• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

Good morning. Breakfast is CI's 6 1/2 minute soft boiled egg on toastj:

image.jpg

A liitle more cooked than I really like but not bad.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

which Rx did you use for the IBP ?  there seem to be several on the web

looks tasty to me C!

Will need to let Kerry answer your question on the Impossible Brownie Pie.

Looks like cooking will have to give way to housekeeping today. Wasn't until I grabbed my breakfast eggs from the fridge that I noticed our butter supply was pretty much non-existent. Very few of my planned cooking and baking projects can get far without butter. I will do a few housekeeping tasks and then see what I can get up to in the kitchen that doesn't require nature's golden bounty.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Impossible Brownie Pie

• 4 eggs
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate melted
  • ½ cup bisquickÆ baking mix
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ¼ cup soft butter
  • ¾ cup nuts

350 degrees, greased pieplate. Buzz all buts nuts in blender. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Serve with ice cream.

Notes:Replace bisquick with 1/2 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 3-4 tbsp butter.

• Like 2

Will need to let Kerry answer your question on the Impossible Brownie Pie.

Looks like cooking will have to give way to housekeeping today. Wasn't until I grabbed my breakfast eggs from the fridge that I noticed our butter supply was pretty much non-existent. Very few of my planned cooking and baking projects can get far without butter. I will do a few housekeeping tasks and then see what I can get up to in the kitchen that doesn't require nature's golden bounty.

Want me to arrange an urgent butter delivery?  I'm sure the OPP would help out.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Haha 1

Want me to arrange an urgent butter delivery? I'm sure the OPP would help out.

No thank you. After I answer the door to an OPP officer I will assume that you have been killed on the highway, have a heart attack and the butter will be wasted.

But can you grab lemons while you grab the butter!

Edited to ask for lemons.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Here you go. It has been out of the oven for some time and looked somewhat more "plump" earlier. attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This recipe reminded me of one that I tried years ago after eating it at a Pampered Chef party (shudder--never ever again.  never (the party, not the recipe)).....at least I think I was there....it's been a long time LOL.  Anyway, it's similar.  It uses broccoli, mayo and refrigerated crescent roll dough.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=10047

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 1

This recipe reminded me of one that I tried years ago after eating it at a Pampered Chef party (shudder--never ever again.  never (the party, not the recipe)).....at least I think I was there....it's been a long time LOL.  Anyway, it's similar.  It uses broccoli, mayo and refrigerated crescent roll dough.

http://www.pamperedchef.com/recipe_search/recipe.jsp?id=10047

I have also seen a BLT chicken braid topped with lettuce and tomatoes. It looks remarkably attractive.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

So in lieu of cooking I continued my project of labeling and inventorying the ingredients here in the townhouse. Are hoping to avoid bringing up more of what is already here. Last year I labeled all these spices on the sides but if we store them as we do that is pointless. And so I began the task of labeling them on the top also:

image.jpg

As I label them I dictate into my iPhone and make a list.

It didn't take long to get tired of that! I recalled when I opened the fridge this morning that our mayo supply was low and that it had reached its Best By date. Making mayo is to me a form of magic and much more interesting than labeling spices. Here's the Ingredients:

image.jpg

If you have never successfully made mayonnaise, try this. You can find the recipe and the video on Serious Eats. I tried every other recipe I could find and failed with all of them. This one works for me every time. And you don't need to worry about things being room temperature or pouring oil slowly into a processor or other container.

Here's the finished product in its jar:

image.jpg

I did not write a new date on the lid because it will be used up before we go or it will be thrown out before we go.

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

We don't use nearly as much mayo as we used to. Back when we could use up a batch before it would go bad. Now our everyday mayo is Best Foods (Hellman's) but we do still make our own mayo for vacation and other special occasions. But for me - no dijon, I just don't like it. Around here we call it Grey Poop. I use good old prepared yellow mustard.

