• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kevnick80

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

15 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

(I can't quite figure out what it is--looks like part of a ballpoint pen) to allow it to do splattering.

Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

If that's the case, we definitely have to get @Kerry Beal to get us a supply!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bentley said:

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

Thanks. So it is.

I feel as if I just took a course in chocolate making. Now I want samples!

10 hours ago, demiglace said:

I feel as if I just took a course in chocolate making. Now I want samples!

All it requires is a trip to a slightly expensive restaurant in Las Vegas or, in the case of the some of the techniques I recognized, to Savour school in Australia!

• Like 1

That was a great video - thanks for posting. A few notes that I took. First, rapping the tray with a wooden rolling pin. Brilliant since I have so many marrings from rapping my drywall spat. Second, Piping the backing on. Not sure if I have the patience, but very smart and I'm sure this is more common than I know. The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off! Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

If I were to need to try that dripping from the bottle, blowing with the empty airbrush to splatter - I'd have to have a new piece of parchment under for each colour in order to reclaim the cocoa butter. That much waste would drive me nuts. Makes me appreciate my Fuji which lets me splatter directly by just turning down the airflow.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

I plan to give that a try as well. If you do, it would be great to have photos or a description of what you did. The video moves so fast that it is difficult to decipher exactly how it was done. If I seem a little obsessed about achieving splatter, it's because I am. When I bought the Grex airbrush, I was told it could do splatter and indeed saw successful samples, but it turns out that works only for paint, not cocoa butter. I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me. The spraying of cocoa butter dripped from a bottle is very erratic in its success, though I suppose, like everything else, one gets better with practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off!

It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

First, rapping the tray with a wooden rolling pin. Brilliant since I have so many marrings from rapping my drywall spat.

Even when using the handle, not the blade?

3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me.

I was an early adopter and finally sold it for that very reason. I found it much more useful for velvet effect-ing my entremets than my chocolates.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Even when using the handle, not the blade?

I use both. I know its bad, but depends on my control for the day.

12 hours ago, Jim D. said:

All it requires is a trip to a slightly expensive restaurant in Las Vegas or, in the case of the some of the techniques I recognized, to Savour school in Australia!

Well if that's all...

12 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons

Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

20 hours ago, gfron1 said:

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.

Makes sense. It didn't look that simple in the pictures, it looked like some colors were slashing through parts of other colors causing almost a semi-latticed look in small areas. Glad to hear it's something simple after all.

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Thanks for that!

5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

Titanium in the colour ftw :D

• Like 1

Saw this one today. While I can see a slow way to do this I'm hoping someone can describe the faster time efficient method.Screenshot_20180209-172049.thumb.png.9be8356b74b09f33d6dddee72d1453ba.png

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bentley said:

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

That would be at least 8 swipes from what I see. times 30 cavities x number of trays for an operation as large as them....hmmm...maybe. The distinct lines also make me question whether that's how its done. I can totally see that working, but that would make more sense in a competition where you have a smaller volume that Valentines production.

Perhaps drops of colour - sponge or brush touches all then one swipe lays down the striped effect

20 hours ago, Bentley said:

The squared shape makes me think a paintbrush rather than a finger, but I agree. I think it's only 3 or 4 steps, not 8.  Brush teal, brush white, a bit more thorough with the purple ... mold in dark

The lower left one especially looks like a paintbrush.  I think it's not that many layers, just streaks showing through.

5a7f80aca1dcc_ScreenShot2018-02-10at3_27_24PM.png.b11153b18b874a66d01d15e892f68466.png

• Like 1

You can get that distinct line by putting more pressure on the inside of your finger than the outside

We also know that Susanna is not opposed to tedious designs that take multiple passes - just reference her New York,  NY bonbon from earlier in this thread where she did one brushstroke each of six or so colors.    

• Like 1

Here's another one that I am curious about.  I am not even exactly sure about what is going on here.  are there two separate red pieces separated by that black ring or is that black ring just wrapped around the shell?

5 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Here's another one that I am curious about.  I am not even exactly sure about what is going on here.  are there two separate red pieces separated by that black ring or is that black ring just wrapped around the shell?

Looking at some of the other things he's done in the same mold - I wonder if he lays the ring in the mold then does his decoration.

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By eglies
      Hi there,
      I have found a Danish company who produce 100% natural oil based coloring in liquid form that can be mixed with cocoa butter. I received samples and will test. No E in all colors. 
      They require large quantities in kg to be purchased and the specs say 270 days shelf life once opened. 
      It is so important to get clean labels nowadays why haven’t other companies in europe come up with solutions for small quantities for small businesses?
      I will try it out if I have good results, is anyone interested to share thes quantities with me? Preferably in Europe as shipping would be impossible to the USA. 
      If anyone has another supplier to suggest please let me know. Chef rubber doesn’t supply europe yet and Roxy and Rich are powders not sure what I think of them yet. But none are 100% natural like the company in Denmark. 

• By crisw
      I am trying to work on making some chocolates for my diabetic sister. As the sweetener, I used Swerve, an erythritol-based sweetener that supposedly behaves like sugar (and that my sister likes.) I added it to my standard milk chocolate recipe from Chocolate Alchemy- http://chocolatealchemy.com/recipes/dark-milk-chocolate-45 It came out of the melanger fine and set up OK. But, when I went to temper it, it would not melt! Even after an hour at 140F, it was about the consistency of peanut butter. 

Has anyone worked with Swerve and have any successful recipes? Or have any idea why it was so viscous?  The stuff is darned expensive, so I don't want to experiment too much. 
    • By eglies
      Hi,

I am looking for a seriously quiet compressor which works well for daily bonbon airbrushing. Can someone recommend something that is quiet and oil free?

Thank you

• By Darienne
      Well, I guess I am more curious than embarrassed.  Although I use fairly good quality chocolate to make dipped citrus peels, bonbons and so on, I also use a lot of less than good quality chocolate to make toppings on pies and cakes, particularly for friends and neighbors who think that Merkens is delicious.  Well, that's unkind, but you know what I mean.  In Canada, we have a chocolate called 'World's Finest' and it is truly awful.  Oh well.

So here is the situation.  I have purchased from Canadian Wal-Mart for a good number of years now a bar, Waterbridge Imported Belgian, 400 grams, in Milk, Dark and Extra Dark varieties.  And my topping is invariably 4 oz of chocolate and 1/2 cup of half and half or whipping cream.  And it always sets just fine.   Perfect. 

About 3 months ago, I made a Milk chocolate topping for a friend who loves milk chocolate.  It didn't set.  It was soup.  OK.  But the Dark and Extra Dark still worked fine.  Two days ago, both of those were soup.  

I wrote to Wal-Mart noting the change, and also that the ever-present gold cardboard is now missing from the bars.  They apologized profusely and offered me my money back.  (In the meantime, I figured out that 1/4 cup of cream would work perfectly.)  

The ingredients are: for the Extra Dark: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa powder, soy lecithin and the Dark: cocoa mass, sugar, cocoa butter and soya lecithin. 

What do you suppose they did to the mix to make it so different?
    • By BVWells
      I've seen so much beautiful molded chocolate work here I decided to come to the experts. I'm still trying to get consistent shine on my molded chocolates (not using colored cocoa butter yet). I typically get a few really good ones, most have some spots with really good shine and some ok shine, and then maybe I have 1 dud (air bubble or some kind of blemish). I'm just wondering, what would you all say are the top 3 tips to getting that consistent super shine?