• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

"""  excellent chocolate wafer to be used to make an icebox cake. ""

Ive been thinking of icebox cake as i got this book from my Library :

http://www.amazon.com/Icebox-Cakes-Recipes-Coolest-Town/dp/1452112215/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_z/180-5614604-1090027

it reminded me of a thin, dark not sweet chocolate cookie from the mid '50's

on the oblong 'not a box' it had a pic of using those cookies w whipped cream to make an 'ice box' cake

after pestering my mother 'for some time'  I got to make it.

best thing I ever made at that time.

I was 6 if not 7 y.o.

• Like 2

Those look absolutely scrumptious.   Are the cookies soft?  *Shelby wipes drool off of keyboard*

They aren't supposed to be - but the thicker ones were.

"""  excellent chocolate wafer to be used to make an icebox cake. ""

Ive been thinking of icebox cake as i got this book from my Library :

http://www.amazon.com/Icebox-Cakes-Recipes-Coolest-Town/dp/1452112215/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_z/180-5614604-1090027

it reminded me of a thin, dark not sweet chocolate cookie from the mid '50's

on the oblong 'not a box' it had a pic of using those cookies w whipped cream to make an 'ice box' cake

after pestering my mother 'for some time'  I got to make it.

best thing I ever made at that time.

I was 6 if not 7 y.o.

Just google image Nabisco Chocolate Waters - you'll be in hog heaven!

• Like 1

image.jpg

The challah turned out quite well and now Kerry thinks I should tackle brioche. I thought I might give the "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" version a go but fridge space is at a premium and I don't think there is a suitable container here. I will keep looking.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

loaf brioche ?

you then might be able to make some fruit + brioche 'bread pudding'

Kerry keeps hinting at Bostocks.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Had to google Bostocks.  Figs?  YUM.

edited:  I guess there are way more different kinds.  I'm a sucker for figs so I glommed onto that right off the bat lol.

Edited by Shelby (log)

While bacon on challah may seem slightly unorthodox, cheese on a bacon and tomato sandwich is downright nasty.

For a stellar bacon and tomato sandwich first cook the bacon and set it aside to drain. Pour off most of the bacon fat but leave the pan just slicked. Carefully brown both sides of both pieces of bread in the barely slicked pan adding bacon fat as needed. Build the sandwhich by covering a slice of the bread with the drained (and crispy) bacon, top with a full edge-to-edge blanket of sliced tomato, season generously with salt and pepper and leave the damn cheese in the fridge.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

I will never judge a tomato sandwich, but, I don't like cheese either...HOWEVER, I've never tried it.

I need to point out that you're both missing the lettuce part.  :raz:

I can't speak for Kerry but I didn't miss it a bit.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Cheese or no cheese, you had me at bacon and freshly-baked bread.

I am not a baker but the no-knead bread has me intrigued. However, since it's been in the 90s here for several weeks and many of those days humid (by southern California standards) firing up the oven is just not going to happen right now.  Is the Forkish recipe online or do I need a particular book?

edited to add: Disneyland's Village Haus restaurant has a very interesting flatbread BLT pizza.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Bacon, lettuce, tomato and dill pickle. You were missing two elements! :raz:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I have exactly the same folding stepstool, I think. But I adore mine and don't think I have ever been bitten. Not sure what you mean, Smithy?

I keep mine at the end of a counter run where there is a bit of space before the patio door. It fits there perfectly and doesn't actually need to be folded most of the time, so maybe it doesn't get many opportunities to bite me. :laugh:

When the stepstool is almost, but not quite, fully opened there is a strong temptation to push down on the 'step' (top) part to flatten it the rest of the way quickly. Our first stepstool was kind, with enough gaps in the hinge to allow skin to escape. Our current folding stepstool has such tight tolerances that it must be opened All. The. Way. before someone steps on it. Do not try to push that bad boy flat with your hand, or you'll have blood blisters. Ours lives in the trailer and has many opportunities to fold and unfold, but has not loosened one whit.

Also, Kerry and Anna - I love Canadian Tire. I think they could use the motto "keep Canadian Tire weird." Because they really are a bit weird. But it works. I can never stay away from there for long. And I often find stuff there that I really like. Their store here is the smallest square footage in the whole country or something and they are crazily creative when it comes to stacking merchandise. They are supposed to take over the defunct Target store and I hope that happens because I get a serious kink in my neck every time I shop in their current store.

