• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's Products (2017–)

Kerry Beal

3 minutes ago, Shel_B said:

Some years ago I was in Vancouver and discovered a place called Pirate Joe's which sold many Trader Joe's branded items. I may be mistaken, but I think their entire inventory was TJ's products.

No, you are correct! 

But Trader Joe's (proper) helped to shut them down. Not entirely sure why, since it was basically homage to TJ's. They bought products from TJ stores in the US and brought them legally across the border and sold them for a bit of a mark-up. People in Vancouver didn't mind paying a bit more because they wanted the products, but I guess TJ's wanted to maintain control over anyone selling their products. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/david-vs-goliath-pirate-joe-s-shuts-down-following-legal-battle-with-trader-joe-s-1.4152270#:~:text=Pirate Joe's%2C the Vancouver-based,described as a "David vs.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I can't believe your daughter is off to college! Wasn't it only yesterday that she was just a little girl?  🙂

I really miss Trader Joe's but it's highly unlikely they'd ever come to Canada - bilingual + metric packaging are just the start of it. 

Indeed, it's hard to believe that she is a young adult now!

And she is also a Trader Joe's fan - her favorite products are the various dumplings and the kimbab.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

Flipping though this book while researching cookbooks for my daughter to take with her to college,

53822725944_d9f226781d_b.jpg

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this book and others you're considering once you've wrapped up your research.  Maybe over in the Cookbooks area?  People are often asking about cookbooks for young cooks so I think it would be useful for others as well. I haven't seen this book yet but have been enjoying her Cooking 101 YouTube videos on the NYTCooking channel. 

• Like 4