• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ideas for using Trader Joe's Morello cherries

rajoress

Hi all,

A colleague gave me a large jar of Trader Joe's Dark Morello cherries in light syrup and asked me to bake her something. She bought them to use in cocktails but thought they would be sweeter (closer to maraschino) so she gave them to me and challenged me to make something with them. I'd like to bring something in to work that's more individual servings than a pie or black forest cake - the first things that came to mind! Any ideas on cookies, scones, bars...? Should I just use them like other cherries? I know I can reduce the syrup and maybe add some cornstarch to thicken and then use that but not sure which direction to go in. Any ideas welcome!

Thanks so much!

Ruth

i use these for Cherry Crisp :  take any 'crisp' part  you like, and for the cherries I drain, add 'spices' appropriately and thicken the 'jus' w a little corn starch   this by guessing then make the crisp

if you have a cup-cake tin, and paper cup-caker-ers  by trial and error you can add some of the spices-thikened cherry mixture to the bottom and add Crisp to the top.

they might be difficult to eat   but tasty

I've used them in black forest cake (and in ice cream, but I thought that was not so successful, they're too wet). Drain the syrup, which is delicious. I put the syrup in a zip-loc and freeze for later use. Haven't done this in a while, but I reduced the syrup, cooked with star anise and cloves. Very nice over sponge or pound cakes, actually it's nice on anything (or all by itself). The basics were from Richard Sax's Classic Home Desserts. :wub:

This

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149972-regulars-love-em-or-pain-in-the-neck/?p=1995774

Is an amazing recipe that I used to make for my husband and that I had almost forgotten. Just replace the rum with cherry syrup, replace the cranberries with carefully drained cherries and follow the rest of the recipe. It's expensive because of the marzippan but so worth it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/149972-regulars-love-em-or-pain-in-the-neck/?p=1995774

Is an amazing recipe that I used to make for my husband and that I had almost forgotten. Just replace the rum with cherry syrup, replace the cranberries with carefully drained cherries and follow the rest of the recipe. It's expensive because of the marzippan but so worth it.

Sorry, but I don't see a recipe there, only a compaint.

Sorry, but I don't see a recipe there, only a compaint.

Apologies. I usually check my links much more carefully. Try this

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/baking_and_desserts/marzipan_bars.php

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you all for the ideas. I ended up making cherry almond scones. I used some of the liquid to make the glaze and then thickened the liquid, added in the remaining cherries and made a spread for the scones. My colleague and the rest of the gang loved them!

Thanks again,

Ruth

This won't use the cherries up very fast, but my husband loves to add a splash of the juice and a couple of the cherries to his Manhattan cocktails. I'm not sure if that is an affront to Manhattan drinkers or not, but he loves the addition. 

• Like 1