• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chillin' in Manitoulin

Kerry Beal

Colcannon (made in the pressure cooker at home), corn from the market, gravy made with duck fat and sous vide liquid from the freezer boiled to coagulate the proteins and strained.

DSCN5971.jpg

• Like 5

Kerry, my cookbooks (real books and Kindle) are at your service if you need recipes.  And I have a lot of cookbooks.

Anna, please take care of whatever needs to be done.  

• Like 1

Kerry, my cookbooks (real books and Kindle) are at your service if you need recipes.  And I have a lot of cookbooks.

Anna, please take care of whatever needs to be done.  

I do appreciate that - might need to hit you up for a few if I go off grid!

I learned, long ago when living in my motorhome and traveling a lot, that I could use a little Aerolator and using a STRAINED egg yolk, make a small batch of mayo in a small jam jar (cleaned of course).  Then I finally got smart and got a larger fridge - I had a 40-ft motorhome and why in hell they put a small fridge/freezer in it to begin with was ridiculous.  Then I could keep plenty of may on hand.

What's an Aerolater?

What's an Aerolater?

Aerolatte - I did not proofread.

The little battery mixer/milk foamers.  I had one long before the "Latte" craze got here - I used it for mixing stuff in mugs. 

I still have it - I wore out the mixer blade that had a wavy disc at the end years ago but still have the motor housing and shaft with the "beater".  

I always removed the battery "C" type after use and kept it in the box so it held up and it is all steel.

HPIM8154.JPG

It says on the box it is for mixed drinks, chocolate milk, eggs, gravies, soups, dressings, etc.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 6

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Andie, you are the queen of cool tools.  I love that you take such good care of them.

Kerry, sleep well--I'm sure you're pooped from today.  See ya in the morning :)

This is from the '80s.  I still have kitchen stuff I bought in the '60s that is still good, some in the original boxes like this. 

I was raised in a very frugal family who never threw anything away - and they were wealthy - just believed in taking care of things.

• Like 7

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

DSCN5973.jpg

A miserable rainy day to be on call - hopefully it will keep folks out of the ER.

DSCN5974.jpg

Kosher brisket - picked up from Wegman's on Monday. Planning 12 hours at 80C. I've brought along beet horseradish. Sandwiches in my future.

• Like 8

DSCN5979.jpg

So life is getting more settled!

DSCN5980.jpg

Brought up some coconut charcoal - lovely stuff - doesn't seem to have the volatile organic compounds that plague hardwood charcoal and take about an hour to burn off. Minimal ash, ready to cook on as soon as it's hot, seems to burn forever. A bit harder to light though.

DSCN5978.jpg

• Like 6

attachicon.gifDSCN5965.jpg

Leaves not quite changing yet.

Off to the grocery store!

They're already changing and beginning to drop here. Walking through the yard already has that autumn crunch sound from dried leaves.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

All set to make some kimchi jigae - realize there is no miso - wonder what my chances are in town tomorrow? Perhaps at the Island Jar.  

All set to make some kimchi jigae - realize there is no miso - wonder what my chances are in town tomorrow? Perhaps at the Island Jar.  

You must have inspired me without either of us knowing it... I started a batch of kimchi today.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Are you on call still?  I guess that means no cocktail hour :(

Indeed - no booze for me tonight!  

I haven't unpacked all the bottles yet - was too tired last night to even open the premixed one that we had waiting for our first night. I suspect I'll just leave it for next summer's arrival. It will be barrel aged that much longer!

• Like 5

Is jigae something I should plan on making*? I've never made or even tasted it before.

*Assuming this batch of kimchi works, I over-salted the last batch and it wouldn't ferment.

Is jigae something I should plan on making*? I've never made or even tasted it before.

*Assuming this batch of kimchi works, I over-salted the last batch and it wouldn't ferment.

Indeed - a wonderful soup to make with kimchi that is over the hill.

DSCN5981.jpg

Brought up some tomatoes supplied by the father of one of the nurses back home. She is newly pregnant - eating constantly. I made myself a toasted cheese, bacon and tomato sandwich at work one day - the next thing I know she is calling her mom and getting her to bring in the same!

DSCN5983.jpg

This would not be my first choice for bread for this kind of sandwich - but all by myself I'm not prepared to have more than one loaf in the house.

• Like 7