• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Falling Back on Island Time

Anna N

I am not sure that freeze dried bread is meant to be reconstituted but thank you for your efforts in trying to do so. Did you try eating a bit of it before you wet it, etc.? If so, what was the texture, taste, etc.? Could you imagine a use for it in its freeze-dried, non-reconstituted form?

One of those things that I simply had to try - wasn't convinced it would work.  Mr Mike feels it's not practical.  In it's dry form it tasted like a crouton.  Not sure of it's use in it's dry form.  I suppose you could make stuffing and FD it, then reconstitute.  Perhaps french toast?

• Like 1

Occasionally I have to do something just because I can.  I have no need of little tea sandwiches - however at the grocery store the other day we noticed again this pullman loaf cut lengthwise that President's Choice produces.  Of course that dragged my memory back to all the little tea sandwiches that my mother and I used to put together for various church and social functions when I was a kid. 

At the two ren faires we participate in, in the afternoon we do a for-pay Tea With The Queen. Actually, they do it, I stay far away. Fresh-baked cream scones, tea sandwiches, dessert and of course tea. The tea sandwiches are made on crusted Pullman bread and cut into fourths. There are cucumber, watercress, egg salad and smoked salmon sandwiches. a quarter sandwich of each variety is served to each customer. Since my wife and friends are part of the kitchen crew I get the leftover smoked salmon quarters (big yum). It isn't part of my childhood but I really enjoy those sandwiches.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I hope there is a Weight Loss Clinic near by for the Staff when you leave.

:biggrin:

Two nurses didn't take a brownie this morning - not quite the same thing?

• Like 1

Feeling somewhat nostalgic and left out of the whole dainty tea sandwich thing, I determined that I would make my own. No smoked salmon, no Pullman bread, but I did have a freshly baked loaf of white sandwich bread, a sharp bread knife, an English cucumber and some determination.

image.jpg

Salmon salad and cucumber on thinly sliced bread. Certainly not a fit for a queen but perfectly adequate for me!

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

So Kerry managed to escape long enough to have a pot of tea and a bite of lunch but then rushed back into emerg.

After my lunch I sliced up and vacuum packaged some chops from the pork roast we got from the farm.

image.jpg

These are now happily swimming in 60°C water in the sous vide. At dinner Kerry will sear them on the little green egg. As a go-with I took the cauliflower for which Kerry had other plans, steamed it with some garlic cloves, threw it into the Thermomix with some butter and I don't think I will be in too much trouble come dinner time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

It will reheat very nicely.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, that cauliflower looks absolutely delicious. I get real cravings for that particular vegetable, no other. I can eat a whole large head at one sitting if I don't watch out - just steamed with a bit of salt and pepper, or roasted with a bit of olive oil. Can I ask though why you didn't just do that whole process right in the TMX?

Anna, that cauliflower looks absolutely delicious. I get real cravings for that particular vegetable, no other. I can eat a whole large head at one sitting if I don't watch out - just steamed with a bit of salt and pepper, or roasted with a bit of olive oil. Can I ask though why you didn't just do that whole process right in the TMX?

Because I can't think outside the box? I was following a recipe that didn't call for a TMX? Kerry was at work and not here to point out what was so obvious? Because so few of my neurons still work?

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Big Wow on those Porky Chops

I have no idea where they came from on the Piggy

two 'light' areas  and some many more delicious 'dark areas'

Id be interested in your 'On the Plate' views on how those to 'area's' taste.

bon appetit !~

Big Wow on those Porky Chops

I have no idea where they came from on the Piggy

two 'light' areas  and some many more delicious 'dark areas'

Id be interested in your 'On the Plate' views on how those to 'area's' taste.

bon appetit !~

Ass end of the loin I think.  They were quite wonderful.

• Like 1

Feeling somewhat nostalgic and left out of the whole dainty tea sandwich thing, I determined that I would make my own. No smoked salmon, no Pullman bread, but I did have a freshly baked loaf of white sandwich bread, a sharp bread knife, an English cucumber and some determination.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Salmon salad and cucumber on thinly sliced bread. Certainly not a fit for a queen but perfectly adequate for me!

But you're supposed to cut off the crusts and quarter them diagonally corner-to-corner into triangles!!!!

:smile::wink::biggrin:

But you're supposed to cut off the crusts and quarter them diagonally corner-to-corner into triangles!!!!

:smile::wink::biggrin:

No no no no no! That's only for queens. My Gran promised me that if I ate the crusts I would get curly hair. It must surely happen any day now. I know she wouldn't lie to me.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

No no no no no! That's only for queens. My Gran promised me that if I ate the crusts I would get curly hair. It must surely happen any day now. I know she wouldn't lie to me.

Heh.

Edited by huiray (log)

Yeah, I actually like the crusts for their caramelly flavor and a bit of tough texture that they introduce on sandwich breads. You go Anna!

I have SO followed the Manatoulin excursions between you two friends for SO many years!

I'm sad this outing seems to be drawing to a close way too soon for most of us who hang on vicariously.

Thanks for the memories and the STUNNING photographs.

May the "Ladies Who Lunch" rock on FOREVER!

Thank You!

• Like 4

> ^ . . ^ <