• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

On being poor and eating...

8 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

To those who are poor (able-bodied) and think they can't cook or don't have the time, at least get a CrockPot!!!

Taking advantage of the food bank here REQUIRES cooking!

Dry pinto beans, dry great north beans, dry red beans, split peas, lentils, rice, pasta, meat, raw potatoes, etc.

That stuff makes up at least 75%-80% of what's available at the food bank.

Some 40 years ago I remember standing behind people using food stamps in a neighborhood supermarket, agonizing that they were buying Prego and Hamburger Helper, wishing that I could somehow tap them on the shoulder, bring them home and teach them how to cook from scratch.    So much cheaper, so much more healthful for them, so much better for the planet.   Too inhibited then to do so.   Should have.

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

Another way I save on SNAP is to almost never buy packaged drinks of any type.

I drink water, coffee, and tea, 99.9% of the time.

I installed a six-stage reverse osmosis water filtration system with a permeate pump (conserves water) in 2010 when I bought this place.

It's been an excellent investment — $200 — I've recouped that MANY times.

The water it produces is just like premium spring water.

The filtered water goes to the cats too! 😺

A friend drinks mostly Dr. Pepper — one+ 2 liter bottle(s) every day.

One of the reasons why his SNAP runs-out long before the end of the month!

• Like 4

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

That's pretty much me as well, though I splurge on a couple of beers most weeks (which I'm pretty sure drops me from 99.9% to...98-point-something?) as well. Don't think of milk as a beverage, have no taste for fruit juice or sweet 'n' fizzy stuff.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

Another way I save on SNAP is to almost never buy packaged drinks of any type.

I installed a six-stage reverse osmosis water filtration system with a permeate pump (conserves water) in 2010 when I bought this place.

It's been an excellent investment — $200 — I've recouped that MANY times.

The water it produces is just like premium spring water.

The filtered water goes to the cats too! 😺

A friend drinks mostly Dr. Pepper — one+ 2 liter bottle(s) every day.

One of the reasons why his SNAP runs-out long before the end of the month!

Sadly, I think your last 2 statements are what is wrong with the SNAP program. Or one of the things wrong with the program.  But that gets into a whole other political/socio-economic thing.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Most of what I see people using EBT/SNAP at the 99cent store for example are purchasing vegetables, and staples. Thankfully our Farmers Markets are on board as well. Also the luxury of living in a large city with many ethnic markets near major bus routes. Selection and stellar pricing PLUS access. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

Arkansas has a program where SNAP dollars get two-for-one at participating farmers' markets. The market processes the SNAP amount, gives the shopper twice the specified amount in tokens, which the shopper then spends at the individual booths. Helps the farmers, helps the shoppers, all around good deal.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Sadly, I think your last 2 statements are what is wrong with the SNAP program. Or one of the things wrong with the program.  But that gets into a whole other political/socio-economic thing.

Tough to force healthier options. I get no cigarettes and alcohol but your gonna take the one thing that makes the poor guy happy?  But yeah, hear you.  

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

39 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Tough to force healthier options. I get no cigarettes and alcohol but your gonna take the one thing that makes the poor guy happy?  But yeah, hear you.  

Well, you see I believe the government should pay for the soda and the healthy food. But then it also needs to pay for education and the health care when someone develops any number of diseases from poor diet..

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

The friend mentioned above is one of my ex-partners — so I'm tough on him!

The problem is that he drinks Dr. Pepper and complains loudly that he's getting fat and he doesn't have enough food.

I point out what a horrible choice it is and what a terrible money manager he is — tough love!!! LOL

Truth is, if SNAP didn't cover the Dr. Pepper, he'd pay for it with his SSI funds.

• Sad 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

36 minutes ago, DiggingDogFarm said:

The friend mentioned above is one of my ex-partners — so I'm tough on him!

The problem is that he drinks Dr. Pepper and complains loudly that he's getting fat and he doesn't have enough food.

I point out what a horrible choice it is and what a terrible money manager he is — tough love!!! LOL

Truth is, if SNAP didn't cover the Dr. Pepper, he'd pay for it with his SSI funds.

Can I just say (from what I remember many years ago) Diet Dr Pepper is one of the better tasting diet sodas.

• Like 2

That wasn't chicken

• 2 weeks later...

Someone had to give up their espresso machine on Freecycle because fixing it could come to $500.

I took a chance and picked it up.

Spent 1/2 a day and got it fixed. Interesting that I couldn't find any fix-it video on youtube.

It's a Pasquini Livietta T2. Adding shipping and tax, the thing could come to $1,200 buying new. It costed me $0.00.

dcarch

837310006_espressocoffeeb.thumb.JPG.e66b0d614bc02f3d4b85152dc15de893.JPG

736383619_espressocoffeea.thumb.JPG.8f4c216587f5680dc92929db401124aa.JPG

Edited by dcarch (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

• Like 2