• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2013–)

eatrustic

What is the square bottle on the right sideways to the camera? I feel like I should know but I don't.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

It's an agricole called St Aubin. I had never heard of it before - apparently it's quite new. I'll let you know what it's like.

A friend of mine brought me a bottle from his biz trip to the island - good stuff! Not easy to find, I bet (certainly never seen it here)

It's an agricole called St Aubin. I had never heard of it before - apparently it's quite new. I'll let you know what it's like.

A friend of mine brought me a bottle from his biz trip to the island - good stuff! Not easy to find, I bet (certainly never seen it here)

Interesting. The only Mauritian rum I have seen readily available is the molasses based Starr white rum in the odd triangular bottle. I have been told Pink Pigeon rum from Mauritius can also be found in the States but have never had it.

As best I can tell from a very brief search St. Aubin is the only rum that qualifies as rhum agricole in Mauritius and comes in an unaged 100 proof white, several spiced flavors and possibly several aged versions.

http://www.rhumsaintaubin.com/en/index-en.php

Look forward to your impressions!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Malacca. Medium-bodied and mildly off-dry, bright and tropical with cinnamon and grapefruit. Don the Beachcomber, as a gin.

Edited by Rafa (log)

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Also, Branca Menta, which I intended to use in holiday baking, but which I like enough neat and as a substitute for cremes de menthe in cocktails that I'll probably make it a staple of my bar. I'd had it before but it had never made much of an impression.

I also received and assembled a new home bar, but that wasn't bought at a liquor store, so I apologize for this off-topic excursion.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Nothing too seasonally appropriate, I'm afraid. It makes a very good Tom Collins, and I've had success substituting it for light rum in Tiki/tropical drinks, which I've been making a lot of as a flipped bird to the weather. I made a version of the Donga Punch with it that I liked a lot. Not many recipes call for Malacca specifically; I have this ruby port-augmented sour and this flip on my to-try list.

• Like 1

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yay! BCLDB has finally gotten Bulleit Rye. We've had then bourbon for a while, but the rye has only shown up in the past week. Any suggestions for first drink? Just a refill on the Beefeater, gotta have my G&T. Whoever suggested somewhere to add a splash of Campari to a G&T, it makes for a delicious drink, it doesn't taste right to me without it anymore.

019_zpsb40abe5f.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I was feeling a little bit patriotic. I bought two bottles as I'm going to experiment with alchemy and see if I can magically turn one into a bottle of high end rye. Stay tuned, kids.

As for the Rhum I'm still figuring on what'll replace my Banks 5 once I finish it off. It's a bit too hard for me to get in Australia (I imported a bottle from Whisky Exchange and had someone bring me another on the way back from London) and while I like it I don't know if it's quite special enough to justify the expense of importing it.

DSC_0001_zpscabeaa07.jpg

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Bought this right before Christmas:

1499603_10100099309500131_1364004362_n.j

945406_10100099309530071_688167234_n.jpg

Possibly the most superb, iconic (and iconoclastic), and classic independent whisky of my generation has now been discontinued thanks to a lousy sale by the board of directors to Remy Cointreau. The sole dissenting vote was by founder who resurrected the Bruichladdich name and pioneered their approach.

This case assures I have enough for years to come, because we may never see it again. RIP Independent Bruichladdich and the Progressive Hebridean Spirit.

Managed to aquire a number of things recently including some Clement single cask rum, Clement Bleu Canne rum (Ti punch here I come!), a 3yo dark rum from the Netherlands of all places called Flying Dutchman (made by the same distiller, Zuidam, that made one of my favorite unknown ryes, Millstone 100), A couple of interesting Armagacs, Darroze 20 and 1996 Chateau de Pellehaut, as well as a bottle of I have been trying to acquire for a while, the Teeling Vintage Reserve 21yo Single Malt Irish whiskey finished in Sauternes casks.

Clement rum.JPG

Armagnac.JPGTeeling irish.JPG

First picture is a bit dark unfortunately.

I didn't buy any high end rye recently but I may try to practice a bit of alchemy myself and magically turn one that I have in the bunker into an otherwise unobtainable Australian whisky... :cool:

Going to be a busy weekend!

~tanstaafl2

Let us know what you think of the white JM. I love it myself, but haven't compared it to many others.

I've only had it in a mojito so far--a fairly robust mojito, mind, with both the lime and simple scaled back a bit--and thought it was good. Assertive enough to make its slightly musty, grassy presence known. I'll try it in a daiq next, I think.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

My stop the liquor store to restock some Tonic Water(Fever Tree) and Appleton V/X turned slightly more expensive(it always does) as I started to browse. Ended up also grabbing some Cinzano Rosso, which I surprisingly have not tried yet. Also a bottle I have been considering ever since I spotted it a while ago, Maraska Pelinkovac, an Croatian bitter liqueur often compared online to Jagermeister. Worth the risk or under 20.

Tasted the new bottles, and they were both good choices. Cinzano strikes me as kind of between the flavors of M&R and Carpano. Less bitter than Carpano, less sweet than M&R. It has a nice balance. The Pelinkovac is awesome. Not much resemblance to Jager, (though I do like Jager) it is much less sweet, more on par with a drier amaro, like Averna, but it is not rich and spicy. It is deeply bitter, lots of flavor from the wormwood. It could really see this working in cocktails.

It works nicely in a Last Word. Do not under any circumstances--even the sort of apocalypse Cormac McCarthy might write about--use that shit with tonic water, tho'. No matter what. Never ever.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Yes sir, Mr Taylor, whatever you say, Mr Taylor.

We had a Supercool Vieux Carré from Kindred and found it most acceptable.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory