• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

I managed to find some Portuguese canned sardines in olive oil (usually I can only get a Malaysian brand packed in tomato sauce, which I end up washing off.)

So, lunch today was sardines on toast (home made bread). Black pepper. With a beer. I'm off work today.

sardines.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Did battle all morning with a privet hedge that had gotten out of control. Had no energy left so I opted for finger foods. Celery sticks, blue cheese dip, the last of the beef tongue pastrami, assorted homemade

pickles and a large iced tea.

HC

IMG_0533.JPG

• Like 6

image.jpeg

Umami-rich soup. Had some leftover roasted vegetables, some low-sodium commercial chicken broth, and a lonely Italian sausage. I took the skin off the sausage and pinched off "meatballs".  I added about a tablespoon of the frozen miso base I had made for Ramen to the simmering broth and briefly cooked the meatballs before adding the roasted vegetables to warm through. 

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Meze, posted over in the Syrian Refugee Tea topic.  The second dish shown was interesting:  from Persiana Spicy Tomato and Pepper Dip served with pitas.  Chopped tomatoes, onion, red and green pepper, parsley, sumac, pomegranate molasses, red wine vinegar, s and p and olive oil.  Unexpectedly, it was the star of the lunch.  The hummus was outstanding, from the Aleppo.  Also made some chicken in saffron and rosemary, fattoush, pickled beets,  tahini spread, lamb kofta, eggplant puree, homemade pitas, kibbee, and olives.  One of the eaters brought lemon squares for dessert. Oh, and wine!  Delicious.  It was kinda like eating East Indian food....all of a sudden one felt very, very full.

DSC01325.jpgDSC01326.jpgDSC01330.jpgDSC01329.jpg

• Like 11

OC, what a fantastic feast!

--------

Mine is really really simple: first asparagus of the season (officially started last saturday). Asparagus is from a farm 2.7km from my house (15mins on my bicycle).

Exquisite, sweet asparagus... I was emotional eating it!

8HwxnAH.jpg

1FhICvK.jpg

Yesterday...

GT92cra.jpg

• Like 9

The littleneck clams we had earlier in the week with garlic and wine made us decide to do linguini with clams tonight. These are Narragansett Bay beauties and are on sale all week. Lunch today was just a little quality control effort on my part.

HC

IMG_0539.JPG

untitled (13).png

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, BonVivant said:

OC, what a fantastic feast!

--------

Mine is really really simple: first asparagus of the season (officially started last saturday). Asparagus is from a farm 2.7km from my house (15mins on my bicycle).

Exquisite, sweet asparagus... I was emotional eating it!

8HwxnAH.jpg

1FhICvK.jpg

Yesterday...

GT92cra.jpg

The asparagus looks amazing.  So plumb and full.  The salad looks like ribbons of asparagus.  Great idea.  I have some green asparagus so I shall try that for lunch today.

• Like 2

Toasted prime rib (from freezer) with a side of home made daikon kimchi. image.jpeg

• Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

The littleneck clams we had earlier in the week with garlic and wine made us decide to do linguini with clams tonight. These are Narragansett Bay beauties and are on sale all week. Lunch today was just a little quality control effort on my part.

HC

IMG_0539.JPG

untitled (13).png

You're killing me.

• Like 3

Oh, my goodness, those kibbeh were really difficult to make because the recipe in Aleppo has no meat in the outside shell, just in the filling, so it is very, very crumbly.  Took me about three minutes or so to make each one.  Next time I'll make the ones with meat in the shell.  They fried up very nicely, served with tahini sauce.

• Like 1

I've looked at her recipe for kibbeh but it's been a long time,  but just looked at my Grandmother's recipe and no meat which is not surprising.   I have an attachment on my grinder that can extrude a hollow tube.   This has helped me make them with pretty good results although it's still a pain in the rear because if the dough begins to dry too much they crack.  And one goal is to keep the shell thin 

• Like 1

Pâté Croûte with a composed salad (not pictured) is always a nice light meal. I made two 12" pork pates last week for myself and a friend. It was my first attempt at a crusted pate and the sides needed more time on the higher temp. My oven probably needs adjustment (too low). However, this "Sure does eat good," as they say down here. 

PateCroute.jpg

Edited by Slick
missing word (log)
  • Like 10

image.jpeg

Lunch from my freezer (yesterday). Beef-vegetable soup and a Jamaican patty.  

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Use it or Lose it soup. I am trying to sort out my fridge, freezer and my cupboards  so this soup is two packages of different homemade broths, 2 1/2 Italian sausages, about half a cup of Rancho Gordo Christmas Lima beans, carrots and onions and I grated some Parmesan on my portion.  I hunted and hunted for my Parmesan rinds  but they never showed up.  Surely I didn't use them up O.o

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog