because that is the one that has been easiest to find. I'm not sure that I would just use the poblano because, to me, it just doesn't have a complex enough flavor. As I understand it, the New Mexican chili is a variety of the Anaheim pepper. Depending on the batch sometimes it has a little bit of a kick. The combination of peppers is what you will most likely find in true Mexican chorizo.

The varieties of chiles that can be labelled "New Mexico Chile" are numerous. In order to be called NM chile the pure chile powder (meaning no additives) must be from peppers grown exclusively in New Mexico. I'm not sure whether or not the original strain was an anaheim variety, but I never even heard of an anaheim chile until I moved from NM to CA. When we bought long green chiles in NM they were never labeled "Anaheim." They were longer than the poblanos and brighter green. Sometimes they were specified as Hatch, presumably if they were grown in that location. They were routinely, reliably hot. The CA Anaheim, at least as sold in CA, is very very mild, and just about worthless in my opinion.

Ancho chile is the dried form of ripe poblanos. I think of it as rather a medium heat when sold as powder, with a touch sweetness; a workhorse chile. Often good red chile sauces will be made from a combination of ancho and other types, depending on the kind of flavor you are after, or what chiles would be local to your area.  Poblano peppers can range from hot to mild; the fresh green ones sold here in the Bay Area are typically mild, but every once in a while I can find hot ones. It  isn't predictable. The Mexican supermarket near me, which, sadly, closed, used to be my best chance for hot poblanos and hot jalapeños. Then I found one vendor at one farmer's market whose poblanos were good and hot. Too bad for me, that same vendor's poblanos have been very mild since the pandemic. No idea why. My husband usually does the farmers' market run and he won't ask why.

• Like 1

And just for fun, pasilla chile packets are often labeled "ancho" - I think chile names vary across Mexico.

I don't normally post leftovers but this was interesting. I had used strip steak in the Panang beef but realized that the "beef" specified in the recipe should have been a longer-cooking cut to allow the sauce to be cooked down.

So this morning I fished out the steak, cooked down the sauce, and then warmed the steak in the sauce. Much better. Cucumber salad was also better after chiles, shallots, etc. steeped overnight.

Panang_beef_202308a.thumb.jpg.fea657fca634b3ff633286487409d1c3.jpg

Edited by C. sapidus
Fumblefingers (log)
  • Like 4

Most mornings, I have 皮蛋瘦肉粥 (pí dàn shòu ròu zhōu) for breakfast. Before I got sick, I would make a huge batch overnight in the slow cooker and make up portions and freeze some, then refrigerate the rest. It lasts a good four days in the fridge. When I took one from the fridge, I replaced it with one from the freezer, keeping track of the refrigerated stock and using in rotation.

Since becoming sick, I don't make it, but have it delivered. It's OK but mine, if I may say so, is better (and a lot cheaper). Anyway, the delivery stuff always comes with one of these little bags of pickles. About 25 grams in each. Pickles are perhaps surprisingly popular with breakfast. I don't always use them, so I have built up quite a collection. Here is one of each type I have (I have about ten of each!)

picklebags.thumb.jpg.ee568aa370e609b4b33a3aef7035647f.jpg

Top row L-R: Mustard tuber (green packet);   "Student's" mustard tuber (blue); Mustard and Woodear Fungus (green)

Bottom row L-R: Five spice mixed vegetables (blue); Spicy Fish and  Oyster Mushroom (small red bag); Cowpeas (green); Daikon Radish (red)

around 70 bags!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Chorizo tacos with tomato, Poblano and Serrano chilies, onion, garlic, epazote, cilantro, cumin, Mexican oregano, and feta cheese

Good, but still not the crumbly chorizo of my dreams. :rolleyes:

Not exactly onpoint, but I smeimes bake the soyrizo after spreading it out on the sheet. Gets pretty close to crumbly - maybe worth a small experiment.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, heidih said:

Not exactly onpoint, but I smeimes bake the soyrizo after spreading it out on the sheet. Gets pretty close to crumbly - maybe worth a small experiment.

Yes, the veggie chorizo crumbles nicely. Mrs. C always keeps some in the freezer.

On 8/7/2023 at 9:51 AM, C. sapidus said:

More chorizo tacos, similar ingredients except added chicken stock, leftover Parmesan-crusted  baby potatoes, and basil.

love the idea of potatoes in your tacos. 

Moe asked for a loaded omelette for breakfast this morning.
A loaded omelette varies depending what I have on hand.
LoadedOmeletteAugust10th2023.thumb.jpg.b68b7210636c9a9d1569f90ca5b09f3a.jpg
This mornings omelette was loaded with onions, mushrooms, Italian sausage, red peppers, potatoes, salt, pepper and fresh oregano.
Served with Black Russian tomatoes from Matt's garden, and toasted sourdough bread.
I'm working today so this should keep him going almost until dinner.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

16 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@C. sapidus 

the cabbage was cooked   ?

Id enjoy having your Rx , if possible.  

thank you

that's a dish Id like to work with .

Based on @C. sapidus posts over the years I'd guess he creaed this on the fly and the cabbage was sauteed.  I'd have enjoyed some form of potato as the starch. A meal to set you up for a physically busy day - just not too much running.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

@C. sapidus 

the cabbage was cooked   ?

Id enjoy having your Rx , if possible.  

thank you

that's a dish Id like to work with .

Thanks! As @heidih said, just playing with food. But here is the general gist:

1.    Remove casing from a link of chorizo. Fry and crumble until just done and then set aside. Pour off excess sausage grease (or not, as you prefer).
2.    Core an small head of Savoy cabbage. Slice cabbage and an onion cross-ways into thin strips. Saute onion and cabbage until soft.
3.    Add minced garlic, minced Serrano chile, tomato paste, and ground cumin and sauté until the cabbage is significantly reduced. I might have also added black pepper and cayenne.
4.    Whisk two eggs with a little half-and-half and S&P. Add to pan and stir until the eggs are nearly done.
5.    Stir in cooked chorizo, chopped cilantro, Mexican oregano, and feta cheese until everything mooshes together.
6.    Adjust seasoning to taste with lime juice and salt.

I hope that helps  :smile:

And I like heidih's idea of adding potatoes.

Edited by C. sapidus (log)
  • Delicious 1

Easy breakfast this morning.  Put ingredients in the crockpot and then enjoyed my morning coffee, caught up with eG,picked up my grocery order and breakfast was ready.  Added a couple of poached eggs on  top the serving.

(recipe from 365daysofcrockpot.com)

Kentucky Potatoes

•  Prep Time: 10 minutes
  •  
  •  Yield: 46 servings 1x

O’brien potatoes in a creamy sauce with cheese. These easy 6-ingredient potatoes can be made in the Instant Pot, Crockpot or the oven.

Ingredients

1 (26 oz) bag frozen o’brien potatoes with onions and peppers

• 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbells cream of potato soup
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Instructions

Instant Pot Instructions:

1. Add potatoes, cream of potato soup, garlic powder, pepper, salt and sour cream into Instant Pot. Stir well.
  2. If you have an air fryer lid: use the bake button at 350 for 20 minutes. Then stir in the cheese and bake for 10 more minutes. If you don’t have an air fryer lid: turn Instant Pot to the slow cook “more” or “high” setting and set it to 2 hours. Stir in the cheese and slow cook for another 30 minutes. 
  3. Serve and enjoy!

Slow Cooker Instructions:

1. Add all ingredients into slow cooker and stir.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until hot and bubbly.
  3. Serve and enjoy!

Oven Instructions:

1. In a large bowl stir all ingredients together.
  2. Add to a greased 9×9 inch baking dish.
  3. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!
  • Category: Side
  • Method: Instant Pot/Slow Cooker/Oven

• Like 3

@lindag 

that's an interesting idea .  

I vant had O'B 's since college .  

just wondering if GBP's sneak in there some how  

but a bag of something else Fz   might be interesting

since this is potato         a bag of tots ?     your favorite seasoning ?

Sorry, @rotuts, O'Brien potatoes traditionally contained green bell peppers.

"Legend has it that potatoes o'brien was the brainchild of an early-20th-century New York City restaurant owner who went by the name Beefstew O'Brien. His idea was to give color and kick to a skillet of fried potatoes by adding a handful of diced bell peppers and pimentos."

Saveur

• Like 1