• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

Oh, yeah, the goo is the best part!!!  I leave as much as I can possibly leave.  Good idea to brine.  I guess it takes a bit longer for them to crisp up, or do you take them out of the brine and let them dry out for a while?

Yes just soak about an hour and then on towels.  This is when I have so so many from the Jack O'Lantern carving

• Like 1

I tried cleaning pumpkin seeds and could not get rid of all the slime. Is there an easy way to do this?

Giant stainless bowl and lots of water/hand agitation. I call it my placenta catcher bowl - sure Kerry knows.......

• Like 1

Giant stainless bowl and lots of water/hand agitation. I call it my placenta catcher bowl - sure Kerry knows.......

Love those big basins - you can use them for your popcorn - then soak your feet in them!

• Like 2

Basically fry up onion, ginger, garlic and chillis that have been processed, add the lamb until browned, spices, canned tomatoes - pressure cook for 15 minutes, finish with the peas and supposedly with coriander. 

I have a 6 litre or so pressure cooker up here - it's called a Tower - but it's a Fagor from europe as far as I can tell - was able to get a new handle for it from them. It was one Anna found in the discard room in an apartment she lived in. It sustained some damage to the handle. 

• Like 2

attachicon.gifIMG_1268.jpg

Crisped up the skin on the remains of the duck breast from the other day. No time for veggies!

Did you like cooking duck breast in CSO?  I think it is better than sous vide since it softens up the fat with that low temperature steam action and makes rendering it so much easier.  And I do save the fat for future cooking. 

IMG_1270 (1).jpg

So headed in to work early this am to staple together several inches of scalp - the ultrasound tech had brought me these lovely apples - still need eggs though!

IMG_1271 (1).jpg

Fried rice for breakfast.

IMG_1273 (1).jpg

So I'm headed off this morning to visit with Lisabeth of ultimately chocolate on the other side of the island. I'll report back on what we get up to later!

• Like 10

So lunch today with Lisabeth who has The Ultimate Chocolate Blog - her knowledge of bean to bar chocolate is quite amazing. 

You may remember her from piecaken fame - today she was making a pumpkin pie - flourless milk chocolate cake piecaken!

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

She's a fine cook - and we had a very nice chili with cheese and sour cream.  Also a very nice biscuit. Tomatoes from her garden went into the chili, and carrots and tomatoes from the garden along with some provolone accompanied the chili. 

IMG_1282.jpg

On the way home I wandered in to Burt's farm for a little visit - always have to see Copper - the greeter!

DSCN6008 (1).jpg

Leaves starting to change I noticed on the way back.

• Like 14

I've been invited for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow - so of course I volunteered for dessert. I was rolling out pie crust tonight - and had enough for a 3rd shell - with those lovely apples I was given today there was really only one thing for it.

IMG_1284.jpg

IMG_1285 (2).jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with it though.

• Like 8

I've been invited for thanksgiving dinner tomorrow - so of course I volunteered for dessert.

We're doing it on Sunday. I'm doing dessert just to say I helped because I have no intention of doing any of the rest of it (bad though it probably sounds, I consider it just a lot of work and cleanup that I'd rather not even bother with... but apparently it has to be done). The obligatory pumpkin pie was requested so I decided to do the dulce de leche pumpkin pie from Ideas in Food. I've never actually tried it, just trusting them and going in blind.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - I'll be making the DDL pumpkin pie from Ideas in Food too.Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

We're doing it on Sunday. I'm doing dessert just to say I helped because I have no intention of doing any of the rest of it (bad though it probably sounds, I consider it just a lot of work and cleanup that I'd rather not even bother with... but apparently it has to be done). The obligatory pumpkin pie was requested so I decided to do the dulce de leche pumpkin pie from Ideas in Food. I've never actually tried it, just trusting them and going in blind.

Ugh.  Can we join forces and ban holiday gatherings with gigantic meals lol?

*off to google the pie*

• Like 2

Just put this in the oven - and realized there was no pumpkin pie spice in there - this might actually be good!

Yeah, that part caught my attention too. I'm glad you're doing it, I'll get to hear if it comes out of the oven looking like pie. I trust the Ideas in Food recipes. I've done a lot of them over the years and I've never had one fail. I've only had 2 or 3 where I wasn't thrilled with the result. The recipes for those worked just fine, I just didn't really like the end product. A personal taste thing.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So the recipe calls for tapioca starch - had some tapioca but not the starch - so fired up the spice grinder that I got to replace the Sumeet when it went to the great spice grinder home in the sky and ground the tapioca into a powder. 

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1290.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Pie out of the oven. 

IMG_1291 (1).jpg

The extra. 

IMG_1293 (1).jpg

River Cafe Torta caprese to which I've added some limoncello. 

• Like 13

I'm always amazed at how seemingly effortlessly you can make such beautiful desserts.  That would take me all day and I still probably wouldn't be done lol.

AND she manages to photograph and post about it! I too am impressed.

• Like 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown