• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Gadgets You Don't Need?

liuzhou

On 6/8/2021 at 11:06 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Mine is Kuhn Rikon.  I love it.  I have no problems with the cleaning.

K-R has made multiple designs over the years — the newer ones work like this, and they're amazing:
kuhn-rikon-kuhn-rikon-garlic-press.thumb.jpeg.4aff55e304d9b97eff1ed0d026b93bc0.jpeg

I have lots of stuff from the Guardian article, of course:

1. Ice cream maker — found an old Simac at a thrift store for $15 (!) and I use it occasionally to good effect. I hated my "freeze the bowl" one that I had prior. The compressor is really necessary for me to be bothered with it, but I'm not entirely sure I'd spend the money on a new one. 
  2. Honey dipper — ok, I don't use it much, but it's also one of the smallest and cheapest things in my kitchen -- who cares?
  3. Popcorn machine — have one, but have mostly moved over to making my popcorn in a wok. So I guess this fails the test. If we made popcorn more often I'd get a whirly pop.
  4. Coffee grinder — I classify this as a medical necessity because my brain does not work without it.
  5. Bread maker — I unapologetically love mine. Great for sandwich bread on a weekday and great for dough when I want to do something fancier. 
  6. Garlic press — someone mentioned on a Splendid Table episode recently that opposition to garlic presses is kind of a class thing in the UK, which I found fascinating. I use mine frequently but not exclusively. I have never gotten that side-of-the-chef's-knife garlic paste thing to work for me, though. As should be obvious from the image above, garlic getting stuck or wasted is not an issue with a well designed press; I have never seen one as useless looking as the one in the article.
  7. Electric juicer — I suspect they mean the grinding sort, which I don't have, but I do have a citrus juicer. I like it, but don't really use it all that often. I should use it more!

• Like 2