• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Lunch from a few days ago.

• Pork belly & lotus root soup.

Smashed garlic, corn oil, sliced pork belly, sea salt, water, simmer, "black" jujubes, honey jujubes, raw peanuts, dried Solomon's Seal rhizome slices ("yook chook"), dried small squid (rather than dried cuttlefish), simmer, sliced de-skinned lotus root, simmer, dried goji berries, simmer, seasoning adjusted.

• Deep-fried firm tofu slices.  Eaten w/ grated daikon, scallion "flowers", and Lingham's Thai  Hot Sauce.

• Soba, dressed w/ chopped green parts of scallions, katsuobushi, Izu oroshi-wasabi, hon-tsuyu.

DSCN1849a_800.jpg

DSCN1858b_800.jpg

DSCN1854c_800.jpg

DSCN1852c_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

20140620_113825_zps0839a3eb.jpg

We had fresh bratwurst , such a treat, fresh sausages are rare here.The common thing is  smoked, either warm or cold  and then fried or boiled. But there is one store that does make their own sausages with Swedish meat but they do cost a fair bit.  But it is midsummer so treating us to something yummy is  on the menu.  Happy midsummer  everyone!

• Like 2

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

A bit of this and a bit of that. Potato and broccoli cakes from breakfast, leftover lamb Bolognese from dinner last night and a side of Fuchsia Dunlop''s smashed radishes supplemented with some smashed cucumbers.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I was looking for something to do with minced chicken I had on hand. I was going to make tsukune, but then got really lazy, so I made it into a stir-fry with negi, eryngii mushroom and zucchini strips. I was making it for my son, so no salt and only a touch of soy went in. I served mine with a drizzle of soy, some sesame oil, and some chiffonaded basil stirred in. Dessert was cold dragon fruit.

photo-4.JPG

• Like 1

20140621_111906_zpsc333436b.jpg

My  lunch today was a piece of pie.  I used left overs  meat sauce ( didnt have the energy to make pizza rolls) and  heinz baked  beans and added  it to a pie crust, savoury custard on top and  then 5 minutes before done I added  crushed up taco shells and with some butter to make a crumble.  The pie was lovely, except for the fact I used another type of lactose free butter then I normally use and the crust tasted toffee biscuits.  Well now we know, in sweet stuff this  butter is ace in savoury I use the other brand.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

image.jpg

Freshly baked bread topped with leftover duck breast and roasted root vegetables.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Pressed tongue, coarse Braunschweiger, Westphalian ham [all from Claus']; rosemary mini-croccantini {La Panzanella], scallions, croissant [Fresh Market].

DSCN1883b_800.jpg

• Like 5

Italian sausage sandwich with sauteed onion and red pepper that were coated with a reduced balsamic vinegar pan sauce.

Potato salad with caramelized onions

onion pot salad.jpgIMG_20140622_123824_788.jpg

• Like 4

Baby zucchini w/ blossoms stuffed w/ a mixture of ricotta, Pecorino Romano, a bit of EV olive oil & finely chopped parsley.  Battered & deep-fried.  Eaten w/ fritters from the leftover batter.

DSCN1888b_800.jpg

• Like 2

20140623_115205_zpsd7146d69.jpg

My unhealthy lunch of herb and goat cheese mix, on lettuce leaf and tomatoes and pretzels and summer set vintage cheddar.

• Like 1

Liver & onions.

Liver was simply floured w/ a mixture of AP flour, ground black pepper, Redmond salt. (No soaking in milk, nope)  Pan-fried in the same pan in which the browned sliced shallots were done (with a bit more oil added).  Asparagus & baby garlic (sliced across the developing bulb into "coins") done in the pan after the liver.

DSCN1891b_800.jpg

Edited to correct syntax

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

huiray,

Liver and onions done so simply is one of my favourite meals.

image.jpg

Steamed salmon, carrots and re-heated leftover broccoli.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Welcome, shini. Your lunch looks very attractive.

My 2004 eG Blog

I had Burger king today...   My friend had to eat so he bought  burgers for him , he is diabetic and needed food asap and this would work.  I got a burger to, which was meh.  I have now eaten twice at burger king this year. So all in all  4 times over 6 years. I think I am safe.

I had Burger king today...   My friend had to eat so he bought  burgers for him , he is diabetic and needed food asap and this would work.  I got a burger to, which was meh.  I have now eaten twice at burger king this year. So all in all  4 times over 6 years. I think I am safe.

Safe from what exactly?

We had a   lovely classic Swedish dinner.  Falukorv on a roll with a fried egg.   My daughter was so happy she clapped her hands, ate the falukorv, the egg and nibble the roll , licked of the ketchup and  told me to shut up be cause it was sleepy time.

• Like 1