• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

kriz6912

Confections! What did we make? (2017 – )

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ChocoMom said:

Haven't had much time (or money) to rebuild the chocolate mold collection. But, I did manage a few items for orders this week.  The swirly ones are Bailey's. The other two are dark chocolate-sea salt caramel, and MC sea salt caramel.  I've got 2 of the grandkids here now 'helping Grammie" - mainly conducting taste testing and eliminating all evidence of rejects.:P

IMG_1495.JPG

What previous molds will you replace, and which new ones do you hope to add?

16 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

What previous molds will you replace, and which new ones do you hope to add?

There were so many, I don't know where to start!  (I had over 400 at the time of the fire.)   The three-dimensional bunnies, eggs, lambs, snowmen, high-heeled shoes. are near the tops of the list.  Then there were the lips, and several different heart-shaped bon-bon molds. I think those came from NY Cake or BakeDeco/Kerekes.- or both.   I know there was a Choco-flex, and a 3pc magnetic polycarbonate for shells, and the magnetic molds for use with transfer sheets. Not sure I want to replace that 3 pc for shells. That was a bit of pain to use.   There were somewhere around 150 of the less expensive poly molds that I had accumulated when I lived the Baker's Nook---not going to replace all those except for a select few. The lambs and the fish on lollipop sticks were favorites. 

Its so hard to go back and think through everything that was lost, after accumulating them over 20+ years.  Its working out okay for now, since I'm not in full swing. I will dos likely add more dome molds, since those seems to be popular with folks. 

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

@ChocoMom I have a ton of molds that I just don't use anymore if you're interested I'd be more than happy to give them away to someone who would use them. I have the cheap $2 molds and a bunch of polycarbonate molds - the majority of them are probably 3-10 years old. I don't do half what I used to and I'm running out of room. If you're interested let me know and I can figure out a way to mail them to you. I have a few lollipop molds but alot of flowers, seashells, bonbon types, some magnetic molds, Christmas and Easter, etc.

Ruth

3 people like this

• Similar Content

• By minas6907
      Host's note: this is a continuation of the ever-popular Confections! topic; the previous segment is here: Confections! What did we make? (2012 – 2014)

Here's something I did yesterday, peanut butter chocolate bars.
    • By Lam
      I have been experiementing with macarons these last few months, and I have yet to make perfect macarons. Most of the macarons I have made are hollow on the inside. They're so hollow, if I nudge them a bit, the top crust just comes right off. They still taste decent but not what a successful macaron should be like. I don't think I am overbeating my meringue at all. They are always firm and stiff. I have tried whipping a little less than I usually do but still get hollows. I did some research and saw a few people recommend adding a bit of cornstarch to the dry mix. Yep. Cornstarch.  This really perplexed me because I always see people saying not to use powdered sugar that contains cornstarch, so how could adding cornstarch prevent hollow macs? I also saw one person use tapioca starch to prevent hollows as well. This time around, I whipped the meringue at a much longer time, but no higher than speed 7 (kitchenaid), which gave me a super stable meringue. I also added cornstarch. I piped the batter out, and they looked super perfect the first few minutes in the oven. Sadly, they came out very wrinkled. The first batch was super wrinkled, but the second batch was less wrinkled, or bumpy even. Not sure if this is because of the silpat for the first batch and the parchment pper for the second hmm. Does anyone know what I did wrong to get these wrinkled macs and how to troubleshoot? Also some help on hollow macs would be appreciated! Thanks

• By ChristysConfections
      Hi All,

I am having a caramel problem. I have access to some delicious water buffalo milk (28% fat). I attempted to use it as a replacement for heavy cream(36% fat) in my usual caramel recipe. Unfortunately, when I added the hot milk to the hot sugar, the mixture split into an ugly, grainy mess. I did manage to improve it by blending it with an immersion blender, but the final texture was still grainy. The flavour was great though! 

The method I used was to make a dry caramel with white can sugar, then I added  a small amount of glucose and the buffalo milk that I had heated to a simmer. I cooked this to 252 and added butter before pouring into a pan to cool.

Does anyone understand the science better who could recommend a different method or adjustment to the ingredients that might make it have a smooth texture as caramel should? My supplier for buffalo milk does not have a separator, so using buffalo cream at this time is not an option. I thought about adding butter to the buffalo milk when heating it to bring the fat content up to that of the regular cream, and/or using an emulsifier or something like lechithin or xantham gum. Any thoughts?

It seems I am constantly coming to you for help. Thanks, as always.
    • By Jim D.
      Host's note: this topic was split from Pâte de Fruits (Fruit Paste/Fruit Jellies) (Part 2)

I took a look. Rather manipulative site: you have no idea what your selection will cost until you have finished choosing chocolates. And the descriptions are a masterpiece of marketing:  dulce de leche is "succulent homemade milk jam"--a rather grand description of cooked sweetened condensed milk. Really! But you are so right, they look amazing.
    • By jedovaty
      Good morning!

Long story short: I am doing a spin off the coconut/chocolate/almond candy (almond joy), and trying to create a specific shape out of the almond.  My hands are cramped after a couple dozen failed attempts whittling roasted almonds, so now I'd like to try a different approach, and instead, create some kind of sub-candy or cookie with roasted almonds that I can put into a mold or use a mini cookie cutter.  I'm fairly new to sweets, my knowledge in this area is pretty slim.  Some ideas so far, I don't like any, but it might help turn some gears:
      1. dusting almond over a stencil, but that's not enough almond nor crunchy enough
      2. almond brittle, but that's too hard and sweet, I'd like it more of a soft crunch, and bringing the almond flavor forward
      3. meringue with almonds (sort of macaron-ish), however, weather has been humid and raining here, and I'm ending up with a gooey mess instead of that soft crunch

In addition to having almond-forward taste and soft crunch texture, it'd be fun to explore something modernish - I have a accumulated a few tools and ingredients not customarily found in homes.

There are dietary considerations I will have to account for, however, no need to worry about that now, I am just looking for ideas and a place to take it from there

Thank you for your time in reading!