• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (Late 2016–Early 2017)

scubadoo97

2 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

BonVivant, I also adore your trip reports, but especially like the little metal old-fashioned buckets your two fish soups are served in. I infer these are common serving dishes in the area you are in? I used to milk a cow into a larger similar version many, many years back.

Serving soup and stew in a caldron is typical in all of Hungary. Caldron cookery has a significance in Hungarian history, has to do with their nomadic past. The Culinaria Hungary book also mentions it. Tell you more when I get home. (Light reading on the food of Hungary)

twbmRPe.jpg

9 hours ago, kayb said:

I do so enjoy your food travelogues!

Thanks, KayB! Could do more but I'm usually tired by the time I get back to my lodging... :)

Check this out: a butcher's shop at the market. Hungarians have no qualms about seeing the face of their food.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Check this out: a butcher's shop at the market. Hungarians have no qualms about seeing the face of their food.

That's a bit tame. Here is a picture I took in my local supermarket yesterday.

Please,if you are at all sensitive do not click on the link.

(That'll get them all clicking, Ollie.)

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

image.jpeg

This (more or less). 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My husband and I went out for a late lunch today at the recently opened Rouxpour (New Orleans style) restaurant near us.

I had the Penne Pasta in a Cream Sauce with Grilled Shrimp...

IMG_0134.JPG

...and he chose the Red Beans and Rice with Sausage.

IMG_0135.JPG

• Like 8

Yesterday's lunch leftovers augmented by a fried egg. 

image.jpeg

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

After 4 wonderful days in quiet Tokaj I'm back in the big city again. Lunch was so much I have no desire to eat anything til tomorrow. (Horrible restaurant lighting, glad it'll be over soon and I'll be making my own food.)

Foie

07E5cvK.jpg

NGlSz2P.jpg

Hungarians love (fried) onions.

fczSgi0.jpg

What happens when one's birthday falls on the 30th? You drink sparkling wine and have a marathon of Seinfeld, Absolutely Fabulous and Muriel's Wedding all the way into new year!

uI4E3YM.jpg

Last photo from Tokaj.

dkgdT4N.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

After stuffing myself for the better part of December (ok, actually the better part of 2016) I decided to keep things low for now ...

So I shared my three-year olds lunch (because seafood is so lean) :P

WP_20170102_13_02_51_Rich.jpg

• Like 10

1/2 leftover cheeseburger for me

nut butter and raspberry on Udi's white bread which will probably be eaten while in the meeting with our financial planner we are heading to in half an hour.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.jpeg

Might be a very late lunch or perhaps a very early dinner. Very simple mushrooms on toast with a splash of cream.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Once again, maybe a very late lunch or a very early dinner. Reheated chicken leg from a Costco rotisserie chicken. Very "wintery" tomatoes doctored with salt, pepper and a little sugar to make them barely tolerable.  No Cuisinart Steam Oven here but the Breville did a rather good job.  Used the Re-heat function with convection for 15 minutes. Re-crisped the skin without drying out the flesh.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Barley bowl. Barley cooked in the Instant Pot (bowl in bowl) tossed with parmesan and black pepper. Toppings are broccoli, rotisserie chicken and a (very) soft boiled egg. Was vaguely inspired by a recipe on the Kitchn web site. 

Edited to say:  OOPS. Should have been posted on Dinner thread.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, kayb said:

@HungryChris, that may be the first meal of yours that has not caused me to think seriously about setting out for Connecticut...

@kayb, That doesn't mean the door is closed. You are always welcome, we'll find something else that I'm sure you'd like!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 1

Today was the other two stuffed portabello mushrooms, soup and a salad.

i wanted some crunchy component for the sala so I 'popped' some wild rice....very crunchy.

Just heat some oil in a pan on high, add a couple of tablespoons of wild rice so they are not too crowded.  Shake about until they have cracked open.  Blot on paper towels and salt.

• Like 4