• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

As a vegetarian spread I would not kick this to the curb but any resemblance to foie gras is purely imaginary! And I say this having never even tasted foie gras! I do know that foie gras is rich, buttery and tastes of liver.

Sort of like the Jewish vegetarian chopped liver - FEH!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

You won't hear much from me today but I thought I would save Shelby a 19 hour drive by at least checking in!

Kerry is in the kitchen teaching a shy young lady how to make egg-free cinnamon rolls so I am making myself scarce. But I thought I would share this with you:

image.jpg

Home-made creme fraiche that has been ripening on the counter for about 24 hours. It is thick, creamy and delicious.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Root vegetables don't come much fresher -- complete with a complement of dirt and still moving protein. Most of it was picked/pulled at Pike Lake Farms while Kerry and her young companion waited. But guess who got to deal with the dirt and still breathing protein?

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Along with egg free cinnamon buns we decided to make some cream cheese pastry. We made turnovers with the faux gras, a bit of cheese and some pickled onions. Drizzled with Trader Jo's Balsamic Glaze. Young Jess put faces on Anna's and mine. 

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

• Like 8

About the Haweaters Festival...Aug 2-3.  Are the Hawberries actually edible by then?  Ours, in east central Ontario, are not ripened yet.  Now, I've never eaten one and don't know that I will...but they are all gobbled up quite nicely by the local feathered folk. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Root vegetables don't come much fresher -- complete with a complement of dirt and still moving protein. Most of it was picked/pulled at Pike Lake Farms while Kerry and her young companion waited. But guess who got to deal with the dirt and still breathing protein?

Nice looking haul.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

About the Haweaters Festival...Aug 2-3. Are the Hawberries actually edible by then? Ours, in east central Ontario, are not ripened yet. Now, I've never eaten one and don't know that I will...but they are all gobbled up quite nicely by the local feathered folk.

I honestly don't know. Bet Kerry can answer this better than me. I have tried Hawberry jelly as it is sold on the Island and I doubt it will ever win an award for flavour.

Edited to fix typo

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

About the Haweaters Festival...Aug 2-3.  Are the Hawberries actually edible by then?  Ours, in east central Ontario, are not ripened yet.  Now, I've never eaten one and don't know that I will...but they are all gobbled up quite nicely by the local feathered folk. 

I might argue that Haw are never actually edible!

• Like 1

IMG_0632.jpg

Getting ready to put the cinnamon mixture on the rolls.

IMG_0638.jpg

Rolling some cream cheese pastry for turnovers.

IMG_0639.jpg

Brushed with milk and sprinkled with turbinado sugar.

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Turnovers with cream cheese and black current jam.

IMG_0644.jpg

The finished cinnamon rolls.

• Like 8

bet your 'associate' had a really good time.

Kudos your way for sharing.

:biggrin:

She was a delightful young lady with manners to spare.

image.jpg

Still podding peas.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Very nice farm produce. What are the greens in the lower right? Sort of looks like lettuce, but not radially arranged in a head. I haven't seen such elongated beets before.

If I had those beautiful beet greens I'd make a recipe adapted from "Joy of Cooking's" chard tart. I usually make it crustless to cut fat and carbs. It's a baked custard with sauteed onion, greens, parmesan and basil. I've made it with chard, but much prefer beet greens. It makes a lovely light entree.

• Like 2

> ^ . . ^ <

I just have to share this with you. I asked Kerry if she could drop in to the grocery store on her lunch break and grab some chicken thighs. Chicken thighs people not boned squab, not oven ready ortolans just ordinary chicken thighs. Yep they have them but no skin. What's the point of eating chicken if you don't have crispy skin? She is off to the second grocery store with fingers crossed.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry and her student came home for lunch again today. I managed to pull together some lunch for them but rushed the photo so it's mostly of an empty plate!

image.jpg

Cheese quesadillas, carrot raisin salad, beet and orange salad (All to make the best of our farm bounty), sour cream and store-bought salsa?

The beet and orange salad looked so jewel-like that I took a photo before anyone arrived.

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Very nice farm produce. What are the greens in the lower right? Sort of looks like lettuce, but not radially arranged in a head. I haven't seen such elongated beets before.

If I had those beautiful beet greens I'd make a recipe adapted from "Joy of Cooking's" chard tart. I usually make it crustless to cut fat and carbs. It's a baked custard with sauteed onion, greens, parmesan and basil. I've made it with chard, but much prefer beet greens. It makes a lovely light entree.

The greens are romaine but in this case single leaves rather than the way it usually comes. Your frittata sounds delicious.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I prefer, rather strongly, bones skinless thighs. I do not like cooking bone-in chicken.

Interesting. Thank goodness we're all different. There are one or two dishes where I prefer boneless skinless thighs but on the whole I like my chicken cooked on the bone with the skin intact.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Mmmmmm.  Two of my favorite combos in the last meals: 

Beets and their greens - I love how the slight bitterness of the greens contrasts with the sweetness of the beets.

Beets and orange in salad - I like to marinate the beets in 1:1 OJ and rice vinegar and serve with fresh sliced oranges

Thanks for taking us along!

• Like 2