• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

would you be willing to take some pic's of the market ?

Your request came a little late for this week. It would have been a rather boring photo. Perhaps next week.

image.jpg

Our haul from the market! Nothing but a bit of baking, some preserves, some used books and lot of handicrafts. Except for a few herbs there was little in the way of produce. The Pike Lake farm truck was MIA. Very, very disappointing morning.

image.jpg

We went to the grocery store first and ignored all the produce expecting to find some at the farmers market!

In front and not very visible are pecans and walnuts bits and some flaxseed. The two jars are dulce de leche which has been discontinued by this company and Kerry was able to get them for 50% off.

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna - looking forward to the David Lebovitz faux gras now that you have nuts. It caught my eye as well. Will you be doing the optional cognac or going "nekkid"?

Anna - looking forward to the David Lebovitz faux gras now that you have nuts. It caught my eye as well. Will you be doing the optional cognac or going "nekkid"?

I will be using contraband cognac.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna and Kerry, your annual adventures in Manitoulin are always a joy to read.  So much good food, drink, and friendship is enviable and the glimpses into Kerry's work are inspiring and humbling. Thanks for taking us along with you!

Looking at the menus for the nursing home I begin to understand Canada's interest in assisted suicide.

That said, the above comment took my breath away. Suicide by any means seems to me sad beyond words.  My only connection with the issue has come from comforting friends who have experienced it within their own families. So complex, and certainly quality of life can be an issue, but I can't imagine joking about it. That so many members liked this post tells me that I'm being oversensitive here.

There have been some good topics on eGullet about cooking for seniors. My take away from this is to remember that good food and friendship at the table aren't a luxury but one of life's simple necessary pleasures, perhaps more so for those whose daily lives are limited to a nursing home or otherwise overwhelmed by illness or other troubles.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here. I truly have nothing but admiration and respect for how generous you are with your cooking talents!

• Like 1

not quite sure what

""  contraband cognac "" is

no Mounties Tax Stamp ?

these Guys :

Do not make us have to hide from the revenooers! Think back to our earlier trips up here!

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna and Kerry, your annual adventures in Manitoulin are always a joy to read.  So much good food, drink, and friendship is enviable and the glimpses into Kerry's work are inspiring and humbling. Thanks for taking us along with you!

That said, the above comment took my breath away. Suicide by any means seems to me sad beyond words.  My only connection with the issue has come from comforting friends who have experienced it within their own families. So complex, and certainly quality of life can be an issue, but I can't imagine joking about it. That so many members liked this post tells me that I'm being oversensitive here.

There have been some good topics on eGullet about cooking for seniors. My take away from this is to remember that good food and friendship at the table aren't a luxury but one of life's simple necessary pleasures, perhaps more so for those whose daily lives are limited to a nursing home or otherwise overwhelmed by illness or other troubles.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer here. I truly have nothing but admiration and respect for how generous you are with your cooking talents!

Really, LindaK. This was meant very much as a light-hearted comment on the horrible things we try to feed our seniors. It was not meant to make light of suicide. One survives and thrives in medicine because one can indulge in black humour knowing that when the chips are down compassion is the dominant driving force. I apologize if it hit a sore spot.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

So here is the faux gras.

I can tell you that the recipe annoyed me immensely. Why be so specific about the weight of raw and cooked lentils and then call for one small onion. The recipe writers idea of a medium mushroom and mine is very far off so I appreciated the 100 grams but in no way could one have jammed my mushrooms into a cup!

As a vegetarian spread I would not kick this to the curb but any resemblance to foie gras is purely imaginary! And I say this having never even tasted foie gras! I do know that foie gras is rich, buttery and tastes of liver.

If I had vegetarian friends to entertain I would certainly not be ashamed to put this on the table but I would have to find a new name for it. I hope somebody else attempts it and offers their opinion.

Edited to fix misinterpreted dictation

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

...It was not meant to make light of suicide. One survives and thrives in medicine because one can indulge in black humour knowing that when the chips are down compassion is the dominant driving force.

Understood, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  No apology necessary. As I tried to say, I truly appreciate all you and Kerry do.