Boy, this is teasing at some memories of stores with some automotive name (like Canadian Tire) that had a wild hodgepodge of stuff not restricted to automotive material. I wasn't into cookery then but was fascinated with all the random stuff they carried - including cooking gear - more diversified than the Pep Boys now. Could that have been Canadian Tire? In California? A few decades ago?
  • Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

When the stepstool is almost, but not quite, fully opened there is a strong temptation to push down on the 'step' (top) part to flatten it the rest of the way quickly. Our first stepstool was kind, with enough gaps in the hinge to allow skin to escape. Our current folding stepstool has such tight tolerances that it must be opened All. The. Way. before someone steps on it. Do not try to push that bad boy flat with your hand, or you'll have blood blisters. Ours lives in the trailer and has many opportunities to fold and unfold, but has not loosened one whit.

Boy, this is teasing at some memories of stores with some automotive name (like Canadian Tire) that had a wild hodgepodge of stuff not restricted to automotive material. I wasn't into cookery then but was fascinated with all the random stuff they carried - including cooking gear - more diversified than the Pep Boys now. Could that have been Canadian Tire? In California? A few decades ago?

Thanks for the stepstool advice, mine may bite me yet! I will be careful.    :smile:

I seem to recall that Canadian Tire did try to enter the US market a few years back but it did not work out well. Still, their odd business model seems to work here. It's a bit like London Drugs in Western Canada - it's a place you go to find almost anything, but if you don't find it you aren't usually disappointed because you find so many odd and interesting things along the way plus a few really well-priced necessities that you end up spending some money anyway. 

• Like 2

Cheese or no cheese, you had me at bacon and freshly-baked bread.

I am not a baker but the no-knead bread has me intrigued. However, since it's been in the 90s here for several weeks and many of those days humid (by southern California standards) firing up the oven is just not going to happen right now.  Is the Forkish recipe online or do I need a particular book?

edited to add: Disneyland's Village Haus restaurant has a very interesting flatbread BLT pizza.

Here's one and if you Google Ken Forkish you may find others but you will definitely find YouTube videos showing you how to fold the dough and shape the loaf.

My 2004 eG Blog

Rhubarb and dates is a new and intriguing combination for me. Do you precook the rhubarb, or just chop it finely?

They aren't supposed to be - but the thicker ones were.

When I saw the picture, I thought they looked like an ice cream sandwich relative. Have you tried using the cookies for that purpose?

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Rhubarb and dates is a new and intriguing combination for me. Do you precook the rhubarb, or just chop it finely?

Chopped finely - I'll put the recipe here - it also makes a cake that I've posted before if I recall.

Mom's Rhubarb Date Muffins/Cake

• cup 1 rhubarb, diced
  • cup 1 dates, diced
  • tsp 1 baking soda
  • cup 1 boiling water
  • cup 1/2 shortening
  • cup 1/2 sugar
  • cup 1/2 brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • cup 2 flour
  • tsp 1/2 salt
  • tsp 1 1/2 cinnamon
  • tsp 1/2 cloves
1.Add soda to dates and rhubarb and pour over boiling water. Cool to RT.

2.Cream shortening with sugars, beat in eggs. Add dry ingredients and stir in rhubarb mixture.  
3.Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes for muffins, 9 by 9 pan for 40 to 50 minutes.

When I saw the picture, I thought they looked like an ice cream sandwich relative. Have you tried using the cookies for that purpose?

Nope - first time I've ever made then - but you are right - I think they'd be perfect!

So we did a little more grocery shopping this morning. We were limited to downtown Little Current as we cannot wander too far from the hospital at the moment. I tried to give you better photos this time.

image.jpg

Nachos? Tostadas? For Kerry. Oranges, icing sugar (on sale), bananas for Kira, white chocolate chips, butter, mozzarella, mushrooms and milk.

image.jpg

Coffee(only for the can!), two jars of black current jam (on sale), jarred olives (OMG!), self-raising flour and Feta cheese.

If I were wealthy I might offer prizes for all my f you to guess what the above will transform into!

My 2004 eG Blog

So we did a little more grocery shopping this morning. We were limited to downtown Little Current as we cannot wander too far from the hospital at the moment. I tried to give you better photos this time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nachos? Tostadas? For Kerry. Oranges, icing sugar (on sale), bananas for Kira, white chocolate chips, butter, mozzarella, mushrooms and milk.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Coffee(only for the can!), two jars of black current jam (on sale), jarred olives (OMG!), self-raising flour and Feta cheese.

If I were wealthy I might offer prizes for all my f you to guess what the above will transform into!

Is that a bag at the bottom of the photo - the one that says 4 liters, 1%... is that a bag of milk?