• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

Anna, that bread looks just amazing.

image.jpg

Thank you. This was an experiment that worked! I wish you could hear that bread "sing" as it comes out of the oven!

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yes that's right... We are the French and I'm panning... Lol... Those damn French so arrogant and full of themselves...

But even cowboys can be tamed. I can't imagine making that many of anything! Bet you are glad Bastille Day comes but once a year!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thank you. This was an experiment that worked! I wish you could hear that bread "sing" as it comes out of the oven!

Very impressive crust and crumb, both! Was this the no-knead bread in the heavy stainless to which you referred on the previous page? Is this a Forkish, Lahey, or Anna N (or all of the above) approach?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Very impressive crust and crumb, both! Was this the no-knead bread in the heavy stainless to which you referred on the previous page? Is this a Forkish, Lahey, or Anna N (or all of the above) approach?

It was the Forkish bread (which I now make in my sleep!) done in the stainless steel. Being so much lighter than the cast iron Dutch oven it proved less challenging to handle.

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. Well I think I can be fairly confident in claiming the title Lunch Lady as once again Kerry will be bringing her student home for some lunch.

image.jpg

To amuse you this is my set up for pressing some salted cucumbers for a quick pickle.

image.jpg

And these are less than stellar grape tomatoes that I'm going to roast (in the Cuisinart steam oven) with garlic oil, salt and some herbes de Provence.

My plan is a few various crostini.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifIMG_0668.jpg

Made the dough for these last night - baked off this morning.  Missing Map Cheese Wafers from the Nancy Drew Cookbook. Had them first at a neighbours home - had to find the recipe and try them.  

They would benefit from some pepper and perhaps pimenton or chipoltle powder.   

Had to chase that link and save that recipe. That looks like a keeper. 

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

image.jpg

Lunch. Crostini with egg salad, roasted tomatoes and Parmesan, and egg salad.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

And pate with pickled cucs and beets!

Thank you. I got totally sidetracked when my dictation interpreted "crostini" as "crusty knees".

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

Crusty knees  :laugh:

Oh, you brought back a fun memory.   When I was a kid my Grammy would make nachos for dinner--the guac would have been an excellent addition, but that was never added.  But the nachos were such a treat.  I remember one epic night that we had several servings of nachos while I watched Gone With The Wind for the first time  :wub:

• Like 3

image.jpg

While Kerry munched on nachos I topped up my oxalic acid reserves. A slice of bread browned in garlic oil, topped with some sauteed beet greens and a fried egg.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Butterscotch Squares Ingredients

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans

Method

Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minutes.
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

While Kerry munched on nachos I topped up my oxalic acid reserves. A slice of bread browned in garlic oil, topped with some sauteed beet greens and a fried egg.

Anna, your krebs cycle will thank you.  Or not, as the case may be.  I had been wondering what I should do for dinner and now I think I shall go make an omelet.  That egg of yours sure looks lovely.  Unfortunately here there is no bread left and it is a bit late to go a baking.  Particularly, perhaps, after a couple of my industrial strength mai tais.

Oh wait!  I found the last third of a baguette!  Though it is two nights old.  And some Parmesan I grated yesterday!  I am not proud.

• Like 5

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Butterscotch Squares Ingredients

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans

Method

Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minutes.

Kerry, is this the same recipe you've posted previously as Blondies? Did they decide they'd had enough of being blond and needed a rebranding?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Same one - I've always called it Butterscotch Squares (actually Marg Manchee's Butterscotch Squares cause she's the friend of my moms who was the source of the recipe).  They got rebranded Blondies somewhere along the line on eG when someone wanted the recipe and we discussed it on a thread at length I think.  

• Like 1

That discussion started about a year ago: Blondies. Are they nice?

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Lisabeth from Ultimately Chocolate was over to our place today for some dipping advice. 

DSCN5754.jpg

So of course we had to have lunch - there is still some nice charcuterie tucked away and of course some wonderful cheeses (thanks Chocolot!).

DSCN5755.jpg

Giant marshmallow on a stick with face paint!

DSCN5761.jpg

Some experiments in using chocolate stored in the EZtemper a la Joseph Schmidt.

DSCN5764.jpg

Christmas in July!

• Like 8

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Lunch. Crostini with egg salad, roasted tomatoes and Parmesan, and egg salad.

Are there 3 of you for lunch (including the student) or only 2?

If 3, how do you decide who gets which extra crostini? 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Are there 3 of you for lunch (including the student) or only 2?

If 3, how do you decide who gets which extra crostini?

There were 3 of us and we somehow managed to share without a battle.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog