• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 1)

Congratulations Shelby! Come join the party and share your ups and downs. Though I hope they are mostly ups.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Congratulations Shelby! Come join the party and share your ups and downs. Though I hope they are mostly ups.

I'm having trouble deciding what to make first.  I'm not familiar AT all with pressure cooking so this is a whole new deal.  I bet you could make apple butter in a snap.

I'm thinking venison stew sounds good....except it's super hot outside.....

So you probably think I am still in the clutches of Googlehole but in fact I have been slaving away since very, very early this morning. I have made two batches of Boston brown bread. I made the Jasper White one from Epicurious and the one from Saveur via Closet Cooking.

I stuck pretty closely to the recipes as given using powdered skim milk in the JW one and powdered buttermilk in the CC one. I added raisins to the CC one. I ran out of molasses and just before I had the half cup I needed for the CC one so it got a smidgen of amber honey.

(We need some method of making shortcut notes!)

JW cooked initially for 22 minutes at high-pressure but when tested with a skewer it was still quite batter-like in the centre. Returned for a further five minutes. I judged it cooked sufficiently and took its temperature with my thermopen and and it was 98°C. This was after I had let the pressure drop naturally for 10 minutes and then released the remaining pressure. I allowed it to cool in the can on the rack for one hour.

image.jpg

image.jpg

As I sliced it I discovered a bit of the tunnel in the centre.

I cooked the CC for 27 minutes initially and returned it for an additional three minutes. When I decided it was done its temperature read 94°C. Same procedure as JW except I gave it a good couple of thumps on the counter when I put the batter into the can. This was not quite as loose as the JW batter. This one I allowed to cool for 20 minutes as asked for the recipe before taking it out of the can

image.jpg

In both cases I used water from the cold tap and in both cases it took give ot take 8 cups to come up to the halfway point.

The recipe that will go into my permanent file is the CC one and I will make a note to cook it at high-pressure for 30 minutes. It was lighter than any of the others probably due to the inclusion of baking powder and an egg which acted as lovely a it was lighter than any of the others probably due to the inclusion of baking powder and an egg which are leaveners. I suspect, however, that purists would object.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you for the fine detail.

I was unable to locate the BB on CC.  I got to the site and tried a search but it sent me to a semi-Google and only other breads came up.

would it be possible to post a link ?

how did the Cc compare to the original loaf you baked ?

thanks

thank you for the fine detail.

I was unable to locate the BB on CC.  I got to the site and tried a search but it sent me to a semi-Google and only other breads came up.

would it be possible to post a link ?

how did the Cc compare to the original loaf you baked ?

thanks

Sincere apologies. Got my blogs mixed up! It is on the bitten word blog. However the Saveur connection will still get you to the recipe.

http://www.thebittenword.com/thebittenword/2012/03/new-england-brown-bread.html

This is much closer to my memory of what brown bread should taste like. That first one used maple syrup. This one used molasses which seems much closer to the common form.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So while I was sorting out and inventorying my freezer yesterday, I came across 2 packages of thickly sliced pork shoulder. There was about a pound altogether. I transferred them from the freezer to the fridge figuring I would do something with them in the Instant Pot.

I searched around for a recipe that would work with the ingredients I had on hand. This recipe more or less fit the bill. But I also wanted to try tiered cooking.

I added five minutes of cooking time to the recipe to bring it in line with the one on Lorna's site. Her carrots, you will note, are large and whole. Mine were cut up. But my carrots were some ways from being properly cooked. Not sure if that is because I put a rack in there to lift the carrots above the stroganoff or if it was the carrots themselves. I wonder about the carrots because these are the giant ones that only seem to appear in the Asian stores.

The pork was as tender as could be.

The pasta was cooked in the microwave and I will talk about it some more on the Fasta Pasta Topic.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

For those who are interested in cooking rice in the Insta pot you might want to take a look

here

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Ive noticed certain Measurement Changes this AM.

Ive had the IP < 6 days. 

the IP needs a FDA health warning label :

" May Cause Significant Weight Gain "

I could hardly waddle out to finish stacking my wood this AM

I had plans today for BabyBackRibs.

I still might get to them, For Science

:huh: 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well I think if rotuts can be coy……

Definitely not dessert.

Tepeed foil? Is that really a word and would a First Nations person recognize it as such?

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

well you bet.  The English Language is a Language The Evolves

there was a stunning PBS like Saga that documented this.  maybe they made a Hot Pot.

after all, the 'u' in colo'u'r  has pretty much disappeared from Advanced Nations

[Ed.: nations that are now close to ClueLess.  Tech and All ]

But What is that Masterpiece ?

Thousand Island souffle? :-D

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

For those who are interested in cooking rice in the Insta pot you might want to take a look

here

Thanks for posting this. The fact that I really like my rice cooker is the only thing keeping me from puling the trigger (so to speak). My goal is to replace several appliances with one and I am also interested in the milk pasteurization function. 

Thanks for posting this. The fact that I really like my rice cooker is the only thing keeping me from puling the trigger (so to speak). My goal is to replace several appliances with one and I am also interested in the milk pasteurization function.

Back off! Back off! You're being pulled into the slip-stream!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow Smithy, you're awfully warm. It is supposed to cool on the counter for 2 to 3 hours and then in the fridge for even more time. The suspense is killing me.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh all right, Shelby. You're tugging at my heart strings. Tuna salad? Rates right up there with beans and green peppers -- yuck food.

Savoury cheesecakes have always fascinated me. I have never had one and never made one until now.

image.jpg

It developed one small crack while it was cooling which tends to confirm my suspicion that it was cooked just a little too long. I bet it will still be really good.

image.jpg

And should you choose to make your own…

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

One of the things I was most interested in (do I keep saying that?) was cooking a complete meal in the IP. I spent a fair bit of my day googling away in an effort to find the guidance I was going to need. I can report that it can indeed be done.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The only thing I would change next time is the size of the last-minute addition of the sweet potato. I cut it into about 1/2 inch dice and it pretty much disintegrated.

Edited to fix weird auto corrected things.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh yeah.  I'm making that.  Just have to find a pan that fits in the IP........

Most cheesecake recipes designed to be cooked in a pressure cooker call for a 7 x 3" spring form pan which is a pretty standard size. Mine is only 5.5 x 2 and so the recipe is adjusted to account for that.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow! How embarassing. Was attempting to show off the IP not my handwriting which would appal my penmanship teacher! I am old enough to have learned to write with a dip pen!

But back to the matter at hand.

image.jpg

The chilled cheese cake. (Note to self: oil cake pan next time!) it is not smooth but that would be expected considering it has inclusions. It would definitely have benefited from a little less cooking time. Made for an overly rich breakfast!

Edited because I hit post too soon.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog