• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 3)

FrogPrincesse

In the freezer is a leg of lamb which was sous vided without spices.

I'm wondering about how to add flavouring to this meat. Can I give it a spice rub when defrosted? Or marinate it?

Or am I limited to making a good sauce?

1 hour ago, TdeV said:

In the freezer is a leg of lamb which was sous vided without spices.

I'm wondering about how to add flavouring to this meat. Can I give it a spice rub when defrosted? Or marinate it?

Or am I limited to making a good sauce?

Maybe not the most conventional path, but I chopped some up  and combined it with Dianne Kennedy's chili colorado sauce and made nacho's for the kids. Enchilada's would work. I lean toward saucing it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

My first attempt at SV'ing an elk roast (4lbs)  135 for 9 hours with onion, butter, rosemary, and salt.  Will dry and sear when shes done with her bath. 

20240525_072318.thumb.jpg.718cac8a8cb3ce6c9595a0c70a495576.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

13 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@YvetteMT

Congratulations .

interested in seeing how it turns out.

Elk is about a zillion times more interesting than beef.

Thanks.  Trick will be getting partner to agree it's cooked!  He's not a fan of "bloody" meat and this will be his first SV meal (I've made myself numerous steaks to get the hang of it- while he was away). I'll probably have to do a pretty heavy sear for his sake but I'm hopeful it'll be tender enough to win him over!

I typically braise elk roasts, especially the ones from older critters, things like barbacoa etc.  One way or another, this'll be dinner tonight!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@YvetteMT

please consider a series of picture of your work.

thank you.

BTW  Im assuming the Elk is ' personal harvest '

vs commercial harvest of private herds.

this might make a big difference with what ones works with .

your thoughts on ' commercial harvest ?'

have you tried any of that ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@YvetteMT

please consider a series of picture of your work.

thank you.

BTW  Im assuming the Elk is ' personal harvest '

vs commercial harvest of private herds.

this might make a big difference with what ones works with .

your thoughts on ' commercial harvest ?'

have you tried any of that ?

Correct, personal harvest (this one being an archery taken adult cow from block management- privately owned land that owners allow hunters on). I've not had commercially raised elk or venison of any sort.   My assumption is that with feed (be that hay or grain) those animals would of course have more fat to them and not having to forage traditionally, that would add to tenderness. I've been to farms that raise cervids (I work in agriculture) and while they aren't cattle feedlots, they are supplemented with feed of some sort. 

With that said the older personal harvest animals certainly lend to braising,sausage making,  and sous vide.

This is a steak from an elk cow past voting age, sv for 2ish hours at 130ish and then seared.(ish because my notes are downstairs). Still edible and probably could have benefited for a longer soak.

20240106_132423.thumb.jpg.3aa589b8cf20de12fced4e630a1d8a3e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@YvetteMT

that steak is talking to me .

that's just the way I like it

and indeed , for red meat , I prefer 130 F , to the point of tenderness but not to the point of mushiness .

the Elk Ive had in CO restaurant ( one in Steamboat Springs )  was lean , not fatty at all , very tender

and delicious .  no sense of ' fatty fullness ' one might get , and enjoy , from Prime feed lot beef, aged.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, YvetteMT said:

I've been to farms that raise cervids (I work in agriculture) and while they aren't cattle feedlots, they are supplemented with feed of some sort. 

I order farm raised elk from Costco online.  I believe it's Canadian by origin.   The meat is indeed tender and much easier to get good results from braising/SV.   The wild harvest ones around here are athletes and, yeah, it takes some special time and handling to get good results from the meat.   We go years between even getting drawn for an elk ticket.  I prefer the antlerless over the antlered by a lot for eating.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I prefer the antlerless over the antlered by a lot for eating.

@lemniscate Amen!  

Dinner plans diverted.   Anyone have tips for reheating the Elk roast?  Went the full time in the bath, hasn't been seared or cut yet. 

(Had to go to town and ended up having a very late lunch and neither of us want dinner now)

After yesterday's delay,  a warm up bath for 2 hours at 131 (thanks again @rotuts )

Post sear-

20240526_180526.thumb.jpg.34a5c2f615322ea04ebf76ef0852df1e.jpg

And slice-

20240526_180926.thumb.jpg.e061eee7cb7ff1f793157dd5c3e6216f.jpg

Plated on the dinner thread.

(Fwiw, partner found it a bit gamey and while good, not my best.  I disagreed.  Quite tender, not mushy.  Could have salted much heavier for the soak. I'll need to do a more intense flavoring next time)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@YvetteMT

\

]should there be any left

sliced thin 

make a mighty fine Elk sandwich .

nothing wrong w saving some of the salting for after cooking

as you can't remove salt after the fact.

if you have them , try adding some crushed mustard seed 

on the surface while you SV

Indian store have bags of the stuff.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Re salting during SV.  Salt penetrates from a rub at about a cm /day. So in a SV bag with liquid from the meat it is probably much less...maybe just the first few mm

I usually salt prior to SV, but then after carving as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...