• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

I really enjoyed Ottolenghi's Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Spiced Butter.  You could cook up the spinach ahead, then re-warm it and top with a freshly fried egg, yogurt and the spiced butter.  I can't remember if you have yogurt or not. 

There's another Ottolenghi recipe for Spinach and gorgonzola-stuffed jacket potatoes that would be a good do-ahead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FauxPas said:

Spinach and cheese strata? It can sit for hours before cooking. Can be part of dinner or breakfast or lunch. A couple of approaches:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/spinach-and-cheese-strata/

http://www.marthastewart.com/340991/spinach-and-cheddar-strata

I checked both of these and either one would likely send me into seventh heaven but one of us is making some effort to low-carb it and I didn't want to push my luck having made that tart last night.  One of the recipes did remind me that I forgot to bring gruyere. I contend that no house is complete without cheddar, Parmesan, a nice blue and some gruyere. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I love spanakopti but isn't it rather labor-intensive?  I'd opt for the creamed spinach.

And creamed spinach it is going to be.   I love spanakopita but it does require a supply of Filo which is not here.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

12 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I really enjoyed Ottolenghi's Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt, and Spiced Butter.  You could cook up the spinach ahead, then re-warm it and top with a freshly fried egg, yogurt and the spiced butter.  I can't remember if you have yogurt or not. 

There's another Ottolenghi recipe for Spinach and gorgonzola-stuffed jacket potatoes that would be a good do-ahead.

Either one would suit me just fine but my pantry won't support the second one at the moment as my mini roomie ate all the insides of the jacket potatoes and me and my other full-sized roomie ate all the skins:). The first one is certainly apeals but I was hoping to make a side dish for tonight so I've opted for some creamed spinach.  But thank you for the great suggestions.  If I'm ever foolish enough to deal with spinach just pulled out of the ground again I will keep them in mind.xDxD

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, FauxPas said:

Not sure how serious I was about the spanakopita, though it can be made with purchased phyllo dough or even a variation with purchased puff pastry. (Because I'm pretty sure that all the Manitoulin stores carry these, ha! ;) )  

There's also various takes on spinach sushi. 

I don't think there would be much issue with finding phyllo even here. Presidents Choice makes their own brand and we certainly had no difficulty getting the puff pastry the other day.   I have made it enough times to be aware that it is somewhat labour-intensive and doesn't lend itself well to someone who works in spurts!  

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So I have almost made it to the end of my to do list. All the laundry is washed dried and folded. Ground beef is safely stashed.  The second lot of the rib cap Is swimming in the Sous Vide.  The first lot is sitting in an ice bath ready to go into the freezer.  The fat from the rib cap is still rendering the way on the stove top. The roast is in the oven.   I wonder what I have forgotten.image.jpeg.a926a48f46fb235afd16c15c92bef49e.jpegimage.jpeg.56f5e109fdeaa728bf69a67a59d06ee1.jpegimage.jpeg.3c7b71c65f89cb2e09bfed99058e708a.jpeg

The rib cap from various angles before I started attacking it.

A pile of trimmed steaks and the fact that came off them. 

image.jpeg.36692d335eed2e41bbc9d279c3b56714.jpeg

And a couple in the Sous Vide.  

image.jpeg

Edited to say: I see the photos or out of place but I'm going to just leave them rather than fight to rearrange them

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

You've gotten a ton done today, Anna!  Way more than I have for sure!  Lovely looking meat.

Thanks.  I certainly exceeded my expectations. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

just to review a bit :

image.jpeg.a926a48f46fb235afd16c15c92bef49e.jpeg.708c9e26051af848bc2a48bdf624c89b.jpeg

any idea on the orientation of this "" Cap ? ""

Im wondering if the thicker cap is over the PrimeRib area

and the thinner one is more to the sirloin area ?

Im betting that when I get 

"" sirloin tips ""

not of course like this

the fall meat I get

and do enhjoy

is the thinner section on the beef you have here ?

Nice

really really nice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

nice

where diode that VacRibCap come from ?

when I l;ooh at it I say

Nice 

then nice again !

The Butcher's Son in Toronto. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

just to review a bit :

image.jpeg.a926a48f46fb235afd16c15c92bef49e.jpeg.708c9e26051af848bc2a48bdf624c89b.jpeg

any idea on the orientation of this "" Cap ? ""

Im wondering if the thicker cap is over the PrimeRib area

and the thinner one is more to the sirloin area ?

Im betting that when I get 

"" sirloin tips ""

not of course like this

the fall meat I get

and do enhjoy

is the thinner section on the beef you have here ?

Nice

really really nice.

No clue on the orientation.

image.jpeg.c8b909fc8f33fcb72c7ae4830f5d94e4.jpeg

Roast sirloin of beef, gravy and creamed spinach. 

• Like 23

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_5232.jpg.177adc51d902952c6cd805ed060b7e0e.jpg

I don't know - I'm now above the temperature of the first batch that was too firm. Only thing different was the pot so it must be carry over heat. Next batch a degree or two higher.

IMG_5233.jpg.5b27eb6e3d4d57fb26622b4054cedffb.jpg

I purchased the book Lamingtons and Lemon Tarts before I came up. This is the first thing I've tried from it - Jamaican Ginger Cake. Can't imagine how tall it would have been in the 7 inch springform called for.

• Like 13

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

I don't think there would be much issue with finding phyllo even here. Presidents Choice makes their own brand and we certainly had no difficulty getting the puff pastry the other day.   I have made it enough times to be aware that it is somewhat labour-intensive and doesn't lend itself well to someone who works in spurts!  

I have a package of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry in the freezer, well past it's expiration date.  I'd be interested in a recipe for spanakopita.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have a package of Pepperidge Farm puff pastry in the freezer, well past it's expiration date.  I'd be interested in a recipe for spanakopita.

I have never attempted spanakopita with puff pastry. Perhaps someone else can chime in.  

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. It's a slow start to what will be a very different day than yesterday.

Breakfast was a tossup between what I really wanted to eat and the feeling that I ought to rescue some real estate in the refrigerator. Real estate won!

image.jpeg.3e5b1c798897ff9d49a3bb8ba95c6ec6.jpeg

Leftover asparagus tart reheated in the Cuisinart steam oven (CSO) and accompanied by more cherries.

Today I will probably tiptoe through my recipe books, start making a list of things we need to pick up in Sudbury  and generally just laze around which is surely what vacations are for.  

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog