Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kevnick80

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

(I can't quite figure out what it is--looks like part of a ballpoint pen) to allow it to do splattering.

 Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

If that's the case, we definitely have to get @Kerry Beal to get us a supply!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Anna N said:

 Think it might be a hypodermic syringe.

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

 

 


Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bentley said:

It is a cut-down barrel from a ballpoint pen.  The original video is from the instagram of Salvatore Martone - pastry chef at Joel Robuchon in las Vegas. 

Thanks. So it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel as if I just took a course in chocolate making. Now I want samples!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, demiglace said:

I feel as if I just took a course in chocolate making. Now I want samples!

All it requires is a trip to a slightly expensive restaurant in Las Vegas or, in the case of the some of the techniques I recognized, to Savour school in Australia!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a great video - thanks for posting. A few notes that I took. First, rapping the tray with a wooden rolling pin. Brilliant since I have so many marrings from rapping my drywall spat. Second, Piping the backing on. Not sure if I have the patience, but very smart and I'm sure this is more common than I know. The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off! Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to need to try that dripping from the bottle, blowing with the empty airbrush to splatter - I'd have to have a new piece of parchment under for each colour in order to reclaim the cocoa butter. That much waste would drive me nuts. Makes me appreciate my Fuji which lets me splatter directly by just turning down the airflow.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Lastly, the snipped ballpoint pen - I'm going to give that a try on my crescendo on my next round. I do hate seeing all the cocoa butter waste, but I'm sure these were all larger operations.

I plan to give that a try as well. If you do, it would be great to have photos or a description of what you did. The video moves so fast that it is difficult to decipher exactly how it was done. If I seem a little obsessed about achieving splatter, it's because I am. When I bought the Grex airbrush, I was told it could do splatter and indeed saw successful samples, but it turns out that works only for paint, not cocoa butter. I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me. The spraying of cocoa butter dripped from a bottle is very erratic in its success, though I suppose, like everything else, one gets better with practice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

The technique at 11:45 is so simple yet so stunning. I will totally rip that off!


It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

First, rapping the tray with a wooden rolling pin. Brilliant since I have so many marrings from rapping my drywall spat.

 

Even when using the handle, not the blade?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jim D. said:

I was planning to get a Fuji until I saw it in action in Las Vegas--it's just overkill for me.

I was an early adopter and finally sold it for that very reason. I found it much more useful for velvet effect-ing my entremets than my chocolates.

3 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:

It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

Even when using the handle, not the blade?

I use both. I know its bad, but depends on my control for the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jim D. said:

All it requires is a trip to a slightly expensive restaurant in Las Vegas or, in the case of the some of the techniques I recognized, to Savour school in Australia!

 

Well if that's all...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:


It is nice... but they didn't actually show us how they did it and I'm apparently not smart enough to figure it out just by seeing the result.

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

 

http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons


Edited by Bentley (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons

 

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, gfron1 said:

 

Very simple - brushed color, 1/6 turn, brushed color, 1/6 turn...on and on using just the right colors to create the iridescence.


Makes sense. It didn't look that simple in the pictures, it looked like some colors were slashing through parts of other colors causing almost a semi-latticed look in small areas. Glad to hear it's something simple after all.
 

12 hours ago, Bentley said:

Rob has it right....but here is a video of Susanna Yoon at Stick With Me Sweets in NYC making these Bon Bons from start to finish...the painting is at about 0:46.  

 

http://www.instyle.com/videos/stick-with-me-sweets-how-to-make-bonbons

 


Thanks for that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gfron1 said:

This answered my question of whether they sprayed a white or black coating after the colored brush strokes - no, they just pour the shell and still kept those colors.

Titanium in the colour ftw :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this one today. While I can see a slow way to do this I'm hoping someone can describe the faster time efficient method.Screenshot_20180209-172049.thumb.png.9be8356b74b09f33d6dddee72d1453ba.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bentley said:

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

That would be at least 8 swipes from what I see. times 30 cavities x number of trays for an operation as large as them....hmmm...maybe. The distinct lines also make me question whether that's how its done. I can totally see that working, but that would make more sense in a competition where you have a smaller volume that Valentines production.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps drops of colour - sponge or brush touches all then one swipe lays down the striped effect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Bentley said:

That looks to me to just be overlapping  finger swipes .  Finger swipe one color, let it crystalize, then swipe the next color, etc.  

 

The squared shape makes me think a paintbrush rather than a finger, but I agree. I think it's only 3 or 4 steps, not 8.  Brush teal, brush white, a bit more thorough with the purple ... mold in dark

The lower left one especially looks like a paintbrush.  I think it's not that many layers, just streaks showing through.

5a7f80aca1dcc_ScreenShot2018-02-10at3_27_24PM.png.b11153b18b874a66d01d15e892f68466.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get that distinct line by putting more pressure on the inside of your finger than the outside

 

We also know that Susanna is not opposed to tedious designs that take multiple passes - just reference her New York,  NY bonbon from earlier in this thread where she did one brushstroke each of six or so colors.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another one that I am curious about.  I am not even exactly sure about what is going on here.  are there two separate red pieces separated by that black ring or is that black ring just wrapped around the shell?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bentley said:

Here's another one that I am curious about.  I am not even exactly sure about what is going on here.  are there two separate red pieces separated by that black ring or is that black ring just wrapped around the shell?

 

 

Looking at some of the other things he's done in the same mold - I wonder if he lays the ring in the mold then does his decoration.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Similar Content

    • By artiesel
      I have Volumes 1 ,2 and 4 of Jean-Pierre Wybauw's Great Chocolate books are for sale.
       
      The books are in great shape!  There is some tape on the corner of the front of volume 1 that I used to keep it together after a drop.  Volume 1 is also autographed by the author (See pics below).
       
      I'm asking $150 for the lot OBO.
       
      Let me know if interested or if you have questions
       
       
       



    • By Ly Qw
      Has anyone successfully made this at home before? The recipe from their cookbook isn't descriptive enough and I've had moderate success with it but the sabayon texture just looks much more aerated in the ambroisie version
    • By ChrisZ
      Hoping for some help.  I accidentally melted an old mould that is very important to us and I've had no luck searching around for a replacement.  
      If anyone knows where I could buy one - or even has one to spare they would be willing to sell - please send me a message.
      The mould (label attached below) was originally labelled as "Easy as ABC gelatin mould", although we just call it the alphabet mould.  Yes there are lots of alphabet moulds around, including new silicone ones, but we need the specific designs on this one to replace the one I damaged.  Depending on the cost, I would consider paying for postage internationally (to Australia).
      Thanks in advance!

    • By Miriam G
      Hello everyone,
      I am in the process of locating a commercial kitchen space to rent in order to produce my chocolates on a larger scale, for retail and wholesale.  The challenge is that I have not been able to locate a space that has air conditioning or any kind of temperature control.  Even if everything else in the facility is perfect, that's the one issue that keeps coming up.
       
      Can anyone provide guidance regarding the feasibility of working in a non temperature controlled space, and if there are any work arounds?  I'd have full access to fridges, freezers, etc...
       
      Thanks in advance for any help or experiences you can share!
      Miriam
    • By artiesel
      Has anyone ever worked with or made buttercream candies? 
       
      As far as I can tell they appear to be simply fondant sugar with the addition of butter.  
       
      Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks
  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×