• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Would You Do With...

Shelby

Don't know if this would work, but riff on arancini. Since they look to be sort of golf ball size...cut in half, scoop center out with melon baller, put a cube of mozz in, stick halves back together and toothpick to hold. Egg wash, bread crumb, deep fry. Serve with marinara.

Eggplant parm in a ball!

That sounds interesting!

Shelby - when you get ready to use one of you little eggplants can you cut it in half and let us see the skin/flesh/seed ratio?

Yes!  Definitely.

I'll be using them either tomorrow or the next day.  I have a few things that needed to be used up first.

Adorable eggplant. I like them halved in any coconut milk based curry. The ones I have had can have a high proportion of seed to flesh but the seeds are itty bitty and add a nice textural element. 

You were right!  I didn't add any curry spice, but the coconut milk=DELICIOUS.  It was my first time cooking with it.  

I'd cut them in halves and make a stir fry where I crisp them in oil then add a sauce of: hoisin sauce, chili paste, rice wine and garlic. -Just a light glaze of sauce.

I kinda did a riff on this with the coconut milk.

When I look at your eggplants, I just think Thailand and Vietnam. I've never actually come across these in China, although they are no doubt available somewhere.

No specific recipes but I'd be searching Google  for "Thai eggplant" or "Vietnam eggplant" etc. Also, try substituting "aubergine" for "eggplant" to get to even more.

Thank you!!!  That's how I found the recipe I used.  It was called Vietnamese Braised Eggplant from Food and Wine.

The mini-eggplant parm sliders idea intrigues me - it does sound nice.  It would make for nice appetizers too.

I tend to think of these small round eggplants as "Thai eggplants" and treat them accordingly, as I suggested above.  In fact, they could be (and do look like) the purple-streaked variety of the more commonly found green/white Thai eggplants. (See here and here as examples) There are some other varieties also which resemble them, although slightly elongated/ovoid ones are what I would see in my mind's eye there.**  After Sylvia's suggestion is tried perhaps you might consider doing something in a Thai style...?  (You don't need *all* the ingredients in a particular recipe to get an idea of what the dish would be like, IMO, or to do it "in the style of..." :smile:  )

I like to retain the "crunch" of eggplants like these (seeds and all) when I cook them in suitable dishes, as opposed to cooking them till they are "almost dissolving" in the way one would do with the larger and/or long eggplants (including the big(ger) ovoid ones commonly found in supermarkets in the USA).  So, for example, when I make a version of Tom Yum soup I would put the halved (or quartered) eggplants - like these - into the simmering soup almost at the end so that they are just cooked (followed soon after by baby okra/Lady's Fingers (and shrimp/prawns) so both the eggplants and the okra remained "crunchy" but still just cooked/not raw).

** ETA: such as the variety called "Fairy Tale"; or "Zebra".  I've got small, ovoid ones that look like round ones only slightly "pulled" into an ovoid shape, from a local grower in one of the Farmers' Markets here.

Thank you SO much for all of the descriptions.  It really helped!

Shelby - when you get ready to use one of you little eggplants can you cut it in half and let us see the skin/flesh/seed ratio?

They are quite seedy--but I like the seeds in eggplant.

photo 1.JPG

Cute little suckers, aren't they?

Vietnamese braised eggplant

photo 2.JPG

We really liked this.  Very different from anything I've ever made.  The coconut milk added such a wonderful flavor.  The eggplant still had a slight "bite" to them, but were tender.  Just the right amount of heat--it kind of snuck up on you.  I added some oyster mushrooms and some peppers from the garden that I needed to use and I served it over plain white rice (I would have used jasmine rice if I had some).

photo 3.JPG

P.S.  I'm having more for breakfast--it's even better this morning :)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

Great items. I find the baby bok choy has a gentle sweetness and enjoy it as a soup in a poultry broth so........the duck wing tips could be roasted and turned into a quick broth. Then simmer the sliced bok choy along with sliced carrots and noodles of choice plus any meat you can shred from the duck, adjusting seasonings/adding herbs  to your liking. I like the sweet earthy bite of the carrot as a partner. 

The wings themselves are enjoyable simply roasted with salt and pepper or more gussied up like this decadent take on hot wings I saw http://www.jamesbeard.org/recipes/duck-wings-asian-chili-sauce

• Like 1

Annnnnnnnd, another trip to the market today brought a couple new items........

Duck wings

attachicon.gifphoto 1.jpg

and baby bok choy

attachicon.gifphoto 2.jpg

I tend to make duck stock with the wings.  A recent example.  An earlier example and some additional chit-chat on that one.   If the wings are meaty enough they can be seasoned and grilled just like chicken wings and eaten like them; or in stir-fried/sautéed dishes just like with chicken wings - the taste would be duck-y, of course. :-)

That variety of bok choy (with the light green stems, rather than white) are often called "Shanghai Bok Choy".  Um, I wouldn't call them "baby" bok choy myself - but then I am used to seeing and buying much, MUCH smaller plants than those shown if they are to be called "baby bok choy".  Stir-fry them.  Simplest - with garlic, screaming hot pan and oil...and do not overcook - they need to retain both their color and crunch, for my taste, anyway.  Another simple way to use them is to blanch in oiled hot/boiling water (I've described this elsewhere here on eG) and use them as the vegetable accompaniment in various E/SE Asian noodle dishes or similar, or just drizzle with the sauce of your choice (e,g, oyster sauce) and eat as-is.  One can use them in stews and braises as the "vegetable", and they then become soft and "dissolving".  Many folks like it this way but for myself I don't.  They can also be used as a salad green - simply wash and chop up into bite-sized pieces and toss into your favoraite salad, green or otherwise - this would not work in every combination of ingredients, of course --- you should nibble on some of it and get an idea of the basic taste of it.

• Like 1

My sleazy-easy baby bok choy recipe is to cut them in half lengthwise and place them cut side up in a steamer with hoisin sauce over them. Steam until done. (ducks for cover...)

• Like 2

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I have grown a lot of the small eggplants, the white ones, the golden and the lavender, all don't grow much larger than an egg.

I cut them in half, toss with oil and seasonings - I often use a little za'atar seasoning.

My Griddler with the grill plates (with ridges) is heated to 400° and the split eggplants are placed cut side down on the bottom plate and the top plate is pressed down for about 4 minutes, which grills them to the perfect doneness.

They are tossed with chopped tomatoes and fried onions and stuffed into pita pockets and drizzled with yogurt dressing. 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Were it winter, I probably would have made stock out of the duck wings....but it's summer....Kansas.....hot......

I ran across a recipe online that marinated the duck wings in hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic etc.  I thought I had hoisin sauce....buuuut, I didn't.  So, I made my own.  I have no idea if the recipe I followed was authentic, but it included soy sauce, peanut butter, honey, rice wine vinegar, oil and Chinese hot sauce (not having a clue what that is, I subbed ground fresh chili paste).  I figured I might as well just gussy up the sauce a bit more with the garlic, ginger etc. and throw the wings in the whole thing to marinate.  The sauce was delicious. After the wings marinated for a few hours, I roasted them in the oven with the rest of the sauce poured on top.  The result was quite good.  Wings were sticky and yummy.  Not a ton of meat, though.  I think I'd like the sauce even better on chicken wings.

I was going to do the bok choy, too, but I ended up having too much food so those were put aside for another day.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 4

Annnnnnnnd, another trip to the market today brought a couple new items........

Duck wings

attachicon.gifphoto 1.jpg

and baby bok choy

attachicon.gifphoto 2.jpg

Oooooh ooooh, Shelby. Look what I found in my local store

image.jpg

I grabbed two packages and have them defrosting now. I am going to look for a recipe that treats them very much like buffalo wings but with non-Western flavours.

ETA. Yours look very good. I will do something similar.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to start looking for duck wings at our grocery stores! Shelby, that food looked glorious.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I dunno, seems like roasting these wings would generate even more heat than making stock...just sayin'.  ;-)

Try one of the recipes for Vietnamese (grilled or whatever) chicken wings for the duck wings.  Just google it.

• Like 1

I dunno, seems like roasting these wings would generate even more heat than making stock...just sayin'.  ;-)

Try one of the recipes for Vietnamese (grilled or whatever) chicken wings for the duck wings.  Just google it.

Not to be contrary but it's bloody cold where I am! I just grabbed a sweater. Duckl wings with a little Added heat will not go amiss. Thank you for the link.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah, but soup inside my stomach generates heat for me ;)

My family usually pickles these types of eggplants...don't have the exact recipe but I know they soak in a brine before they go into a vinegar solution with fish sauce, chilis, garlic, and a bit of sugar

• Like 1

That variety of bok choy (with the light green stems, rather than white) are often called "Shanghai Bok Choy".  Um, I wouldn't call them "baby" bok choy myself - but then I am used to seeing and buying much, MUCH smaller plants than those shown if they are to be called "baby bok choy".

Shelby,  here are some plants of baby Shanghai bok choy, taken out from a bag of them, that I picked up today from my usual Chinese grocery.  :-)

DSCN2450a_800.jpg

• Like 2

Vietnamese braised eggplant

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

We really liked this.  Very different from anything I've ever made.  The coconut milk added such a wonderful flavor.  The eggplant still had a slight "bite" to them, but were tender.  Just the right amount of heat--it kind of snuck up on you.  I added some oyster mushrooms and some peppers from the garden that I needed to use and I served it over plain white rice (I would have used jasmine rice if I had some).

Oh that looks delicious! Is this the recipe you used? http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-braised-eggplant-with-coconut-milk-and-scallions

My favourite eggplant dish is fried eggplant and red bell peper, stewed in a coconut sauce with lemon grass and lemon, called terrong. (Yes, generic name I know, just got the family recipe of a friend) You need the longer and bigger variety for this dish though. It takes some time and effort, but it is one of my favourite comfort food dishes ever.

Anyone has any suggestions for using leftover waterchestnuts (from a can)? 

Shelby,  here are some plants of baby Shanghai bok choy, taken out from a bag of them, that I picked up today from my usual Chinese grocery.  :-)

attachicon.gifDSCN2450a_800.jpg

Oh my!  Mine are like GIANT bok choy compared to yours.  They look so tender and good.  You used those in the last dish I looked at of yours--I forget if it was on the dinner or lunch thread.

Oh that looks delicious! Is this the recipe you used? http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/quick-braised-eggplant-with-coconut-milk-and-scallions

My favourite eggplant dish is fried eggplant and red bell peper, stewed in a coconut sauce with lemon grass and lemon, called terrong. (Yes, generic name I know, just got the family recipe of a friend) You need the longer and bigger variety for this dish though. It takes some time and effort, but it is one of my favourite comfort food dishes ever.

Anyone has any suggestions for using leftover waterchestnuts (from a can)? 

It really was good.  I want some more to make it again.  Your dish sounds delicious as well!  Yes, that is the recipe I used.

I, too, would like ideas for using water chestnuts. 

On the water chesnuts. Of course once you have had fresh ones you can't go back to the tinny canned ones......but that is not the question here.  Shelby I see you making egg rolls - if they are homemade you could try them finely chopped in the stuffing. Actually any stuffing sort of mixture (even mushrooms) where you might enjoy just a bit of crunch texture without really altering the flavor. That would also apply to salads like potato and macaroni.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

My leftovers are from stuffing wontons, I really like the texture in those. Never thought of using them for egg rolls or potato salad, thanks! Especially since I already wanted to make a Japanese inspired potato salad this week.

I do see fresh waterchestnuts around sometimes, but I wonder how hard to handle they are?

Speakingh of duck wings, one thing that has puzzled me for years. In Chinese stores, you can find boneless duck feet. How do they do it?

dcarch

http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/02/how-to-debone-duck-feet.html

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

My leftovers are from stuffing wontons, I really like the texture in those. Never thought of using them for egg rolls or potato salad, thanks! Especially since I already wanted to make a Japanese inspired potato salad this week.

I do see fresh waterchestnuts around sometimes, but I wonder how hard to handle they are?

i bought fresh water chestnuts once. My verdict was that they were a PITA to handle. Furthermore, the taste and texture were quite reminiscent of jicama, which is easier and cheaper for me to find than fresh water chestnuts, and a lot less trouble to prep! Heresy it might be, to some of you, but for my uses it's fine.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Good to know beforehand, as I would probably have to leave this task to my SO. He'd better be in good mood before I make him do another PITA task, especially when he knows and has enjoyed these babies out of a convenient can :raz:

I'll keep my eyes open for jicama then, although it's not that common here either.

Thanks Melissa!