• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

Something decided that the raspberry bushes looked like a great snack option- my first thought was one of the moose (we have an adult cow that calves every 2 years and her 2 year old that pass thru regularly). Elk (resident herd that frequents our place) and mule deer are also options.  The petunias planted at the top of the driveway(literally outside the front door) were stripped of their flowers, again, too. (That's most likely the deer).

20240822_064721.thumb.jpg.fe8e9b789196d7e2cff922ecb009876f.jpg

• Sad 1

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.

26 minutes ago, YvetteMT said:

Something decided that the raspberry bushes looked like a great snack option- my first thought was one of the moose (we have an adult cow that calves every 2 years and her 2 year old that pass thru regularly). Elk (resident herd that frequents our place) and mule deer are also options.  The petunias planted at the top of the driveway(literally outside the front door) were stripped of their flowers, again, too. (That's most likely the deer).

20240822_064721.thumb.jpg.fe8e9b789196d7e2cff922ecb009876f.jpg

Great spot for a trail cam.   

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

Great spot for a trail cam.   

We have a number of cameras, none pointed at the raspberries tho. (the nearest being 60 feet up the fence to the right. but its pointed across/up the hill). The driveway camera will show the petunia culprits tho. One night last year partner woke me at 2am "Theres a moose eating the strawberries!"  (I love moose, seriously LOVE them).  I stumbled to the dining room to peer out the window and there was a mule deer buck...  He swore up and down there was a moose while I swore that if he woke me up again, there'd be hell to pay. I went back to bed with him following me saying that he knew the difference and damn it, there was a moose. He zinged open the bedroom blinds (that face the hill with the camera) and there was the moose. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hunter, fisherwoman, gardener and cook in Montana.