• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Raamo

Baking with Myhrvold's "Modernist Bread: The Art and Science"

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@JoNorvelleWalker 

interesting that you bring up Raymond Calvel 

two points :

what does MBr say about  flour on the finished bread ?

flout.jpg.a7ce2d12f27fa7061c4985b0cd9d8ad4.jpg

and those tiny cracking bubbles on the crust ?

bub.jpg.2f70cb48d58ccf443c5c25c68a65f762.jpg

RC had strong opinions on both subjects I recall.

and Im not in any way bering critical of the above two loaves

or or less  first come scrolling up on this thread

nor those who baked them

Id gladly enjoy each loaf

right now

my copy is said to be out for delivery.

money-mouth.gif.eedd54809892ec836effb3699a9c3152.gif

From The Taste of Bread, Color Plate 11:  "Bubbles on the crust, a result of retarding whole loaves at refrigeration temperatures, are well received in North America.  In France bubbles are considered a defect."

Modernist bread (4--11) quotes Steven Kaplan:  "It looks like it has eczema."

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

9DFFA69F-AD80-4933-86FC-576CEDEC9F85.thumb.jpeg.38e8bdec5c8035271fc7208902cd87ed.jpeg

Cinnamon raisin swirl!   Oh boy. Hoping my granddaughter will drive over and grab one. I told her the price of one of these would be a photograph of the inside to see the swirl. If it looks good then the second one will go into the freezer for my cleaning angel to grab on Thursday. 

Those are gorgeous loaves!!  I can almost smell the cinnamon from here!  I would not be able to part with them!

12 minutes ago, lindag said:

Those are gorgeous loaves!!  I can almost smell the cinnamon from here!  I would not be able to part with them!

Thanks. Never been a fan of cinnamon swirl loaf much prefer raisin bread. 

All is not well with my French Lean Bread experiments.  The last loaf I should have pitched.  I tried making a half recipe -- 500g.  I couldn't get the dough to mix.  Only now I realize critical information was omitted from the Modernist Bread eGullet preview recipe.  If one is using a planetary stand mixer with an 8 quart bowl you are supposed to scale up the recipe.  One kg of dough won't mix properly, let alone 500 g.  I switched to my mixer's 5 quart bowl as suggested but that didn't help at all.  I even tried the paddle rather than the dough hook.

Vacuum mixing the dough just made a mess.

In an attempt to compensate I used a two and a half hour bulk fermentation with additional folds.  The loaf still didn't bake properly.  The bread came out of the oven with a shatteringly crisp crust.  But when I cut into the loaf an hour and fifteen minutes later the crust was flaccid and the crumb was still warm.  I confess I am more used to my baguettes mixed in the Zojirushi.

I have a 1.5 x poolish going as we speak.  We shall see.  Even if scaling up the recipe is the solution it doesn't solve the problem that I am one small* person who can't eat kilograms of bread a week.  I feel a bit betrayed.

*OK, medium sized.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      A SANDWICH TO GO

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a snack which you can grab and eat "on the go". I know that it is unhealthy. We should celebrate eating and eat calmly and with deliberation. However, sometimes the day is too short for everything on our schedule and we still have to eat. Admittedly, we can sin and go for some fast food, but it is healthier and tastier to prepare something quickly in our own kitchen.

Today, Camembert cheese and cranberries in a fresh, crunchy roll take the lead role. It sounds easy and yummy, doesn't it? Try it and get on with your day . Today I used a homemade cranberry preserve which was left over from dessert, but if you like you can buy your own.

Ingredients:
      2 fresh rolls (your favourite ones)
      150g of camembert cheese
      1 handful of lettuce
      2 teaspoons of butter
      2 teaspoons of pine nuts or sunflower seeds
      preserve
      100g of fresh cranberries
      3 tablespoons of brown sugar
      100ml of apple juice

Wash the cranberries. Put the cranberries, sugar and apple juice into a pan with a heavy bottom and boil with the lid on for 10-12 minutes, stirring from time to time. Try it and if necessary add some sugar. Leave to cool down. Cut the rolls in half and spread with the butter. Put some lettuce on one half of the roll. Slice the camembert cheese and arrange it on the lettuce. Put a fair portion of the cranberry preserve on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the roast pine nuts or sunflower seeds and cover with the second half of the roll.

Enjoy your meal!

• By quiet1
      We have a local Italian bakery my mom loves, but they are very expensive and hard for her to get to. She also really likes cookbooks (she reads them even if she never cooks from them  ) so I was thinking for her birthday I could get her a cookbook that has similar cookies and cakes, and offer to make a few things for her on request also.

I'll obviously look myself, but eGullet is always well informed about the quality of cookbooks so I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations. The thing about the Italian bakery is that the stuff they make seems to me to be not as sweet as classic American recipes, and often have more complex flavors and also are usually on the light end for whatever the item is. (Like even something that's intended to be dense doesn't have a very heavy sensation in the mouth.)
    • By Dave the Cook
      Modernist Bread is out now, but maybe you haven't taken the plunge. Here's your chance to win your own copy, courtesy of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Cooking Lab has provided us with a couple of other prizes that will go to a second and third winner: second place will win an autographed poster and calendar, and third place will receive an autographed poster. They are also providing an autographed bookplate for the first place winner's copy of Modernist Bread. The rules are simple: we are going to post recipes from the book that the team at The Cooking Lab has graciously provided for this purpose. To enter into the contest, you need to bake one or more of these recipes and post about them in the official contest topics by the end of November 2017. Winners will be drawn at random from those posting pictures and descriptions of their completed loaves. Complete rules and other details can be found here.

For part two, we're featuring another cornerstone recipe from the book: Direct Country-Style Bread. The only leavener here is instant yeast, so production time is considerably shortened. The relative lack of flavor compared to long-proofed doughs is offset by the use of whole grains. Courtesy of The Cooking Lab, here's that recipe (extracted from the book and reformatted for purposes of this contest):

• By ross
      Thanksgiving is around the corner, and I think I have a plan.
      I was keen on cooking the turkey sous vide, but have been vetoed by my a family member- "you can't feed grandma that bacteria-laden turkey! it never got hot!"
      I've tried to explain the process, and the safety, but I conceided. I'm cooking for a bunch of traditionalists, so I'm trying to keep it interesting, yet familiar and not too out of the box.
      I think I may have a more interesting plan now anyway.
      It goes like this-
      Break down the bird (from my CSA with Allandale Farm in Boston, MA, removing the breast skin in-tact
      break down the carcass, pan-roast it, and make stock.
      Make a tenderloin by stacking the breasts and glueing with Activa RM, and wrapping with the skin.
      two questions on this front:
      How long can the rolled "tenderloin" sit before cooking- can I roll it out 24 hours before showtime?
      Is there a decent way to add some flavor between the breasts- chopped sage/thyme, etc. or will this negatively affect the process? Will it cook OK?
      Braise the dark meat, following this Daniel Boulud recipe (ish.)
      Confit the wings. I currently have a test batch curing overnight, rubbed with a ton of salt, thyme, bay leaf, clove, tellicherry peppercorns, garlic, and some juniper. Picked up 7.5# tub of Hudson Valley Foie Gras duckfat for the cook.
      In addition, I'm going to do some truffled mashed potatoes, butternut squash soup with some smoked duck breast, and some veg- brussel sprouts, and something to keep the kids happy. Also pondering family-style (really partner-style) mac and cheese in some very small le crusets, following the Hattie's recipe.
      Is it worth brining the bird?
      I'm looking for reactions to this plan, and any improvements possible, or a good old-fashioned critique.
      Thoughts?