About the Braided Chicken Pot Pie, I have decided to use the soup when I try it about 3 months from now. It will be 96F today.

edited to add: When I started making mayo about 34 years ago I used a blender. Soon after that we got our KitchenAid stand mixer and I started using that instead.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

We don't use nearly as much mayo as we used to. Back when we could use up a batch before it would go bad. Now our everyday mayo is Best Foods (Hellman's) but we do still make our own mayo for vacation and other special occasions. But for me - no dijon, I just don't like it. Around here we call it Grey Poop. I use good old prepared yellow mustard.

About the Braided Chicken Pot Pie, I have decided to use the soup when I try it about 3 months from now. It will be 96F today.

edited to add: When I started making mayo about 34 years ago I used a blender. Soon after that we got our KitchenAid stand mixer and I started using that instead.

Many mayo recipes seem to make an enormous amount. This still makes one cup which when there's only one or two people in the household is still a lot of mayo. It keeps for two weeks in the refrigerator and I bet if you treated it with care and used only cleane implements to scoop it out it will probably last longer. But I like to err on the side of caution.

I feel about yellow mustard the way you feel about Dijon!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Yellow vs dijon.

Depends on the application.

Yellow is good on a hot dog/hamburger, in deviled eggs, and on a liverwurst sandwich on rye with swiss cheese and onion.

Dijon is good for everything else.

• Like 1

If you have never successfully made mayonnaise, try this. You can find the recipe and the video on Serious Eats. I tried every other recipe I could find and failed with all of them. This one works for me every time. And you don't need to worry about things being room temperature or pouring oil slowly into a processor or other container.

I am absolutely going to try this one! Thanks so much for posting the details. Do you ever add in EVOO or just stick with the sunflower/canola oil? 

Yellow vs dijon.

Depends on the application.

Yellow is good on a hot dog/hamburger, in deviled eggs, and on a liverwurst sandwich on rye with swiss cheese and onion.

Dijon is good for everything else.

Edited because I hit the post button too soon.

You and I must accept the fact that we are simply incompatible.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

I am absolutely going to try this one! Thanks so much for posting the details. Do you ever add in EVOO or just stick with the sunflower/canola oil?

Had a bad experience using a recipe that called for 100% extra Virgin olive oil. It was so disgusting I have avoided olive oil in mayonnaise since. I bet if you blended it in carefully with a whisk it would be fine.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch was a bit of a revelation. Yesterday I cooked some chicken thighs in the combi oven. There were leftovers which have been in the fridge overnight. As expected yesterday's crispy skin had turned to flab. In a moment of enlightened thinking I wondered what would happen if I put them back in the combi oven at the same temperature and with steam as yesterday. Really was not expecting much. Gave the thigh 10 minutes. Lo and behold the skin was crispy! Not quite as crispy as yesterday but very acceptable. I ate the thigh with some apricot chutney that I bought just because I'm a sucker for attractive, reusable containers.

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

"""    I put them back in the combi oven at the same temperature and with steam as yesterday. Really was not expecting much. Gave the thigh 10 minutes. Lo and behold the skin was crispy!  """

very interesting.   I dont have the problem w flabby skin.  i eat all the skin while initially crispy.  I remove excess 'flab' from the underside if there is any.

but thats a nifty trick.  added to " The Book of Combi "

did  10 min warm the CkTh 'through?'

Edited by rotuts (log)

That apricot chutney looks surprisingly purple. Is that a trick of the light?

Regarding olive oil in mayonnaise: Anna, you didn't specify the nature of your nasty experience (probably by choice) but Harold McGee noted that he couldn't get as stable an emulsion with olive oil as with vegetable oils. The last time I read about it, he didn't know why, but apparently it doesn't emulsify as well.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

"""    I put them back in the combi oven at the same temperature and with steam as yesterday. Really was not expecting much. Gave the thigh 10 minutes. Lo and behold the skin was crispy!  """

very interesting.   I dont have the problem w flabby skin.  i eat all the skin while initially crispy.  I remove excess 'flab' from the underside if there is any.

but thats a nifty trick.  added to " The Book of Combi "

did  10 min warm the CkTh 'through?'

Enough for me. About as much as I suspect most normal people would enjoy "hot" food. Not scalding, not lukewarm.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog