• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin. If I can make it there…

Anna N

attachicon.gifDSCN5718.jpg

A perfect charcuterie and cheese dinner.  

The only exception to the perfection was the iberico we bought at Wegmans - it was a horrifying experience watching the woman who was the 'expert' in slicing by hand hacking the pieces off the leg while I terrorized her across the counter. She didn't seem to think the first slice was the angel's share (and at $98 US a lb I bloody well wasn't going to pay for the dried piece from the outside) and the inch long slices were scalloped thick and thin. My suggestions to improve her carving were not well received. I really wanted to just run screaming in the other direction knowing I was going a pay a premium for it. Like a proper polite Canadian I paid for it!

Now Premier Gourmet had a nice piece of iberico  - they cut it very thin by machine which resulted in perfect slices (and for a whole lot less money)!

Perhaps you should buy a whole ham for your next trip. That way you can slice it expertly, and I doubt any of it will go to waste.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Good morning. No breakfast pictures because how many ways can you show crackers and cheese and make it look different! This time though the cheese was different as I brought up some of my favorite Saint Agur blue.

Kerry just texted me from the clinic to ask if she could bring home a med student at lunchtime. Easy to accommodate her so long as she's not vegetarian as we have a ton of charcuterie here are rapidly running out of vegetable options. There is bound to be an air of déjà vu about lunch.

I also have a batch of Ken Forkish bread on the go but it won't be ready for lunch. Had in mind that I might try the Guinness cake today but will need to wait until we restock the pantry.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A lot is forgiven for muffins...and cakes and ice cream and butterscotch dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with almonds...and so on and so on.  :smile:

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

So lunch looks much like dinner.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

nice

Im a big big fan of charcuterie 

what sort of Charc.  is at the 6 o'clock position ?  some sort of beef ?

That would be bresaola at the 6 o'clock position. One of my favourites.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

It may be similar to some other meals you've shown but it sure looks like a nice spread to me.

Thank you. The medical student seemed to enjoy it.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

I am curious to see how these little loaves of no-knead bread will bake up. There are no enameled Dutch ovens up here so they will go directly on the baking stone covered by a stainless steel bowl.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I am curious to see how these little loaves of no-knead bread will bake up. There are no enameled Dutch ovens up here so they will go directly on the baking stone covered by a stainless steel bowl.

Now that will be interesting to see!

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

That meal looks delightful to me. I'm sure it was a very rare treat for the med student.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how will you transfer those little loaves out of those beautifully lined baskets? Do you flip the loaves over onto a baking sheet and then transfer to a stone? (I'd have flour all over if I did that.) Or will you be able to pick them up once they're risen without deflating them?

Edit: maybe I'm overthinking the "place directly on the stone" comment. I flip my floured loaves onto a paddle without scattering too much flour in the process. Well, I did say the question might seem silly. :blush:

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Wow

learning so much my head is thinking of hurting soon

I have a similar basket :

https://www.google.com/search?q=lined+bread+baskets+for+baking&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9b6aVa_PDYzS-QHsqY64Bg&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1141&bih=1066&dpr=1.2

the first one :

http://shop.mugnaini.com/linen-lined-bread-proofing-basket

TJ's in CA at the time had this a long time ago, and i more or less swooned,

at that time i was not going to do baking, but having lived in FR.  I knew these were , well what i'd lie

"" for the future  ""

the price dropped and dropped and i piked up 6 of these for 2.99 a piece

FD  I only tried them once,  but for 2.99

:biggrin:

maybe Ill start 'baking "  soon

outside it has to be now

thanks for reviving my interest !

• Like 1

Wow

learning so much my head is thinking of hurting soon

I have a similar basket :

https://www.google.com/search?q=lined+bread+baskets+for+baking&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=9b6aVa_PDYzS-QHsqY64Bg&ved=0CDYQsAQ&biw=1141&bih=1066&dpr=1.2

the first one :

http://shop.mugnaini.com/linen-lined-bread-proofing-basket

TJ's in CA at the time had this a long time ago, and i more or less swooned,

at that time i was not going to do baking, but having lived in FR.  I knew these were , well what i'd lie

"" for the future  ""

the price dropped and dropped and i piked up 6 of these for 2.99 a piece

FD  I only tried them once,  but for 2.99

:biggrin:

maybe Ill start 'baking "  soon

outside it has to be now

thanks for reviving my interest !

I believe Kerry lined all these baskets herself. I have one at home that I use frequently that she lined for me. Also saw some made from fortified paper of some sort that could be used over and over again. This was at the house of an eG member and she had brought them back from Europe. At the time they were very expensive. I have since seen them on an American site but I cannot remember Where.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

That meal looks delightful to me. I'm sure it was a very rare treat for the med student.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but how will you transfer those little loaves out of those beautifully lined baskets? Do you flip the loaves over onto a baking sheet and then transfer to a stone? (I'd have flour all over if I did that.) Or will you be able to pick them up once they're risen without deflating them?

Edit: maybe I'm overthinking the "place directly on the stone" comment. I flip my floured loaves onto a paddle without scattering too much flour in the process. Well, I did say the question might seem silly. :blush:

Smithy,

These baskets are well floured and well used. The dough slips out of them very easily. I understand your confusion though. I turn the baskets over onto a parchment lined pizza peel. I then slip them off the peel with the parchment onto the baking stone. I think it is hard to get your head around the fact that the top of these loaves was once the bottom! It is counter intuitive to the way most loaves are handled. I hope I haven't confused you more.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Nope, that clarified it perfectly. Thanks!

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpg

The bread turned out reasonably well. The largest loaf left with one of Kira's carers. Each was treated a little differently. The first was spritzed with water before being put onto the stone, covered with a stainless steel bowl and three large ice cubes tossed into the bottom of the oven. The second one (on the right in the photo) did not get spritzed. The third one I turned out into a parchment-lined bread tin did not spritz it and did not cover it. This one had some support from the tin and I think it has a better shape. However I am not a bit sure how much of a difference any of my other machinations made to the final result.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

The picanha in the cage from the Big Easy. We need to work on some useful accessories.

image.jpg

My dinner plate. Apparently our journey to vegetarian meals is proving a bit of a tortuous one. Kerry wanted to impress you by putting a sprig of parsley on the plate but I just wouldn't allow it. Our parsley is wanting.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

The rain woke me at 3 AM and continues unabated. My first thought is to return to bed with a snifter of brandy and a damn good police procedural. But since I have neither I shall see what I can do in the kitchen instead. I think I finally have all the necessary ingredients to attempt the Guinness Stout cake. A warm kitchen and the smell of something baking can only improve this miserable day. I have already put three steaks into the sous vide to be cooked (54.5 C x 2 hours) and then chilled down for later.

Edited to fix a typo

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

That storm system was here yesterday, and it was indeed a good day for long, slow cooking. I'm looking forward to seeing how that cake turns out.

• Like 1

That storm system was here yesterday, and it was indeed a good day for long, slow cooking. I'm looking forward to seeing how that cake turns out.

The rain has lowered my frustration tolerance level to zero so you may need to wait another day or so for the cake! I am sure all the ingredients are here somewhere but not within my reach or vision. Being vertically challenged and visually impaired in a kitchen that is not your own ....... I am just whining but that's what the rain does to me! I shall go in search of an attitude adjustment!

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Sorry the weather has you down.

I wonder if the Guinness cake is the same one my daughter and son-in-law asked us for for their casual after-faire-hours reception? I'm at work which means I'm away from my digital recipe files.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;