• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Absurdly, stupidly basic cooking questions (Part 2)

Pontormo

3 hours ago, pastrygirl said:

will they work with any heat-sealable bag?

that's a "maybe" - vacuum heat seal bags are typically a co-extrusion film.

high density polyethylene on the outside, low density poly on the inside.

the low density melts/aka "seals" at a lower temp, the high density poly / polyester outside prevents the heat sealing strip from simply cutting the bag into pieces....

the temps will depend on your make&model - also how new/tired&worn out the heat sealing mechanism/temp control is.

• Like 1

@pastrygirl

I\thank you for that pic.  I had the idea that was the bag you were talking g about.

especially w a bit of the textured bag ( vacuum sealer bags ) in that middle

or maybe not : depends on the pressure at the seal point.

as this is more plastic than a FRoodSaver default time and temp seal might

it might be helpful to be able to adjust the sealing time.

got a friend w a FoodSaver ?

a visit w Treats would workout for everybody.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DesertTinker said:

@pastrygirl Have you considered an impulse sealer (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)? No vacuum, but a better seal than folded and taped.

I do have an impulse sealer.  Sounds like manually squishing the air out and sealing that way is my best bet at this stage. 

thanks, all :)

• Like 2

On 10/22/2024 at 2:26 AM, pastrygirl said:

For people with Food Savers or other non-chamber vacuum sealers:  will they work with any heat-sealable bag?

I'm not doing sous vide or anything, just want a fast way to seal products & reduce air in bags that I already have.

I've done it with the bags my beef comes in. It can work but not very well. Sometimes still have a little air left but it can help for a few days.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Instead of blanching food using the traditional water method, has anyone used steam to blanch them?  I have the Anova and would like to steam blanch my vegetables prior to dehydration them.  Thank you.

I’ve done it before. It’s a bit less messy than the boiling water method, but it is a bit slower. Here’s what the National Center for Food Preservation recommends for method and times. It seems like it would be adaptable to the steam oven.

• Thanks 1