""  never even tasted foie gras ""

Wow. better make a list and put this on the top.  once is fine.

the best I had was N. of Montreal at a place called Auberge des Cedres.  I stayed there for a week for skiing farther north.

and that was the first time I had it with a glass of Sauterne.

no liver taste at all ( fortunately )

Understood, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise.  No apology necessary. As I tried to say, I truly appreciate all you and Kerry do.

Thank you for being gracious about it.

My 2004 eG Blog

""  never even tasted foie gras ""

Wow. better make a list and put this on the top.  once is fine.

the best I had was N. of Montreal at a place called Auberge des Cedres.  I stayed there for a week for skiing farther north.

and that was the first time I had it with a glass of Sauterne.

no liver taste at all ( fortunately )

I have to say that having seen it I have no desire to try it. I am at a loss to explain myself. It has something to do with the richness and that is neither a health hangup nor a puritanical fear of luxury. I love smoked eel but it does not return the favour. I suspect foie might cause the same reaction.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Lunch was quite satisfactory. Faux gras on crackers with onion marmalade. Kerry's lunch looked the same. I went back in for seconds.

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

In between trips to the ER today I've been playing with adapting my cinnamon bun recipe to eggless. The daughter of Kira's sitter wants some baking lessons. She is apparently egg allergic (we won't go into the diagnosis of allergies by people who wave a test tube over your child) - so I have added some chickpea flour and water to my standard recipe to stand in for the eggs.

IMG_0626.jpg

Doubled in bulk.

IMG_0628.jpg

Spread with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and bit of clove.

IMG_0629.jpg

Anna was able to get them baked during my last stint in the ER.  

They taste just fine! I guess a true test would be the egg version vs this version vs the same recipe sans any egg or egg replacement.  

• Like 8

attachicon.gifIMG_0555.jpg

Foggcutters - perhaps should be renamed Fogginducers.

attachicon.gifIMG_0556.jpg

Our Remoska cooked chicken and veg with a nice slice of fresh bread.

Where's the bread? That's not bread... When are you guys back. I'm done my 10000 Macarons 300 eclairs and now summer is starting...

Tell Anna I can't find the bread on that plate.

I agree with the joke.... The government should send the prisoners in nursing homes and the elders in prison... Life quality would be much better for the elders and more miserable for the prisoners

Nope even if it's not a baguette I can't see it y'all...

That steak looked quite nice. I'm feeling hungry.

I find that Anna is resting much more this year. Is it just an impression?

Much less cocktails as well.

Apparently there is good fish up there... Its healthy stuff too...

I'm sadden to see the farmers market is empty. Fruits in Ontario are about a month late... If Anna could do the sun dance for more sun maybe the strawberries would have finally something good maybe blueberries as well

Hope all is good up there... Toronto is a mess... With the mini Olympics.

Bedtime soon cause real bread needs to be made... :) y all....

Wow, too bad that the farmers' market is so nonexistent this year. Too much cool, rainy weather earlier? From what I can see, your weather now is fairly warm and sunny, is that so? We are finally getting some much-needed rain out here, so maybe we are doing a weather swap for a bit?  :smile:

And the produce is all late there, while here it has all been really early this year.  

How much longer are you two there? 

Wow, too bad that the farmers' market is so nonexistent this year. Too much cool, rainy weather earlier? From what I can see, your weather now is fairly warm and sunny, is that so? We are finally getting some much-needed rain out here, so maybe we are doing a weather swap for a bit?  :smile:

And the produce is all late there, while here it has all been really early this year.  

How much longer are you two there?

We three are here until Haweater Weekend (Aug 2-3). Those born on the Island are called Haweaters for the haw berries that grow here and traditionally return home for visits and celebrations that weekend. We will begin the long drive home on the Sunday or Monday. I expect we might take the ferry across to the mainland.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Nope even if it's not a baguette I can't see it y'all...

That steak looked quite nice. I'm feeling hungry.

I find that Anna is resting much more this year. Is it just an impression?

Much less cocktails as well.

Apparently there is good fish up there... Its healthy stuff too...

I'm sadden to see the farmers market is empty. Fruits in Ontario are about a month late... If Anna could do the sun dance for more sun maybe the strawberries would have finally something good maybe blueberries as well

Hope all is good up there... Toronto is a mess... With the mini Olympics.

Bedtime soon cause real bread needs to be made... :) y all....

image.jpg

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog