• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Speciality coffee: which are your favorite roasters?

During the past year, our coffee consumption at home has increased substantially. We have tried beans from different roasteries from the UK and Europe, but we are constantly in the search of new ones. The speciality coffee market has been rapidly increasing in past years and it is becoming easier to find high quality beans.

The best roasteries we have tried so far:

• UK based: Round Hill Roastery, Square Mile, Monmouth,  Pharmacie, New Ground, Workshop, James Gourmet, Ozone.
  • Europe based: The Barn (Germany), Gardelli (Italy), Hard Beans (Poland), Calendar (Ireland), Roasted Brown (Ireland), Right Side (Spain), Coffee Collective (Denmark).

Have you had any exciting coffee beans lately? Do you have any other recommendations?

• 3 months later...

Not easily available for you, @Objective Foodie, but for here, a favorite is George Howell. I did have a subscription to Tim Wendelboe out of Oslo, but international shipping, delays and customs all made for unmanageable inventory control (i.e. running out of coffee at inopportune times). Another subscription, which is on hold, is via Counter Culture in North Carolina. Good beans, also roasted the day before or day of shipment, but not absolute fave and variety sometimes lacking.

Ordered online, Howell ships within a day or two (some may even be roasted to order, otherwise within the past day or two). Coffee ordered Thursday and package arrived yesterday...

IMG_3903.thumb.JPG.95d18f37c5a3e000768c00033a33e9d6.JPG

Free shipping at $50; 3 bags last about 10 - 12 days.  It's possible that a few 120 gram packages will get vacuum sealed, which depends on laziness factor.

The medium roasts can actually be played around with to use in the Silvia, which will shorten the lifespan of these 3 bags.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I have no clue as to whether they ship internationally or not, but I've become very fond of Rozark Hills right here in Arkansas. Multiple varietals, light, medium and dark roasts. Any given time they'll have two or three African, some Sumatran, three or four Mexican/Central American, a couple of Columbian, a couple of Brazilian, and often another one or two from elsewhere in South America. They roast daily, so my coffee is always pretty fresh. And damn good.

Website here.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I prefer light roasts and my favorites are varietal roasts from Red Rooster, Blanchard's and Lexington.  All three are located in Virginia, so are local enough for me to pick up without using the mail.  I have a local coffee shop which sells beans by the pound, and carries selections from each of these roasters, as well as others. They curate very well, so that helps my selection process.

My favorite coffee recently was from Blanchard's, Ethiopian Gedeb Worka.  Lots of strawberry.  Fairly aggressive in a pour-over (Kalita) but it balances very nicely in the Bunn 12-cup coffeemaker we use in the office.

Edited by donk79 (log)

i roast my own; lately this week i've been drinking a medium-dark tanzanian peaberry, though next week the natural processed el salvadors will be re-entering the rotation until we finish them off.

with that said in ontario if you need to buy, pilot and detour are nice, and out in alberta, rogue wave is truly excellent

Edited by jimb0 (log)

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Hi,
I'm a huge fan of coffee, i live in France and take my coffee in Italy because they are professional roasters and i'm consuming only fresh coffee (freshly ground) with a bean-to-cup machine (https://machine-a-cafe-grain.fr/).
So i confirm you than Rubens Gardelli is the best for me 🤩 and so, the one I recommend 😀

Edited by Jonas (log)
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

@jimb0   I also home roast with a Gene roaster currently.   Started out with the heat gun dog bowl method and moved through different methods including the stir crazy turbo oven method.   If you been home roasting long enough you know what I’m referring to. As far as coffee, I buy green beans.   Just got 3 different beans from Sweet Maria’s.  5 lbs of each 

856A40F3-36AE-4903-8496-7CEE49173288.jpeg

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      INSTEAD OF COFFEE? - MORNING GREEN COCKTAIL

After waking up, most of us head towards the kitchen for the most welcome morning drink. Coffee opens our eyes, gets us up and motivates us to act. Today I would like to offer you a healthy alternative to daily morning coffee. I don't want to turn you off coffee completely. After all, it has an excellent aroma and fantastic flavor. There isn't anything more relaxing during a busy day than a coffee break with friends.

In spite of the weather outside, change your kitchen for a while and try something new. My green cocktail is also an excellent way to wake up and restore energy. Add to it a pinch of curcuma powder, which brings comfort and acts as a buffer against autumn depression.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
      200ml of green tea
      4 new kale leaves
      1 green cucumber
      half an avocado
      1 pear
      1 banana
      pinch of salt
      pinch of curcuma

Peel the avocado, pear and banana. Remove the core from the pear. Blend every ingredient very thoroughly. If the drink is too thick, add some green tea. Drink at once.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      My Irish Coffee  
      Today the children will have to forgive me, but adults also sometimes want a little pleasure. This is a recipe for people who don't have to drive a car or work, i.e. for lucky people or those who can rest at the weekend. Irish coffee is a drink made with strong coffee, Irish Whiskey, whipped cream and brown sugar. It is excellent on cold days. I recommend it after an autumn walk or when the lack of sun really gets you down. Basically, you can spike the coffee with any whiskey, but in my opinion Jameson Irish Whiskey is the best for this drink.

If you don't like whiskey, instead you can prepare another kind of spiked coffee: French coffee with brandy, Spanish coffee with sherry, or Jamaican coffee with dark rum.
      Ingredients (for 2 drinks)
      300ml of strong, hot coffee
      40ml of Jameson Irish Whiskey
      150ml of 30% sweet cream
      4 teaspoons of coarse brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of caster sugar
      4 drops of vanilla essence
      Put two teaspoons of brown sugar into the bottom of two glasses. Brew some strong black coffee and pour it into the glasses. Warm the whiskey and add it to the coffee. Whisk the sweet cream with the caster sugar and vanilla essence. Put it gently on top so that it doesn't mix with the coffee.

Enjoy your drink!

• By Kasia
      Today I would like to share with you the recipe for swift autumn cookies with French pastry and a sweet ginger-cinnamon-pear stuffing. Served with afternoon coffee they warm us up brilliantly and dispel the foul autumn weather.

Ingredients (8 cookies)
      1 pack of chilled French pastry
      1 big pear
      1 flat teaspoon of cinnamon
      1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
      2 tablespoons of brown sugar
      1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
      2 tablespoons of milk

Heat the oven up to 190C. Cover a baking sheet with some baking paper.
      Wash the pear, peel and cube it. Add the grated ginger, cinnamon, vanilla sugar and one tablespoon of the brown sugar. Mix them in. Cut 8 circles out of the French pastry. Cut half of every circle into parallel strips. Put the pear stuffing onto the other half of each circle. Roll up the cookies starting from the edges with the stuffing. Put them onto the baking paper and make them into cones. Smooth the top of the pastry with the milk and sprinkle with brown sugar. bake for 20-22 minutes.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Johnhouse
      Hello everyone!

I have been working in food and beverage industry for almost 10 years in different countries. I am looking forward to learn new things on this forum to expand my food and beverage knowledge as well as sharing my experiences that I gained in my journey!

Have a good day! ☺️ 
    • By catdaddy
      Mrs catdaddy has been good this year and I'm considering buying a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present. I know this machine gets a lot of love here, especially when outfitted with a PID. After reading many posts I'm just wondering if there is anything new (since 2013 say) I should know about  the Rancilio or other great machine on the market?

Also any tips about use and/or essential other tools.....like a good knock box. We've got a great grinder already.