• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2014)

huiray

Germany and Spain under the sun: Strammer Max and Huevos con Chorizo.

The black chorizo is called 'morcilla achorizada Iberica', which is a little sweet but that's because it contains smoked pimenton dulce. The normal chorizo is a bit spicy. Both bought (at the market's butcher's shops) in Alicante, Spain, as well as my tiny paella pan.

Strammer Max got its silly name in Berlin, is a warm anytime-snack. Three things always always go together on bread: meat, a fried egg and gherkins. (Meat could be anything one fancies such as smoked Black Forest ham, roast beef, or Leberkäse.)

ibiqtE2fICwL0J.JPG

iUxGoxubt1g5.JPG

i0MCROqEBjPAB.JPG

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 5

I have about 12 days to eat everything in the fridge. It's almost empty, still 2 more wedges of old cheese like this but a lot more expensive and exquisite. I hope they survive 6 weeks at room temperature whilst I'm away.

These are some of the very last things:

im0mjK7hjAZ2L.JPG

iHVycz7An3JEi.JPG

Lunch in  the sun

ipZ4YT6LNcRe5.JPG

• Like 3

Why are you going to store them at room temperature while you are away? Vacuum sealed and refrigerated would certainly be a better option.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

image.jpg

Homemade broth, homemade spicy lamb balls, spinach and egg with some Ramen noodles.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't have a vacuum sealer and am turning off the fridge.

Why bother turning off the refrigerator for six weeks? They don't use that much electricity and it would certainly be worth it rather than risk losing your cheese and many other perishable condiments.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Clearly, I am neither a food stylist nor photographer but these were so good I'm sharing the picture anyway!

Deviled eggs topped with bacon jam and garlic chives.

PS. Any advice on how to make the bacon jam look less like dog poop would be appreciated as I would like to serve these to company some time. I'm pretty sure it is too thick to pipe.

deviledeggs.jpg

• Like 4

The dog poop in your area is considerably more attractive than it is here!

Try a baby quenelle.  Reasonable instructions, with photos, here, or an old eG discussion here.

• Like 1

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

On the bacon jam - perhaps put it in the bottom as a surprise!  Folks generally do the eggs as a single or double bite and I imagine that would incorporate the taste the same as on top. 

• Like 1

Lunch today was odd. I was invited to partake of lunch by the president of one of the better local hospitals. He trained in the USA and speaks OK English - a nice guy. Also there was my good friend, his secretary and she is also the official hospital translator. There was a visiting European doctor (retired), who has been in China for a whole three weeks. I was included for being the resident foreigner in town (actually there are more).

He proceeded to lecture the hospital president, his secretary and myself on the Chinese health system and it's economics and politics. He shouted in terrible English and banged his fist to emphasise every word. Arrogant, aggressive and almost always factually wrong. 

We all tried to ignore him which wasn't easy and got stuck into Spicy Eggplant with Minced/Ground Pork, Beef with Bamboo Shoots, Congealed Pig's Blood fried with Green Onions, Mixed Vegetable Stir Fry, Pork Slivers with Mushroom, Rice and Cold Beer (It's hot here!)

The European doctor then proceeded to lecture me on the UK constitution. When I questioned him on one minor point, he claimed to have read the Constitution many times, something of a miracle given that the UK famously does NOT have a written constitution.

Nice food but a lunch totally ruined by an idiot.

Grrr.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Wow!  You grow watermelon!  I'd love to try that next year.  How much space is needed?  What kind of heat/moisture do they need?

Hey Shel_B!

See my post here in the gardening section

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/145733-gardening-2013–2014/?p=1984498

• Like 2

Liver & onions.  It looks very dark but no it wasn't burned. :-)  The red onions I sautéed were very red and the liver (seasoned floured; I went heavy on the flouring too) went into the pan next.

DSCN2583a_800.jpg

• Like 1

That looks beautiful, liuzhou. Thank you for that link; the dressing isn't the only thing that looks worth trying in that article.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpg

Bok choy, chicken breast (underneath are sweet potato noodles). Chili oil to perk it up.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• Franks [Claus'] w/ sauerkraut [bulk Hengstenberg; rinsed] & Rose Finn Apple fingerlings.  Franks "browned" in vegetable oil then the sauerkraut & potatoes layered in; cooked w/ water, rice vinegar, jozo mirin, ryori-shu, sea salt, Redmond salt, dashes of Maggi sauce (German), dried bay leaves.

• Kenny's Reserve Asiago, Headwaters Tomme & Parmigiano Reggiano cheeses; w/ mini-croccantini crackers.

DSCN2619a_800.jpg

DSCN2622a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 2

image.jpg

I am sure my lunches look like the same old same old. But I change out the noodles, change out the additions and change out the broth so every day is somewhat different. Consider it variations on a theme. It worked for Brahms!

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Fuzhou-type skinny wheat noodles (麵線; min6 sin3) with the remainder of the liver sauce from here re-simmered w/ fistfuls of trimmed coriander leaves & a heap of chopped scallions.  Seasoning adjusted.  Accompanied by chopped raw wong nga pak (Napa cabbage), leafy parts.

DSCN2624a_800.jpg

• Like 4

• Pan-fried (generous oil) sliced King Oyster mushrooms.

• Hatch chiles broiled, blistered skin stripped off, marinated overnight w/ EV olive oil, sea salt, hon-mirin [Takara].

• Whole-grain sesame seed lavash crackers (not pictured).

• Red seedless grapes, w/ Tarentaise cheese.

DSCN2634a_800.jpg

DSCN2639a_800.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

Another dish from Vedge. Peas and Carrots with Jamaican Curry. It would have been great to use thumbelina carrots and garden peas but even with supermarket carrots and frozen peas this dish is an eye-opener for those of us who have only eaten dull and tasteless vegan food. (Since I am neither vegan nor vegetarian I did use chicken stock and egg noodles but believe the dish would have been just as good with vegetable stock and pasta.)

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog