• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

pastrygirl

Have you ever had a buttery?

I was thinking "have I ever had a buttery what?"... :D ...and then I saw that it's not a buttery anything, it's just a buttery. So nope, never had a buttery. 

• Like 1

Often. As a kid I would be packed off for the summer to live with cousins in Fife, where butteries are also eaten. Haven't had one in decades.

As I recall, they taste...well, buttery. But savoury. Not sweet like kouign-amann.

• Like 1

The recipes I have in my older baking books are all made with a mixture of butter and lard (or just lard), and minimal or no sugar. One describes the dough as similar to a croissant but a different shape. The proportion of fat to flour is high in all of the recipes I could find.

Serious Eats recipe

Uses some of the techniques one might associate with croissants but includes sugar. Intriguing. 

I also ran across a recipe by the Hairy Bikers which suggested serving them with jam?

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I also ran across a recipe by the Hairy Bikers which suggested serving them with jam? 

Yes, very common.

• Thanks 1

Someone should make them and report back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

Someone should make them and report back.

Someone?😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Someone?😂😂😂😂

I enthusiastically searched a few recipes just to see what I would be getting into because I don't have a whole lot planned for today unless the rain moves out. And then I saw that I would be laminating dough and decided to file it away for fall or winter... or not at all. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As it happened, today we went to the Ottawa Farmer's market and someone had a stall selling bread and various yeast based pastries.  And guess what - one of the items was a Scottish buttery.  Pictures below.  The last picture is a close-up of it as it sits on my counter.  They are very light.  This fellow says he used 4 parts butter to 1 of lard.  The only reason he uses lard is for flakiness.  He says back in Scotland they sell for 25 cents.  We also bought a cinnamon bun and a kouign aman.  Next time I plan on buying one of each of his buns, except for marzipan.  Much as I like almonds, marzipan is nasty.  

20180617_114636.jpg

20180617_114341_resized.jpg

20180617_153601.jpg

Edited by ElsieD (log)
  • Like 10

Quite an amazing coincidence.

56 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Quite an amazing coincidence.

Isn't it just.  I had never heard of them until this morning.  I read the recipe from Serious Eats which you linked to and thought, "I could try that" (sometime).  A bit later  we went to this particular market location for this first time in a couple of years and low and behold, there were the butteries.  Butterys?  I've wrapped it up and put it in the freezer and plan on making a shrimp salad sandwich with it later this week.. Should be good.  This market has improved a lot as there were many prepared foods for sale - momos with spicy tahini sauce (we had some  delicious), alfajores, arepas, and bimibap to name a few.  I think I'll be going back before another couple of years passes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@ElsieD that's so cool that you just happened to find them out in the wild!  And that @liuzhou ate them as a child; I knew someone here would have heard of them

The only other pastry that I think of as Scottish is shortbread, also heavy on the butter... I guess they must have some good butter over there ;)  I've never been to the UK, will have to see for myself someday.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 12:14 AM, pastrygirl said:

@ElsieD that's so cool that you just happened to find them out in the wild!  And that @liuzhou ate them as a child; I knew someone here would have heard of them

The only other pastry that I think of as Scottish is shortbread, also heavy on the butter... I guess they must have some good butter over there ;)  I've never been to the UK, will have to see for myself someday.

If you haven't had a Scottish potato scone, you're missing out ;)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

If you haven't had a Scottish potato scone, you're missing out ;)

I'm Scottish. but always thought they were Irish.

Just now, liuzhou said:

I'm Scottish. but always thought they were Irish.

They do have them in Ireland, but I think they're called farls over there.

3 minutes ago, jmacnaughtan said:

They do have them in Ireland, but I think they're called farls over there.

Although there are potato farls, they are not the same as potato scones. And there are many types of farls.

Anyway, nothing to do with butteries.

That doesn't look anything like the one I bought or what I imagine the recipe from Serious Eats to look like.  Interesting.

• Like 1

Now I'm intrigued by the notion of making potato scones, which sound much like the potato cakes I grew up eating, and still make when I have leftover mashed potatoes. But they're just round.

1 hour ago, ElsieD said:

That doesn't look anything like the one I bought or what I imagine the recipe from Serious Eats to look like.  Interesting.

They look surprisingly ... rustic 😂  But I'd still eat one!

8 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

They weren’t meant to be delicate. They were meant to go on sea voyages. :D

• Like 2

Sounds like it would beat hardtack hands down.  A drizzle of lemon would take care of that pesky scurvy too!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Just how I (wistfully) remember them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Just how I (wistfully) remember them.

Are the butteries you remember eating flat like that?  Is there no yeast in them?

• Similar Content

• By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By fanny_the_fairy
      So I'm not sure whether you remember it or not but a few month ago I posted a new thread here because I was slightly scared with an upcoming internship.

Now I am actually an intern at Pierre Hermé and I thought you'd like to have some update.

Thanks for all the amazing feedback you guys provided!!!

Love

- fanny

First week: Ispahan, Emotions, Sensations & baked treats

Just one week after I arrived from New Zealand I'm already off to Paris for the long awaited internship at Pierre Hermé.

After waking up at 4.30, I head towards the 15° arrondissement shop, enter the apparently empty shop sur la pointe des pieds. Where is everyone? Luckily I quickly stumble onto Sebastien, the morning team head chef, who gives me the locker keys. I can finally go downstairs and get changed.

Hmmmmm the pâtissier outfit! While I was over-excited when I bought it because it represented the first step towards my dream, this outfit is anything but dreamy. Think oversized jacket, high-waist pied-de-poule pants and Pierre Hermé baseball cap; the most fashionable item being the shoes – white sabots.

Honestly, who could look good wearing that? Well ok, some girls do but I don’t. And just in case I still had some hopes, one of the guys said 'oh mais fanny vous etes beaucoup plus belle comme ca, vraiment' [fanny you look way better with these clothes on] when he saw me leaving the building wearing my normal everyday clothes. He looked shocked, trust me!

Once this first step is checked and I've understood how pointless it is to look at myself in the mirror, I can actually go upstairs and meet the chefs. Before that, I have to put an apron – well two actually: a cotton one and a plastic one; but this is only an anticipatory action as I know I tend to get quite dirty (and this is a total euphemism) when I cook.

Then I arrive in the laboratoire, wash my hands and shake everyone's hands. At this point, I am completely lost. Who is who? Hmmm names, so many different names. Luckily, I'm quite good with names so after a few minutes I am familiar with everyone just like we've known each others for years. That's totally not true though, and the use of vous is here to remind it.

Indeed saying vous instead of tu is like the first basic rule in the pastry shop survival guide.

The second one being to say chaud [litteraly: hot] whenever you're carrying something (usually really heavy) and not necessarily hot, as the term suggests, and you don't want anyone to get in the way. Basically, chefs say chaud not to be gross and say 'dégage' although the meanings of both words are really close. Once this rule is mastered, you have to start applying it. And believe me it feels quite weird to yell chaud every other minute. Though, it appears to be quite useful because you don't want to spill 118°C sugar syrup on your boss, do you? Well some of you might - sometimes, but please before doing so you should strongly consider a career change and/or an escape from your country, a face makeover and a name change.

By now it's just after 6am and I am awake (holly jetlag). Like not just awake – I am widely concentrated on everyone's moves and there are many many moves. In the morning team, everyone is here to produce all the cakes, entremets, emotions, yeasty treats... with the most dedicated passion.

The variety of tasks makes for the most interesting job. While every member of the team is responsible of a specific area, I wander from poste to poste to help the chef do the tasks they can't do because of their super-extra-busy schedules.

Thus in one week I got to do many different things: from sorting almonds to prepare candied lemon peels.

I started by weighing the ingredients for the crème onctueuse au chocolat. This was straightforward and was the perfect task to give me confidence on the first day.

However, I was quite – and happily – surprised when the manager told me to go with Simon to decorate the Ispahan entremets.

The Ispahan entremets are definitely one of the it-pastries at Pierre Hermé, so I was really excited to know that I was about to decorate them.

This part was overwhelming – first I had to arrange raspberries on the rose-flavoured buttercream, fill with chopped and fragrant litchis, and then decorate the top macaron by piping a drop of glucose on rose petals and then sticking them, along with some raspberries, on the macaron.

Assembling the Emotions was also a great job. Emotions are Pierre Hermé's signature desserts presented in glasses and eaten with a spoon - well unless you like to lick your fingers!

I had the chance to make both Emotions Mosaic (griotte jelly, pistachio jelly, pistachio mascarpone cream) and Celeste (rhubarb compote, fresh strawberries, passion fruit and mascarpone mousse, passion fruit marshmallows).

These are entertaining to make (basically I piped a fixed quantity of jelly with a piston into glasses - see Sensations below for more details) and are really yummy. I must say I have a weak spot for the passion fruit guimauves, even though it was a really-teeny (don't want to sound like I'm complaining because I am not) pain when I had to separate hundreds of them and roll them in icing sugar.

As you might imagine I was happy to get to make so many different things and I was really proud when they actually let me make a whole batch of Sensation Celeste. Sensations are glasses filled with different jellies and generally topped with a macaron.

First, I had to make the rhubarb compote: gelatine, rhubarb purée, lemon juice and sugar, pour a fixed quantity of it into small glasses with a piston, and allow to set before doing the same with both strawberry and passion fruit jellies.

On the same note, I also piped some banana and strawberry jelly into small round shapes for the entremet Désiré, which is totally delicious by the say.

However, I couldn't do just what I had to and couldn't restrain myself from peeking here and there. Anna, who I didn't really get to work with, is responsible for all the treats that have to go through the oven step. Hence, she makes all the brioches, croissants and other yeasty treats. But she also makes the cannelés and millefeuilles.

The cannelés are probably the best ones I've ever had: fresh, soft and fragrant.

As for the millefeuille I picked a Mosaic millefeuille because I love the pistachio-cherry combination. This was a real winner: the slight tanginess of the griottes nicely balances the creaminess of the pistachio cream. I can't wait to work in the dough team because their feuilletage is excellent! Hopefully in two weeks...

Next week: c'est la folie des macarons [it's all about macarons].

• By Rene_lorraine
      I'm a pastry cook working in NYC. We have a seasonal bread that we do with chickpeas, garlic (fresh and confit) and pecorino. We drain and rinse the chickpeas and it was working for a while but it hasn't been consistent. Bread turns out flat. What is it in chickpeas that kills the yeast and how can we counteract the effect? I'm taking a long shot by posting but wanted to further educate myself and fellow team members. Thanks so much. 
    • By pastrygirl
      Something I wonder about but have yet to attempt ...

i usually make Swiss or Italian meringue buttercream with egg whites. Occasionally I make egg yolk buttercream if I have excess yolks. 

Is there any reason why one couldn’t make whole egg buttercream?  Whole eggs whip up plenty fluffy for genoise, what if you added hot syrup and cool butter? 🤔
    • By Tara Middleton
      Alright so as of a few months ago, I decided to take an impromptu trip to Europe--mostly unplanned but with several priorities set in mind: find the best food and locate the most game-changing ice cream spots on the grounds of each city I sought out for. One of the greatest, most architecturally unique and divine cities I have visited thus far has gotta be Vienna, Austria. But what in the heck is there to eat over there?! (you might ask). 'Cause I sure as hell didn't know. So, I desperately reached out to a local Viennese friend of mine, who knows and understands my avid passion for all things edible, and she immediately shot back some must-have food dishes. Doing a bit of research beforehand, I knew I had to try the classic "Kasekreiner". Please forgive my German if I spelled that wrong. But no matter how you say it- say it with passion, because passion is just about all I felt when I ate it. Translated: it basically means cheese sausage. Honestly, what is there not to love about those two words. Even if that's not necessarily your go-to, do me a favor and give it a shot. Trust me, you won't regret it. A classic Austrian pork sausage with pockets of melty cheese, stuffed into a crisp French Baguette. No ketchup necessary (...and as an American, that's saying a lot). YUM. Best spot to try out this one-of-a-kind treat?! Bitzinger bei der Albertina – Würstelstand. Now here's a shot of me with my one true love in front of this classic Viennese green-domed building-- Karlskirche. Now, go check it.