• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

• Romaine lettuce w/ oyster sauce.

Romaine leaves hand-torn into pyrex bowl, drizzled w/ corn oil.  Just-boiled water poured over leaves+oil.  Steeped for 40-45 seconds or so while swishing w/ a pair of chopsticks.  Drained, transferred, dressed w/ oyster sauce [Lee Kum Kee] and ground white pepper.

DSCN1929a_400.jpgDSCN1931a_400.jpg

DSCN1934b_600.jpg

• Smoked kielbasa [Claus'] w/ sauerkraut.

Kielbasa pan-fried/lightly browned in pan w/ EV olive oil [California Ranch] on both sides.  Jarred sauerkraut [Hengstenberg] added to pan, distributed, covered for a minute.  Water added.  Some sea salt, rice vinegar [Maruchan], whole white peppercorns & fresh bay leaves went in. Covered, simmered for a while.

DSCN1926b_400.jpg

DSCN1939b_600.jpg

• Onions & potatoes.

Young candy onions cut into thick rounds pan-fried w/ EV olive oil.  Halved Peruvian Purple & Red Thumb potatoes added in, tossed/stirred around a bit.  Salted.  Dried thyme added.  Water added, the pan/pot covered and the stuff cooked till done.

DSCN1941b_600.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

• Leftover Kielbasa & Sauerkraut.  Onions & potatoes augmented w/ young zucchini and more (quartered) young candy onions.

• Vella Dry Jack cheese & crackers.

DSCN1955b_800.jpg

DSCN1957a_800.jpg

• Like 3

Hainanese Chicken Rice.

Yellow-skin chicken used.  Red chard in a portion of the poaching stock.  Ginger-scallion sauce.  Chilli sauce (Kokita Sambal Bangkok + Lingham's Hot Sauce + Kong Yen "aged gourmet" rice vinegar + chopped scallions).  Simplified rice - Basmati + the poaching stock w/ lots of the smashed ginger included.

DSCN2021a_800.jpg

DSCN2027a_800.jpg

• Like 4

We had home made burgers , the bread was just  velvet loaf turned into velvet rolls instead and then a lovely  ground beef patty.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

My daughter asked first for  Lobster mousse, she found it in a cook book, I told her that we didnt have a lobster so  she settled for  sausage burgers.  So as the kind and loving mum I am ( read too bloody tired from migraines), I  fried up some  falukorv slices and  put them in a bun , happy kid and  a happy mum.  And a very confused husband  why we got sandwiches for lunch.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Couple of lunches.

--------------------------------

• Remainder of the chicken from the Hainanese chicken from previously (see above), with a new batch of rice cooked with plenty of extra chicken fat (rendered in situ in the rice pot - stovetop; chicken fat from the butcher), generous chopped smashed garlic (heirloom variety), the poaching stock from previously plus smashed ginger, basmati rice.  Plus scallion "flowers" & chopped scallions.

• Chopped fresh kale simmered in the leftover poaching stock.

DSCN2032a_800.jpg

--------------------------------

• Cipriani tagliarelle tossed in the pan w/ a sauté of caramelized sliced shallots, finely sliced crushed garlic, sliced de-skinned ripe tomato, diced yellow patty pan squash, chopped parsley (lots); and finally pre-sautéed & reserved zucchini blossoms (halved).  Seasoning adjusted during the process.

DSCN2039a_800.jpg

• Like 2

• Chicken broth.  (Bell & Evans chicken)  With some shredded chicken dark meat & skin, red carrots (red color fades a lot) and leafy celery that was simmered along w/ the chicken in the broth.

DSCN2047a_800.jpg

• Roma beans, halved lengthwise; sautéed w/ smashed garlic in EV olive oil, a chopped-up ripe tomato & sea salt.  Nothing else was added.

DSCN2049a_800.jpg

• Tarentaise cheese [Thistle Hill Farm].

DSCN2052a_800.jpg

Yesterday  my daughter and I   made pizza,  she made sure that even daddy who was at school got  two pieces for lunch.  He got it for lunch today,  she added everything he likes which was cheese, tomato sauce, ham, chicken, corn, jalepeno , chili flakes and srichacha , I really hope he can eat it today.     She had  corn, pea, carrot, chicken, ham  , cheese and tomato sauce on hers and  she added a tomato  and some capers on mine.     That was interesting lunch

• Like 1

20140708_111917_zps923d5b7e.jpg

My daughter asked for burgers and promised she wouldnt lick me if she got it, that sounded like a good deal.  So  starting weight of the burger before frying was 105 grams and we had the  millstone like rye bread as the bun.  YUM.

• Like 2

20140709_113526_zpsc6a62685.jpg

We were supposed to have leftover of yesterdays dinner but my daughter had a fit while we where in town today  buying cheese. If we buy cheese we have isterband for dinner, that what we normally do and she wouldnt take a no.  I am a softy sometimes and I am also happy she doesnt beg for  big chains crappy food places but goes for fine food.   So isterband, with boiled potatoes, lingonberry jam and pickles  got to be our lunch.

Hiyayakko.  Pressed firm tofu, grated ginger, chopped scallions, katsuobushi, diluted Higeta Honzen soy sauce.

With pickled scallions & Japanese cucumbers; and pickled rakkyo (Allium chinense).

• Leftover pork spare ribs steamed w/ salted turnip - diluted w/ water & rewarmed (minus the leafy stalks, all picked out).  Eaten w/ min6 sin3.

DSCN2079a_800.jpg

DSCN2082a_800.jpg

Mitch, that salad looks like the essence of summer.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cold poached and shredded chicken with scallion, cucumber, red pepper, in a lime and chilli dressing with a little EVOO. There was meant to be lettuce with it, but despite my distinctly remembering picking some up at the market this morning, it has mysteriously disappeared.

I ate four.

lime chicken wraps 1.jpg

lime chicken wraps 2.jpg

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Today Soup and Salad for lunch!! First the Salad:

Roasted golden Beets w/ Tarragon/Beet juice/ Sherry Vinaigrette with MontChevre Goat cheese

I used Gran Capirete 50 Sherry Vinegar

IMG_7444.JPG

• Like 4

Its good to have Morels

And Now the Soup:

Spicy Carrot Soup  _ used a Pozole Stock to which I simmer carrots and celery, add a touch of pork and Liguria Giardiniera from a jar and a squeeze of lime

IMG_7448.JPG

• Like 3

Its good to have Morels

We had a picnic down by the river, so lovely and nice.  Ham and cheese pirgoies,  Swedish  cinnamon roll, chocolate rolls,  strawberry wafers and strawberry juice.  Which I could show you but most of the pictures my daughter is in it and she is not for you eyes, well you get to see her hands but that is it.

• Like 1

20140713_110837_zps6826fea5.jpg

Lunch today  was made by me and my daughter,   pasta bonanza  with  fried falukorv  ( sausage from Falun) and ketchup.    Pasta bonanza must be the most  useful but not a  recipe I gotten from a person during a recipe exchange,  all  it is  cooked pasta of different shapes cooked and then a little butter over.  It is  a great  idea for using  the last shells in different packages . Just start boiling the one with longest cooking time, then add the pasta as you go so you end up everything cooked at the of it all.

• Like 2

CATPOET  add a little gated cheese to pasta bonanza .... yum and I love butter and ketchup on pasta.

Garlicky Italian sausage with peppers and onion.  Hmmmmm...... lunch or dinner?  Linner!

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites