Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)


scubadoo97

Recommended Posts

Hefty grilled vegetables sandwich for lunch (eggplant, peppers, mushrooms, onions, feta, tahini, thyme, sumac, cumin, pepper). Buns were brushed with a little oil and baked until crisp from outside.

 

20170201_195834.jpg20170201_203025.jpg

  • Like 7

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg

 

 More of the sausage soup that I had for dinner last night and posted in the freezer challenge thread. This time without the spinach. The stock is way too salty. Duh! It was left over from making Dunlop's salt water duck recipe. 

  • Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The onion soup I made yesterday with pumpernickel bread croutons.  I am NOT a fan of the tons of cheese most restaurants top the soup with and NOT a fan of gloppy bread so I prefer croutons on top.

This one came out really well...I like the background tarragon and thyme flavor.

 

Guess I have to make some Green Goddess dressing before the tarragon goes south.

  • Like 4

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

The onion soup I made yesterday with pumpernickel bread croutons.  I am NOT a fan of the tons of cheese most restaurants top the soup with and NOT a fan of gloppy bread so I prefer croutons on top.

This one came out really well...I like the background tarragon and thyme flavor.

 

Guess I have to make some Green Goddess dressing before the tarragon goes south.

 

With you there. I love French Onion Soup after I scrape away and bin the horrible half melted cheese and "gloopy bread".

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

 

With you there. I love French Onion Soup after I scrape away and bin the horrible half melted cheese and "gloopy bread".

So happy there are no laws about such things!   French onion soup without a gloopy crouton and lots and lots of crusty cheese that I can peel off the bowl with my fingers is not worth eating.  

  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

So happy there are no laws about such things!   French onion soup without a gloopy crouton and lots and lots of crusty cheese that I can peel off the bowl with my fingers is not worth eating.  

Sorry Anna.....I find the cheese tends to be too much for me and I sometimes tend to have a problem with bring able to eat it.  I find that I like crispy things like croutons or crackers rather than soaked bread...another reason I don't care for panzanella or traditional gazpacho.  Just me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Sorry Anna.....I find the cheese tends to be too much for me and I sometimes tend to have a problem with bring able to eat it.  I find that I like crispy things like croutons or crackers rather than soaked bread...another reason I don't care for panzanella or traditional gazpacho.  Just me.

 And so once again we get to celebrate our differences.   We are both worthy.:)

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Super sweet roasted sweet-potatoes (no added sugar, rather a long soak in 155dF water), with tahini paste (raw, no lemon/water/garlic).
Black beans with coconut milk, grated coconut and a little mint.

20170203_132744.jpg

  • Like 9

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@shain

 I was able to more or less avert my eyes from those black beans but I'm curious about your method and reasoning for soaking sweet potatoes.

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Trader Joe's Bacon Cheddar Cheese on home-made rosemary soughdough bread which was a gift from @Smithy.

 

Grilled Cheese.jpg

Awwww!!!  You got to see Smithy??!!  Nice!  Good looking sandwich :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Protein-rich weekend. (Fat-rich as well). Scrambled eggs with roe. More roe than eggs...

Xw6EyPL.jpg

 

Egss in 3 different ways.

BQSqxhz.jpg

 

More protein (and fat).

 

lsnP8J1.jpg

 

I like both the beach and the hills, when there's nobody around and it's not so hot. (The meat around the bones became dinner).

c4qySDM.jpg

 

And before all this: one, two, three, four.

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

@shain

 I was able to more or less avert my eyes from those black beans but I'm curious about your method and reasoning for soaking sweet potatoes.

 

At the range of about 150-158 dF, the enzymes in the sweet potato gets active and break starch into sugar. They are destroyed slightly above this range. So for maximum sweetness, one should keep the tuber in this temprature range for about an hour. Lacking a circulator, I bring a pot of water to 158 degrees, add the sweet potatoes, cover and let it sit (heat off, as to not pass 158). Then just roast it with tiny bit of butter at 430f. 

The finishing with tahini adds a lovely nuttiness and a little sticky-fatty mouth feel. 

 

  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, shain said:

 

At the range of about 150-158 dF, the enzymes in the sweet potato gets active and break starch into sugar. They are destroyed slightly above this range. So for maximum sweetness, one should keep the tuber in this temprature range for about an hour. Lacking a circulator, I bring a pot of water to 158 degrees, add the sweet potatoes, cover and let it sit (heat off, as to not pass 158). Then just roast it with tiny bit of butter at 430f. 

The finishing with tahini adds a lovely nuttiness and a little sticky-fatty mouth feel. 

 

Thank you.  I do have a circulator so this would be a piece of cake (potato?) for me to try.   I am actually relatively new to sweet potatoes meaning that I did not grow up with them so I'm not entirely convinced I want them any sweeter than they already are. I shall put it under advisement. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thank you.  I do have a circulator so this would be a piece of cake (potato?) for me to try.   I am actually relatively new to sweet potatoes meaning that I did not grow up with them so I'm not entirely convinced I want them any sweeter than they already are. I shall put it under advisement. 

 

I find the the roasting caramelizes the sugars, and reduces (or maybe counters) some of the sweetness, and adds a lot of flavor that won't be there otherwise (indicated by the black ring of caramel that you can see in my photo). I would skip this method if they are not roasted.

~ Shai N.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, shain said:

 

I find the the roasting caramelizes the sugars, and reduces (or maybe counters) some of the sweetness, and adds a lot of flavor that won't be there otherwise (indicated by the black ring of caramel that you can see in my photo). I would skip this method if they are not roasted.

I roast them quite simply. I prick them three or four times  then onto a parchment lined baking sheet and into the oven at around 400°F.  I then usually scrape out the flesh, add a little butter, salt and pepper and that's it.  I might do three or four at a time and refrigerate any leftovers.  I really must give your method a try just to satisfy my curiosity. Who knows it might become my method too. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, shain said:

 

At the range of about 150-158 dF, the enzymes in the sweet potato gets active and break starch into sugar. They are destroyed slightly above this range. So for maximum sweetness, one should keep the tuber in this temprature range for about an hour. Lacking a circulator, I bring a pot of water to 158 degrees, add the sweet potatoes, cover and let it sit (heat off, as to not pass 158). Then just roast it with tiny bit of butter at 430f. 

The finishing with tahini adds a lovely nuttiness and a little sticky-fatty mouth feel. 

 

It is a successful day. I have learned something new. Thanks! (making a note to buy sweet potatoes if I ever have time to get to the grocery this week...)

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@BonVivant What kind of roe?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@shain  

 

thank you for your insight.  Ill try that today , but in the CSB  @ 150 Steam  for a while first.

 

I get the darker orange versions and bake until the skin is crispy and eat the skin.

 

you have to look for versions that are not old and dried out.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.jpeg

 

Leftover minced beef over a mashed sweet potato.

  • Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...