• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Mjx

Omnivores, what are your favorite vegan dishes?

I'm helping to prepare food for a party, and several of the guests are vegan, and, because I grew up in a vegetarian household, and a lot of the food we ate would have been suitable for vegans, too, I've been asked to come up with several suitable dishes.

The thing is, I'd like to make some dishes that are really appealing, rather than just 'pretty decent for a vegan dish'. I can think of several possibilities, but I'd love to hear other omnivores' experiences of vegan dishes that they really enjoyed, things they'd make themselves/again, or look forward to eating if they knew it was going to be served to them.

Thanks!

M.

Right now my favorite is a tomato fennel soup.

Love roasted cauliflower steaks.

I do a vegan pad thai that I just add sautéed shrimp or chicken to for Johnnybird.

I was going to say to pull some corn off the stalk, shuck it. toss it hot water for a short amount of time and have vegan perfection... then I realized I couldn't roll it  in butter. Then I thought about the Thai cucumber salad I like to have when I make Thai food... and realized it contains fish sauce. Even a nice tomato sandwich isn't the same without mayo. So I suppose I don't actually have a favorite vegan dish. Maybe hope the lawn needs to be mowed that day and send 'em out to graze? :P :D

• Haha 4

By a long margin, Nasu Dengaku – Miso Glazed Eggplant.

• Like 2

Shredded Brussels sprouts with farro. Toast the farro in olive oil, add water, cook, spread on a plate to cool. Shred sprouts coarsely; saute in hot skillet. Mix with farro. Season to taste with balsamic vinegar and a tiny bit of honey, salt and pepper.

• Like 1

Hummous and egg plant dip made out of roasted eggplant with olive oil and basil

And vegetable stir fry.

@Tri2Cook: How about a thai cucumber salad with soy sauce instead of fish sauce

Corn on the cob sounds good to me. I don't like butter on it.

• Like 2

麻辣豆腐, mala doufu the vegan version of mapo doufu.

• Like 2

I forgot.....

The mention of tofu brings it up:

Tempeh (or timpeh).

Deep fried and with sweet soy and chili's (tempeh goreng).

I will choose it over a meat dish anytime

• Like 1

Eggplant seems to be popular with us omnivores.  For parties, caponata is always a winner. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I was going to say to pull some corn off the stalk, shuck it. toss it hot water for a short amount of time and have vegan perfection... then I realized I couldn't roll it  in butter. Then I thought about the Thai cucumber salad I like to have when I make Thai food... and realized it contains fish sauce. Even a nice tomato sandwich isn't the same without mayo. So I suppose I don't actually have a favorite vegan dish. Maybe hope the lawn needs to be mowed that day and send 'em out to graze? :P :D

Can't do much about the butter with the corn BUT...

there are things you can use besides fish sauce and there are vegan mayos.......

• Like 1

dark chocolate, french fries ...

Is this a sit-down dinner (plated or family style), buffet, finger-food? 

2 hours ago, suzilightning said:

Can't do much about the butter with the corn BUT...

there are things you can use besides fish sauce and there are vegan mayos.......

I'm sure there are. And honestly, I'm glad there are. People should have choices no matter how they choose or are required to eat. My comment was mostly meant to be funny, with maybe a touch of taking a shot across the vegan bow in the mix. Probably should have refrained. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kayb said:

and a tiny bit of honey

Honey isn't vegan.  I know, it seems extreme, but some vegans are sticklers.

24 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

Are yeasts and other living microorganisms used in breads and fermented foods vegan? Not instigating anything here, genuinely curious.

30 minutes ago, Chimayo Joe said:

You know, I've read that some vegans are OK with honey, and some are not. I suspect one could use agave nectar, if one eschewed honey.

22 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Are yeasts and other living microorganisms used in breads and fermented foods vegan? Not instigating anything here, genuinely curious.

I'm not sure where vegans draw the line.

Yeast and bacteria are okay.  

Are there any protozoan foods?  If there are, I think vegans would probably rule them out, but it seems like that would be a strange distinction to make.

4 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I'm sure there are. And honestly, I'm glad there are. People should have choices no matter how they choose or are required to eat. My comment was mostly meant to be funny, with maybe a touch of taking a shot across the vegan bow in the mix. Probably should have refrained. 

Nah.......

how do we learn if we don't share info..........

and I DID laugh when I read it.

6 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

I am refraining.  Although if anyone wants to make fun of my omnivore eating, I will laugh with you. 

How about roasted potatoes?  Topped with multitudes of herbs?  Grilled or broiled portobello mushroom caps filled with roasted cherry tomatoes?

• Like 1

These are all kind of oddball, but they're ones that I crave.  They're not necessarily vegan, but I think they could be adapted pretty easily.   

Mushroom barley soup - I love the seared mushrooms

http://www.bemindfulbehuman.com/index.php/warm-winter-soups-week-2016-mushroom-barley-soup/

Butternut squash turnover (the blogger adapted it to filo) - need a vegan pastry and a sub for the saltiness of the parmesan - little turnovers could be fun.

http://www.slowtrav.com/blog/marta/archives/006420.html

Beets with lime butter - though this may be because of the butter....I've never tried it with oil.

http://melissacooksgourmet.blogspot.com/2008/09/beets-with-lime-butter-mashed-potatoes.html 

And I really like the Cooks Illustrated black bean, tomato, corn salad (that's more of a summer thing, though). 

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/fresh-corn-black-beans-and-tomato-salad-387887

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cashew cheese is the vegan standard and it lends itself to lots of uses.  It might be a substitute for either butter or mayo though there are good coconut-based spreads for corn.  It would go well on cauliflower as well.

Edited by DocDougherty (log)
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Ling
      Hi everyone! In our last Iron Baker challenge, I was given the task of coming up with a modern take on the retro classic Pineapple Upside-down Cake. For those who missed it the first time around, a picture of my creation can be found here. Now that the first round is over, it's my pleasure to introduce gfron1 as the next baker who will be presented with the new challenge!
      gfron1 is a very talented baker who has posted beautiful dessert creations in our Dessert thread. I am a huge fan. Here is a look at what he can do!
      So, my challenge to gfron1 is this:
      Make a dessert containing an animal ingredient or product other than lard or bacon by October 10th.
      I think all of us will be waiting with bated breath for whatever innovative/scary/(and most importantly) tasty combinations you come up with!
      (Now we just gotta wait around until he notices this thread and accepts... )
      P.S. If you're vegetarian, I can change the challenge.
    • By Lisa Shock
      Years ago, when I visited Tokyo, I ate in a small but fascinating restaurant called 'It's Vegetable' which is now, unfortunately, closed. The chef was from Taiwan, and he made Buddhist vegetarian and vegan dishes that resembled meat. During my visit, several monks wearing robes stopped in to eat dinner. The dishes were pretty amazing. I understood some of them, like using seitan to mimic chicken in stir fry dishes, others used tofu products like yuba, but, others were complex and obviously difficult. One very notable dish we enjoyed was a large 'fish' fillet designed to serve several people. It had a 'skin' made of carefully layered 'scales' cut from nori and attached to the surface. Inside, the white 'flesh' flaked and tasted much like a mild fish. Anyway, apparently Buddhist fake meat meals are very popular in Taiwan and many places, cheap through to fine dining serve them. Yes, if I worked on it for a while, I could probably refine one or two dishes on my own, but, I am wondering if there's a Modernist Cuisine type cookbook for skillfully making these mock meats from scratch? (I have heard that some items are commercially made and available frozen there, much like soy-based burgers are in the US.) I am willing to try almost any offering, even if it's entirely in Chinese. And, I know how to use remailers to purchase regional items from the various local retailers worldwide who do not ship to the US.
    • By Trufflenaut
      Does anyone know of a source for a vegan confectioner's glaze suitable for sugar/chocolate panning (for sealing the candies from the Evils of the Outside World)?  I have a couple of friends who are vegan or vegetarian, and I'd like to avoid being a total jerk if I can help it ("Look at these tasty treats I made THAT YOU CAN'T EAT!!  MWAHAHA!!").  I need small quantities, as this is just for occasional home use.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)

• By Kasia
      Courgette cutlets

I found the recipe for courgette cutlets at www.gotujzcukiereczkiem.pl. It appealed to me at once for three reasons. Firstly, the courgette is my favourite vegetable. Secondly, cutlets, pancakes and crumpets are my children's favourites dishes. Thirdly, this dish is fast, simple and is always a success. You must not use FB while frying, because it may end with you ordering pizza for dinner 

The cutlets are mild and their flavour is spiced up with feta cheese. You can complement them with your favourite herbs. In my kitchen there is always basil, dill, peppermint, rosemary and thyme. This time I chose dill (in accordance with the recipe) and thyme.

Ingredients:
      400g of courgette
      1 egg
      150g of feta cheese
      110g of breadcrumbs (+ 4 tablespoons for the batter)
      2 tablespoons of minced dill
      1 tablespoon of thyme
      salt and pepper

Wash the courgette and grate it. Add salt and leave it in a bowl for 15 minutes. Drain it then mix in the egg, feta cheese, breadcrumbs and herbs. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Make small cutlets with the mixture and fry in oil. Serve with natural yoghurt.