• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

9 hours ago, DeanTheBaker said:

Hi there,  I'm Dean.

i'm a newbie when it comes to chocolate making.

what i want to know is not particularly about design

but how to get bonbons as shiny as those in the picture..
I've seen a lot of bonbons from other chocolatiers,

but i'm always amazed how Andrey's are THAT shiny.

I know that polishing molds with cotton balls would help.. but that's about it.

Do i have to spray the surface with cocoa butter first or something?

Thanks guys. :)

PS. Here is a clip i stumbled across for the marbled effect similar to Monde Du Chocolat's bonbons.

Hope it helps! https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ6ONCgl5gW

So shiny it hurts my eyes.JPG

I think some of it has to do with how he lights his photographs, as well. He tends to top-light with a large light source like the sky (a lot of his images are taken outside or under huge skylights like this) and shoot almost straight down. That gives a huge reflection but flatter light that isn’t going to “catch” in any flaws like release marks, dust specks, etc. This is not to downplay his technique at all, which appears impeccable. Just, lighting and angles matter. 

Here are two images of a recent project. 

Top lit—extra shiny with a huge reflection of the sky, flaws really get hidden

1598229A-28D5-41FD-9C79-78C6D3D70BE1.thumb.jpeg.8c551c862d7e9979ac57b847530fc805.jpeg

Still top-lit but taken more straight-on—still shiny but you lose some of that huge reflection from the sky. 

5CA663F6-FCB0-4367-A3A7-444A76003459.thumb.jpeg.20ed3c044526a09d4de1f7ab0f50d655.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

I think some of it has to do with how he lights his photographs, as well. He tends to top-light with a large light source like the sky (a lot of his images are taken outside or under huge skylights like this) and shoot almost straight down. That gives a huge reflection but flatter light that isn’t going to “catch” in any flaws like release marks, dust specks, etc. This is not to downplay his technique at all, which appears impeccable. Just, lighting and angles matter. 

Yes, Dubovik emphasizes proper lighting and attention to the photography. He recommends using sunlight. He has a detailed section in the online course on photographing chocolates. I know all this from some experience since he commented on my first submitted photo for not showing how shiny the bonbon was. I had taken the photo from the side, not from above, and because it was a gloomy, dark day, had taken it with indoor lighting. Otherwise there is nothing unusual he does to get the shine--just perfect technique!  xD

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pastrypastmidnight said:

F256BD57-98F7-4D63-8817-5C157022CA00.thumb.jpeg.61a82e79ab0f7e8f757f5f1da8b19fd0.jpeg

I’m intrigued by the mention of a liquid fudge. Is that something you could achieve with invertase? I’ve not used it yet and im

a little fuzzy on the science. This is something I haven’t see before and I found it interesting to think about. 

Good question - I suppose that chocolate syrup could be considered liquid fudge - but it would be worth trying some fudge and adding invertase when it cools sufficiently.

• 4 weeks later...

With all the tools and tricks we try, it's sort of refreshing to see this low-tech technique: 

but damn, that uses a lot of CB!  I can't help but wonder if that layer of black CB is all that delicious in the mouth.

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

A thin layer of colored cocoa butter sprayed on a bonbon is one thing, but this seems a bit much. Is it possible it's something else?

It's possible it's something else, but it looks SO much more liquid than couverture. 

I don't see how that's anything other than cocoa butter, but I also don't see why you wouldn't spray it, that thick layer would be pretty unpleasant on the palate imho, and spraying would produce exactly the same result.

Unless that's gold leaf in there which might get blown out by spraying, perhaps.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2018 at 10:54 PM, gfron1 said:

There's a few of us taking a class with him right now. Get temps perfect including your room; he doesn't polish although occasionally he cleans with alcohol - he does NOT polish with cocoa butter. And he does a lot with opaque colors.

Out of interest, what does he regard as perfect temps? Is fridge temp included in that?

What I've heard this is how he treats the cocoa butter;

He heats the cocoa butter to 50 degrees, cool it down with movements to 26-27 degrees and then heat ut up to 30 degrees with a heat gun. Then spray the molds.

29 minutes ago, understandingcocoa said:

Out of interest, what does he regard as perfect temps? Is fridge temp included in that?

He likes his room temp 18-20º, and I can tell you that my room is 20º and I've run into troubles with one of the designs and he wants me to lower the temp even more. And Rajala, for someone who seemed very resistant to this workshop as we were all planning it you sure seem to be paying attention. I would hope that if you find the information useful, you and others will consider supporting Andrey by taking a future workshop, as this knowledge is being shared with the understanding that he's trying to make a living by teaching it.

25 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

He likes his room temp 18-20º, and I can tell you that my room is 20º and I've run into troubles with one of the designs and he wants me to lower the temp even more. And Rajala, for someone who seemed very resistant to this workshop as we were all planning it you sure seem to be paying attention. I would hope that if you find the information useful, you and others will consider supporting Andrey by taking a future workshop, as this knowledge is being shared with the understanding that he's trying to make a living by teaching it.

Yeah, that's why I've been trying to just follow along and not ask questions. I'm not at all sure there will ever be a point when I would take the course. There are some individual lessons I'd be tempted to purchase if he ever decided to make that format available at some point in the future but the class as a whole, I'm less sure about. Not because I think it's too pricey or I wouldn't benefit greatly from it. I just know myself well enough to know that left to my own devices in the online format, I would very possibly find myself doing lessons that interested me and putting off others. Not proud to admit that but no point lying about it either. :D

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I just know myself well enough to know that left to my own devices in the online format, I would very possibly find myself doing lessons that interested me and putting off others. Not proud to admit that but no point lying about it either. :D

Oh I'm totally the same way, would start out all enthusiastic but then get lazy and skip some.

• Like 2

On 7/6/2018 at 8:36 PM, gfron1 said:

You're all good advertising I think, I've been looking for online courses for quite a while and hadn't seen Andrey's at all, it's just taken a few attempts to even find it on Google searching directly!

Slightly off the current discussion but i recently took  class with Kirsten Tibbals, super exciting for me was taping moulds- Personally i don't think it is cost effective but it was fantastic to have ago because i probably wouldn't have otherwise. She had a special tape that she had brought with her from Australia, it was so similar to Washi tape, so i bought and experimented with a few. It works and works so well plus its inexpensive and you can get it in a variety of thickness. If anyone is UK based paperchase sell rolls ranging from 5mm! I couldn't not share, sad that I'm so excited about tape i know lol

• Like 3

On 5/4/2017 at 11:25 PM, Bentley said:

A member recently posted a picture of a chocolate from Instagram and asked for tips on how to achieve the same look.  I know I've made one or two similar posts before.  

It inspired me to create this thread.  I always find beautiful chocolates on the web and wonder "how did they do that?"  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  The idea is that you can post a picture of a chocolate bonbon (with proper credit/citation in accordance with forum rules) and members can chime in with their ideas on how to recreate the look. I think it would be educational and a great way to get some inspiration to try some new techniques and ideas.  

I'll start - I've always been fascinated by this chocolatier's work.  It's from Amanda Wright at A519 Chocolates:  

Link

How would you go about doing this one to achieve those white lines and the beautiful variations in tone in the red?

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 4.22.32 PM.png

I am taking an online course with Kirsten Tibbals of savour school and she has done something similar  to this  by piping the flowers with white chocolate and then spraying the red.  That could be the same thing. 

Screenshot_2018-07-13-23-14-03-930.jpeg

Edited by Jamal12
Adding pic (log)

On 2/13/2018 at 1:55 AM, gfron1 said:

Tried out a couple of these recent techniques. Just quick goes while my cb was warmed up. I dipped a pastry tip in tempered chocolate for the rings. I'm more confident than before that with the right tip I could replicate exactly.

IMG_20180212_164126.thumb.jpg.b98ba22c2577709d2b3e715877e636c6.jpgIMG_20180212_164120.thumb.jpg.5b21db1e3ab50c4baef5582dfb4d96a2.jpgIMG_20180212_161944.thumb.jpg.532034bf29d79ca3d287e5a697351765.jpg

Then here's the multiple finger swirls. Less success. Also tried out the thin painters tape. Good but not good enough for me to use. I saw a video where the chef had a clear acetate looking tape. Not sure what that was.

IMG_20180212_101546.jpg

IMG_20180212_164136.jpg

for the tape try using painters tape and cutting it to size. then spray over it. 

On 2/14/2018 at 8:48 AM, dhardy123 said:

Yep you were right! (ignore the 5 small dots. They were from a light)

Thanks

cinnamon_red_dots.JPG.png

You can use a dotting tool.  What a nail artists or many ladies use for nail art or I picked this up in my local cake and chocolate stockist

15315101487521057742441.jpg

Edited by Jamal12
Add pic (log)

• 3 weeks later...

New techniques are exploding right now! Most seem to be coming from ChocolateLab, Dubovic or Vincent. Thoughts on this one from ChocolateLab that says - not sponged, not brushed, no air brush, and they say it can be done easily in a full production kitchen.

118820765_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_56_53AM.png.0ece397d1a905d1c0f971f239220ac5a.png

812420507_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_57_16AM.png.9a6714ffb9af6832bfd64937681fa2e7.png

216583850_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_57_35AM.png.f481326bf86cb4b450c3485236cfd08e.png

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

New techniques are exploding right now! Most seem to be coming from ChocolateLab, Dubovic or Vincent. Thoughts on this one from ChocolateLab that says - not sponged, not brushed, no air brush, and they say it can be done easily in a full production kitchen.

118820765_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_56_53AM.png.0ece397d1a905d1c0f971f239220ac5a.png

812420507_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_57_16AM.png.9a6714ffb9af6832bfd64937681fa2e7.png

216583850_ScreenShot2018-07-30at9_57_35AM.png.f481326bf86cb4b450c3485236cfd08e.png

My brain has been obsessing over this since they posted the pic! I'm wondering if the did tiny drops of different colors and then let them flow into a marbled pattern. The look is mesmerizing!

2 hours ago, gfron1 said:

2 hours ago, Sweet Impact Mama said:

My brain has been obsessing over this since they posted the pic! I'm wondering if the did tiny drops of different colors and then let them flow into a marbled pattern. The look is mesmerizing!

He's being such a tease!  What's even left?  It doesn't look drippy or flowing to me, my first thought was a sponge.  How about wadded up cloth or paper towel?

1 minute ago, pastrygirl said:

He's being such a tease!  What's even left?  It doesn't look drippy or flowing to me, my first thought was a sponge.  How about wadded up cloth or paper towel?

I thought wadded up saran wrap but he said he didn't sponge it which I would think would be the same thing.

• Like 1